Curiosity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2015, 10:49 AM
Curiosity
Is there anything you have been innately curious about?

From tiny tot on, I have always been fascinated with animals and plants. How are they different from us, how do they learn (they evolve, hence they have to learn), how can we communicate with them, and just everything about them and how they see/cope with life.

There are all kinds of questions about them in my mind all the time - we really know very little about them, we are so species centric in our knowledge.

So, I worked towards a retirement where I can follow this curiosity while enjoying all the creature comforts of human retirement.

What are you curious about, and what would you want to be your focus once you leave the work force?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2015, 10:52 AM
RE: Curiosity
(11-06-2015 10:49 AM)Dom Wrote:  Is there anything you have been innately curious about?

From tiny tot on, I have always been fascinated with animals and plants. How are they different from us, how do they learn (they evolve, hence they have to learn), how can we communicate with them, and just everything about them and how they see/cope with life.

There are all kinds of questions about them in my mind all the time - we really know very little about them, we are so species centric in our knowledge.

So, I worked towards a retirement where I can follow this curiosity while enjoying all the creature comforts of human retirement.

What are you curious about, and what would you want to be your focus once you leave the work force?

The female body. So beautiful. I just love it. That is why I married a hot one I can experiment on with.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 4 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
11-06-2015, 11:00 AM
I'm curious as to how we arrived here. From the beginning...if it truly was a beginning....13.5 billion years ago. I would love to know that, in certainty, before I die. But, alas, I probably will die with question unanswered. Sleepy

**Crickets** -- God
11-06-2015, 11:01 AM
(11-06-2015 10:49 AM)Dom Wrote:  Is there anything you have been innately curious about?

I am intensely curious about many things -- mathematics, physics, music, literature, philosophy, religion, chess. I could happily spend my retirment (or even an entire lifetime) studying any or all of those. One of my lifelong problems has been the inability to narrow that down and focus on just one thing.
11-06-2015, 11:02 AM
Serial killers.

I could never take a life without just cause (self preservation, defense of another) and even then I'd still think there would be hesitation.

But for someone to be compelled to kill others, most without remorse, is a psychologically fascinating aspect of humanity.
[+] 4 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
11-06-2015, 11:08 AM

For me it would be people. I'm always curious as to what's going in another persons head, their lives, and beliefs. All that goes into shaping who they are. Those things we have in common, and those things that make us a bit alien to each other.

To me everyone is interesting, especially when there are only a few questions off the table.
[+] 2 users Like Tomasia's post
11-06-2015, 11:29 AM
Agree definitely with animals and serial killers, and specific to both would be an overall fascination with psychology, human and animal. I'm curious about anything remotely scientific really. Also religion/philosophy/politics, but I suppose I still examine those in the light of psychology, particularly cognitive biases.

Other things I'm innately curious about would be flight/aerodynamics, astronomy, astrophysics, medicine, and biology. I'm kind of a jack of all trades with respect to sciences really. Never cared too much for history or literature though, not "innately" at least.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes MustangManda's post
11-06-2015, 11:46 AM
I'm curious about history and how people lived in the distant past. I wanna know what they wore, what they ate, how did they wash their hair, how did men shave their beards, how were shoes made, what they thought about life, how and why did they travel, what did people do to sustain themselves. I'd have a thousand pesky questions if I could time travel into the past.

I'm always reading biographies of historical people or books about the lives of ordinary people, if I can find them. I'm amazed that we're still alive as a species when I read about the lives of our ancient ancestors.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
11-06-2015, 12:09 PM
XX century history is something that I find curious. How ideologies and people believing in them caused so much suffering. Why men like Lenin or Hitler were able to gain power. These are thing that I'm curious about.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
11-06-2015, 12:11 PM
I'm extremely curious about the Universe, the sheer number of stars out there, how it all works out there. And are we alone?
Chemistry also facinates me to no end, watching process take place that result in whole new compounds from an original set of molecules, atoms or compounds. even something as simple as hydrogen combustion 2H2 + O2 = 2 H2O + 572 KJ

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
[+] 1 user Likes Worom's post