Poll: Do you believe there can be a cure to death?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Cure for death?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-01-2011, 09:12 AM
RE: Cure for death?
In principle, the expansion of space will continue in an accelerating rate. It means that energy (wich will never be more, than now, nor will be less) will be divided in a greater space, so less energy is fallen in a given piece of space. There will always be particles, otherwise there would be no matter to bear energy. It's all about density. Where today there is a galaxy (wich bears enourmus amount of energy), after a time there will be probably one foton (bearing almost no energy compared to a galaxy), beacause energy will never be more, but space WILL be more. . So yeah, the universe will not really end, but if a large space (let's say a Mpc^3) bears almost no energy ( let's say a foton), the universe itself ceases to be measurable, so we can say that it stopped existing. IN PRINCIPLE!

..."we can be truly free - not because we can rebel against the the tyranny of the selfish replicators but because we know that there is no one to rebel."
Susan Blackmore : The Meme Machine
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-01-2011, 09:29 AM
And in that state where it stretches out and each vast region has a photon's amount of energy , couldn't a quantum fluctuation cause a Big Crunch and reverse the universe to the condensed state before the Big Bang ? (just guessing here)
28-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Actually a a quantum fluctuation under no condition could cause Big Bang or a Big Crunch. A quantum fluctuation is basically the fact that a particle or a field, has no exact amount of energy, it has X+-Z energy, where Z is about half the energy of a light-foton, but has no exact amount. Sometimes a particle "burrowes" that Z energy, and then, after the tinyiest fraction of a second, it "gives it back". Fields can also do this. One possible way this could affect Big Bang, is that theese random fluctuations destabilized the singularity (the tiny hot point from where the universe is supposed to be originate), therefore making it explode.
This is only as far as I know, I'm not a quantum pyhsicist (I wish I would be).
ANd yeah it woould be awesome to write a SF novel Big Grin

..."we can be truly free - not because we can rebel against the the tyranny of the selfish replicators but because we know that there is no one to rebel."
28-01-2011, 11:38 AM
How do you understand particle physics and cosmology so well ???

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
28-01-2011, 01:45 PM

If anyone as read Asimov's "Last Question" I think it deals nicely with the issue of infinite life vs the finite life of the universe and the relentless march of entropy.

http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html
Quote this message in a reply
28-01-2011, 03:39 PM
I'll give it a look , thanks .

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
01-02-2011, 02:48 PM
It's an awesome writning, true Asimow. :O
BTW this kind of physics is not that comlicated (on this level). Read one or two books from Michio Kaku (you might know him, he's always on Discovery Channel) and you are already an expert.

27-08-2011, 12:43 PM

As a species, we could evolve out of it. But this would be when we evolve out of our meat sacks. Maybe a little natural selection mixed with our own technology. You might enjoy Asimov's short story 'The Last Question':

(27-08-2011 12:43 PM)HarleyQuinn Wrote:  As a species, we could evolve out of it. But this would be when we evolve out of our meat sacks. Maybe a little natural selection mixed with our own technology. You might enjoy Asimov's short story 'The Last Question':

EDITED: I missed your post that referred the same story, Truthaddict. Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2011, 12:56 PM
I'm lazy and thus not interested in reading all six pages previously. This may have come up. There is a cure for death, two actually.

Not being born, and death itself. If I'm dead I can't die. If indeed I am never born I cannot die. I am an asshole smart ass. Continue on with what is probably a very serious discussion.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-09-2011, 12:14 AM
I had heard that it may be possible to some day download the information in your brain to a hard drive to run in a computer or perhaps robotic body. I think someday that might be possible if we don't kill our selves off by then. If it's soon I'd hope I could be a robot Big Grin If they could build one that could feel and such even near like a human then I'd say I'd RATHER have a robotic body. I'm sure there are a lot of problems with this but Id rather live with mechanical and software problems vs any biological problems that I might some day experience.

(Explanation of my want blah blah feel free to not read)
Std's, cancer, broken bones with severe pain, runny noses, hunger, fatigue. These things would not be completely cured or gone for me but they would be prolonged. I don't want eternal life, but an extra 200 years would be nice, that is to say before a mental or physical break down. To think that i only have realistically 50-60 years before my mind and body go to hell on me is purely saddening in the world i exist in. I'm a happy man, but at 21 with a jot at McDonalds, living with my girlfriend i recently moved to, it's hard to look at the next 5 years and say well there's 1/10th of the rest of my life wasted JUST for getting started on my new life. the first 20 where I accomplished little are hard enough to look back at even forgiving that I was young.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Living better through not dying Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Death. Floresjose 81 1,954 02-05-2014 09:20 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan
  Is it weird that I've never mourned a death? germanyt 44 3,949 24-07-2013 10:35 PM
Last Post: TheCynicalOptimist
  On death and dying -- food for thought for atheists Zatamon 48 3,436 27-04-2013 11:10 PM
Last Post: childeye
  On Death and Dying Zat 10 530 06-02-2013 09:22 AM
Last Post: Seppela
  How to deal with death? WeAreOne 23 1,115 25-10-2012 01:51 PM
Last Post: WeAreOne
  Death anf Non-Self. Mr Woof 11 979 11-06-2012 11:59 PM
Last Post: Mr Woof
  Death and dying. bemore 25 2,079 21-11-2011 01:58 AM
Last Post: houseofcantor