Poll: Do you believe there can be a cure to death?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Cure for death?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2011, 04:33 PM
RE: Cure for death?
I like that point, defining eugenics as bad because Nazi's used it. Never heard that fallacy before. Could have sworn it went something along the lines of Nazi's leaders were X, therefore X is bad. Also just because I don't have this mapped out, complete and on Obama's desk without flaws doesn't make your point better.

I like part where you assume IQ would be the only basis. Sorry again, as I said before, for not having a full report on your desk.

On the matter of medical advances being able to stop defects such as homosexuality, it all depends on what light that it would be cast in. It appears to be a defect in evolutions standards so it all depends on what we define as right.

I will end my statement with this:
To say that everyone is equal and despite disorders and diseases everyone should be allowed to pass on genes is rhetorical nonsense. We are not equal, simple fact. I am not a good model type for human replication, you might be so inclined to say so about your self if you are humble enough. I know there are people smarter, faster, and more talented than me. Who is to say our species future shouldn't be in their hands.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-10-2011, 05:47 PM
(12-01-2011 04:19 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  Some of you should read this book:
It's about a man who lives for 2,000 years.
[Image: 0441810764.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif]

Heinlein presents us with a mixed bag here, and he wrote it around the time his carotid arteries clogged up and cognitively impaired him for several years.

On the one hand, his hero Lazarus Long builds up an impressive resume just from living a really long time and having to acquire so many skills.

Yet on the other hand, Lazarus can't figure out what to do with his extreme longevity, which other humans have to a lesser degree, other than to live a standard human life, over and over again. That means he moves to a planet, gets married, fathers a bunch of kids, rears them to maturity, divorces or outlives his wife, and then moves some place else to start the process all over again.

No wonder he got bored. On top of that, he turned really curmudgeonly, like a super version of that uncle or grandfather in everyone's family who lived through the Depression and had to tell you about what he learned from all his hardships, whether you wanted to hear that stuff or not. It makes you wonder if the very mortal & short-lived Heinlein did that in mixed company in real life.
28-12-2012, 07:10 PM
Religions would want to stop it though, they'd probably say something along the lines
We have to expose the lies and wrong doings of the government. Such as the illegality of marijuana and psychedelic drugs. Religion teaches you to close your mind and divides the masses, while the government controls society. Psychedelics open your mind and are illegal for fear of the recognition of the state of humanity. We have to destroy religion, unite the human race and revise the government .
Summary: First we expose the lies, then we find the cure for death.
28-12-2012, 09:15 PM
(29-11-2010 03:18 AM)AshleyApathy Wrote:  For a while now, I've believed that there is a cure to death. And with religion, it's setting us back.. Because every one is thinking were meant to die and go to a place in the sky, etc, etc. But, I truly believe there is a cure for death.. Is any one else with me on this? If so, state what you think can contribute to the cure. If you oppose, that's fine too. I figured I'd get some negative nancys lol.

Until we can determine the cause of aging and death, this remains a problem to be solved.

But even if you could have eternal life and youth, would you want it?

"Immortality has become unbearable."
-Q (Star Trek: Voyager)

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
29-12-2012, 06:43 AM
(29-11-2010 10:16 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(29-11-2010 04:17 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  If you were careful you still die because your DNA breaks down the more it is reproduced. If we found a way to have the DNA replicate itself perfectly every time then yes, there is the cure for old age, and if just about anything can be cured a very careful and health person could, in theory, be immortal.

Perfect DNA reproduction is = cure for death.

Which basically means that there can't be a cure for death.

Your DNA "breaks down" during replication by dropping a few things from the end of the chromosome. Your body has a built-in buffer against this in the form of "telomeres", a region of DNA which basically does nothing but get a little shorter when it replicates. This is why you age - when your telomeres run out, your cells can't replicate any more.

As far as we know, it's not possible for DNA to replicate without shortening the chromosome. The only cure for death would be to freeze your cells in place, keeping them from replicating entirely.

Of course, I'm no biologist, so I'm probably dead wrong here.
They can replicate, but they they lose information and they lose function. After awhile they cease functioning at all.

Actually cancer cells replicate forever if I am not mistaken.
23-07-2013, 04:35 PM
death cannnot be cures per say... but it could be vacinated against... symbiotic AIs could form a artifical psudo-imortal soul as it where...

that could be the basis for a way to live on after death.

but that would require some special rules for the death i beilve...

something almost ansestor worship like...

the dead would be owed our referance but in turn be obligated to serve by providing their knowlage and exprenece.

robotic bodies would be a privlage...

there would have to be ansestral server crypts to host the living death

and at some point a copy might be merged into a hive mind while the original was taken temporarily of the server to be then be activated again later to live again and again on demand or according to scedule older Soul AIs might even be ent out into space as more robust space travelers