Curing Down Syndrome

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2013, 02:09 PM (This post was last modified: 26-10-2013 02:28 PM by Youkay.)
RE: Curing Down Syndrome
(26-10-2013 12:48 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Wouldn't this be more of a prevention than a cure for Down Syndrome if it were to be effective.

I mean, once someone is born with DS, you can't reverse it, right?

Just trying to see if I am comprehending the OP and other posts correctly.

DS cannot be reversed, that is correct.

The research presented in the paper that this "news" refers to serves the sole purpose of identifying factors that are responsible for a phenotype that is similar to DS. The conclusion, that the same factor, that leads to this specific phenotype is also responsible for DS is arguable. And I am sure there will be a lot of debate on this and a lot of follow up experiments need to be done to really prove this in any ways. Personally, I doubt that using mice with a DS-like phenotype is the right approach.

The paper never claims to have found a way to cure DS. And even if, it would be ridiculous, because the used methods for inverting this DS-like phenotype are very invasive and unacceptable for human treatment. In addition, there is always the complication that even though mice are very close to humans, findings which are true for mice might ultimately be false for humans and need to be verified.

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-10-2013, 04:31 PM
I was referring to the title of the thread when I used the word cure. I just wanted to see if I was understanding correctly that the intent is a potential for prevention of DS (be that in mice or humans or whatever.)

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
26-10-2013, 08:40 PM
The key points are:

There was no intent to prevent DS.

The long term goal of this research group is to find treatment for DS symptoms.

Their conclusion from their findings is very controversial and needs a lot of verification before it can be accepted scientifically.

If there is anything unclear or difficult to understand, please ask me to explain and I'm happy to oblige Smile I know that some words and concepts may be unknown or unfamiliar for some people who didn't study the subject.

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.