Cure for pain in the neck

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2018, 12:56 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2018 12:59 PM by BikerDude.)
Cure for pain in the neck
Not the metaphorical pain in the neck.
The actual one.
I admit that it's probably about 90% stress related.
The wife has some through a long series of health issues. In and out of the hospital.
Which caused me to miss some work. Which costs me money since I work as a private contractor. And then work gets piled up which produces stress. Around and around we go. And my schedule.
I get up every morning at 4:30AM and commute to work.
And I'm an old former athlete with a laundry list of aches and pains.
It has all manifest in a stiff neck. That I can't shake.
I use a heated neck massager and that helps for a while but then it comes back.
https://www.amazon.com/Zyllion-ZMA13BK-S...k+massager

I literally can crane my neck to the side and hear the snap crackle pops.
And it's leading to headaches now.

[Image: barfly_condenados_pelo_vicio.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post
06-02-2018, 01:27 PM
RE: Cure for pain in the neck
Desiccated disks in your neck.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-02-2018, 01:48 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2018 01:57 PM by Rockblossom.)
I've had neck/shoulder pain for lots of years. Most of the time it is at a level I can live with, but it occasionally gets a lot worse. I've tried a lot of things, including a massager much like yours. Other stuff that, in some kind of rotation, seem to help:

A TENS device. I move the pads around over sore spots and gradually turn up the volume until it stings just a bit without being outright painful. They come in all sizes and shapes at various prices, but oddly, the one that works best for me is a cheap, weird-looking Chinese-made thing that I got in a box of random tech stuff from I-Tech Deals. Amazon has a buttload of different devices with good ratings. Just don't assume that an expensive one with lots of bells/whistles and fancy electronics will work better than the cheep-o ones.

Infrared light therapy thingie. These tend to be expensive with mixed reviews. They work best for healing strained muscles, but mine has helped with reducing neck pain and making exercise less painful. I also used mine to help clear up an ear infection. May not be worth the cost unless you've already tried one and know it will help.

Exercise. Big Grin Yeah. Stretching, neck rotations and stuff. Boring, but cheap.

Switching hands for stuff. Not actually switching hands, because I never seem to be able to keep an extra set around. But I do move the 'puter mouse from one side to the other and use the left hand for a while, then right. (I'm "ambi-mouse-terous") I also do most precision stuff with my right (dominant) hand, but use remotes with my left. It took some deliberate retraining, but now it feels kind of odd to pick up the TV or Roku remote with my right hand.

Medication. Your mileage may vary. For me, Aleve actually helps but has some unpleasant side effects, and even mild opioids have downright horrible side effects, so I tend to avoid pills. Alcohol works on occasion. Angel

A spinal alignment board. I've used this one for about 20 years. The first time I tried to use it I stayed on it for about 0.5 seconds before yelping in pain and rolling off. I finally got up to about 15 minutes at a time, and it helped with some old shoulder pain and back pain as well as neck pain. If the muscles around the spine are in good shape, lying on it is still uncomfortable but not painful. If it ever becomes a pleasant experience .. {something here about masochistic tendencies} Unsure

The "gravelly feel" when you rotate your neck is called crepitus

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering." The (4th) Doctor
[+] 1 user Likes Rockblossom's post
06-02-2018, 01:55 PM
If you spend much time in front of a computer, consider your posture and the angle/distance you are from the screen.

Glasses. Uncorrected issues with eye sight can also cause neck pain.

Pillow. Maybe you need more, or less or a different type of pillow. You spend a long stretch of time sleeping. Make sure your head rests effortlessly.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
06-02-2018, 02:02 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2018 02:18 PM by BikerDude.)
(06-02-2018 01:48 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  I've had neck/shoulder pain for lots of years. Most of the time it is at a level I can live with, but it occasionally gets a lot worse. I've tried a lot of things, including a massager much like yours. Other stuff that, in some kind of rotation, seem to help:

A TENS device. I move the pads around over sore spots and gradually turn up the volume until it stings just a bit without being outright painful. They come in all sizes and shapes at various prices, but oddly, the one that works best for me is a cheap, weird-looking Chinese-made thing that I got in a box of random tech stuff from I-Tech Deals. Amazon has a buttload of different devices with good ratings. Just don't assume that an expensive one with lots of bells/whistles and fancy electronics will work better than the cheep-o ones.

Infrared light therapy thingie. These tend to be expensive with mixed reviews. They work best for healing strained muscles, but mine has helped with reducing neck pain and making exercise less painful. I also used mine to help clear up an ear infection. May not be worth the cost unless you've already tried one and know it will help.

Exercise. Big Grin Yeah. Stretching, neck rotations and stuff. Boring, but cheap.

Switching hands for stuff. Not actually switching hands, because I never seem to be able to keep an extra set around. But I do move the 'puter mouse from one side to the other and use the left hand for a while, then right. (I'm "ambi-mouse-terous") I also do most precision stuff with my right (dominant) hand, but use remotes with my left. It took some deliberate retraining, but now it feels kind of odd to pick up the TV or Roku remote with my right hand.

Medication. Your mileage may vary. For me, Aleve actually helps but has some unpleasant side effects, and even mild opioids have downright horrible side effects, so I tend to avoid pills. Alcohol works on occasion. Angel

A spinal alignment board. I've used this one for about 20 years. The first time I tried to use it I stayed on it for about 0.5 seconds before yelping in pain and rolling off. I finally got up to about 15 minutes at a time, and it helped with some old shoulder pain and back pain as well as neck pain. If the muscles around the spine are in good shape, lying on it is still uncomfortable but not painful. If it ever becomes a pleasant experience .. {something here about masochistic tendencies} Unsure

The tens device sounds like the thing I have.
It has 6 big round balls that go round and round. 3 on each side.
And it heats up.
If I get it just right I can take it right up to the level of almost pain. And it feels awesome. And I can get it at the top of my neck and feel the cords going "boing boing boing" everytime it goes around. Eventually the boing boing goes away.
I take that as having loosened up my freaking rubber bands.
But I have a hard time turning to look back up the road for traffic at some intersections. If they are not 90 degrees and I need to really crane my head around I'm screwed. I turn the mirror to see.

I have eaten ibuprofen for years. I'm trying to stay away as much as possible because I'm worried about the effects long term on my liver. And my stomach.
My stomach isn't what it once was.

I've never seen the spinal alignment board before.

The chiropractor is always an option but opinions vary on how good/dangerous they are.
The guy I used to see could crack my neck and it did work.
But I've heard if they screw up and don't do it right you die. Literally.
And a chiropractor broke my father's hip.
He had problems with his hips. He was old and truth is they needed to be replaced.
But he tried the chiropractor and the guy broke his hip.
Didn't admit it.
Just set him loose and he want home and couldn't get out of bed.
Ended up having both hips replaced.

06-02-2018, 02:14 PM
(06-02-2018 01:55 PM)Dom Wrote:  If you spend much time in front of a computer, consider your posture and the angle/distance you are from the screen.

Pillow. Maybe you need more, or less or a different type of pillow. You spend a long stretch of time sleeping. Make sure your head rests effortlessly.

Probably all of that.
I spend all day in front of a computer screen.
I'm not really sure what posture would help.
I do slump.

I have slept on the floor in the past with some success. Mostly for low back pain.
This level of neck pain is new.
I usually only get tightness that I've always attributed to stress.
Now it's gone to Frankenstein levels.

06-02-2018, 02:23 PM
(06-02-2018 02:02 PM)BikerDude Wrote:  The tens device sounds like the thing I have.
It has 6 big round balls that go round and round. 3 on each side.

That's a shiatsu massager. A TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) device uses pads attached to your skin to send electrical pulses through your nerves and muscles. (I think of it as electroshock therapy for misbehaving nerves.) Best rated TENS devices. Here's a well-rated one on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-Warranty...lth0e2d-20

Quote:I have eaten ibuprofen for years. I'm trying to stay away as much as possible because I'm worried about the effects long term on my liver. And my stomach.
My stomach isn't what it once was.

Same here, since I had bad migraines. Now my tolerance for NSAIDS of any type is limited, so I don't use them much.

Quote: I've never seen the spinal alignment board before.

It's kind of a medieval torture device, except modern, plastic, and portable. It was designed by a chiropractor. There are different types, but the one I use seems to be the best.

Quote:The chiropractor is always an option but opinions vary on how good/dangerous they are.
I know the guy I used to see could crack my neck and it did work.
The right ones with the right training can help. Finding one who isn't a quack can be a long search.

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering." The (4th) Doctor
06-02-2018, 02:26 PM
If you want to waste your money, go to a chiroquackter. They do nothing but give you a massage and try to break your bones.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-02-2018, 02:38 PM
(06-02-2018 02:14 PM)BikerDude Wrote:  
(06-02-2018 01:55 PM)Dom Wrote:  If you spend much time in front of a computer, consider your posture and the angle/distance you are from the screen.

Probably all of that.
I spend all day in front of a computer screen.
I'm not really sure what posture would help.
I do slump.

I have slept on the floor in the past with some success. Mostly for low back pain.
This level of neck pain is new.
I usually only get tightness that I've always attributed to stress.
Now it's gone to Frankenstein levels.

I have glasses with transition lenses for normal wear (can be a bitch to get used to but heavenly once your eyes learn) and a pair of normal glasses just for the computer, based on measurement of distance between eye and computer. Made loads of difference for me.

It is also better to look slightly down at your screen, rather than up. If you slouch, you maybe sitting there with a scrunched neck, looking up. Bad news.

For me, the final solution was an (expensive) massage chair that also stretches you. I love that thing and it is worth every penny. I use it every day. My back and neck are a good 20 years younger than the rest of me, or so it feels. And they are getting younger by the day. I can't say enough good things about those chairs.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
06-02-2018, 02:43 PM
(06-02-2018 02:23 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  That's a shiatsu massager. A TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) device uses pads attached to your skin to send electrical pulses through your nerves and muscles. (I think of it as electroshock therapy for misbehaving nerves.) Best rated TENS devices. Here's a well-rated one on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-Warranty...lth0e2d-20

Oh no shit!
I gotta get me one of those.
White boy afro time!