Curiosity: Did God create the Universe? (feat. Stephen Hawking)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-08-2011, 07:29 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2011 09:22 PM by Paleo.)
Curiosity: Did God create the Universe? (feat. Stephen Hawking)
Did anyone see this on Discovery earlier? It will be playing again at 11 PM EST.

I don't want to spoil it but... well, those of you who know of Hawking's opinion on the subject may know what he concludes in the end.

Oh, I found it on youtube as well:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

EDIT: There was also a conversation afterwards between scientists and theologians, I just found it on youtube:

Part 1
Part 2

Ugggh... the more Michio Kaku opens his mouth about things concerning god or evolution (that big think video a while back), the more I want to tell him to put up or shut up. He's very well-spoken, but he's losing credibility from me personally.

"Science is interesting, if you don't agree, you can fuck off."
Go to my youtube channel and subscribe please!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2011, 08:34 PM
RE: Curiosity: Did God create the Universe? (feat. Stephen Hawking)
(07-08-2011 07:29 PM)Paleo Wrote:  Did anyone see this on Discovery earlier? It will be playing again at 11 PM EST.

I don't want to spoil it but... well, those of you who know of Hawking's opinion on the subject may know what he concludes in the end.

Oh, I found it on youtube as well:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

I just watched it. It was very nicely done but not many aspects of it were groundbreaking to what I've learned in previous shows or other locations. It's a good watch, cool that it's on the youtuber
08-08-2011, 12:52 PM
I think we should have the Church of Discovery channel, I just love that channel that much.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
08-08-2011, 01:06 PM
the person who played galilalo looked a dwarf or gnome out of lord of the rings with that beard.

"In real life , as opposed to that happy, clappy, rainbow fantasy world that you see fit to fly through´╗┐ on your winged unicorn of delusion" - Mitchell and Webb
09-08-2011, 12:51 PM
I watched the whole documentary and man it is so good. The conclusion and the explanation how nothing can be before the Big Bang, not even God, is so amazing. No time, no God, simple as that. Take that you theists, have your God now!!

Smile

-Hunter S. Thompson
10-08-2011, 01:16 AM
I'm not a huge fan of Stephen Hawking, he has a tendency to decorate things to quite an extent when he's on TV, but he did quite well in this one. I enjoyed it. Good program and I can't wait to see more episodes.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MindprowlerMusic
10-08-2011, 01:31 AM
I watched it and enjoyed it.

By the way:

http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comments...ur_thanks/

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
10-08-2011, 01:39 AM
Ugh, definitely a good idea to send them a support mail, to balance all that dreadful religious hate mail... Come on people, do this for the sake of next episodes like this one.

P.S.
Database is down, so at this moment you can not send the mail, but try a bit later.

-Hunter S. Thompson
10-08-2011, 01:49 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2011 02:08 PM by Efrx86.)
Not to discourage shows or articles with subjects like the ones Curiosity deals with, but this image describes them perfectly:

[Image: 20101126.gif]
From: http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=...2075#comic
By the way the contact form is back up. I'm lazy right now so I copied one of the user comments from reddit, modified it just a little bit and submitted it. It's the thought that counts Big Grin

Thank you. Words alone cannot express how grateful I am to your network for the first episode of Curiosity concerning the universe and lack of a creator. Whether or not people who watched it changed their minds or steadfastly remain religious, you allowed a scientific explanation presented by one of the smartest men in the world to at least further the discussion. Finally, people can have an open discourse regarding whether there is or there isn't a creator. If nothing else I hope that viewers will study our origins themselves, even in an attempt to debunk what they saw, because for the masses to seek education regarding our existence is what will pave the way to a more intellectual and successful future. I know you may receive a lot of hate mail from religious groups, but rest assured, there are many of us out there who support scientific inquiry no matter the subject. Please continue these television shows!

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
10-08-2011, 09:21 PM
There was also a conversation afterwards between scientists and theologians, I just found it on youtube:

Part 1
Part 2

Ugggh... the more Michio Kaku opens his mouth about things concerning god or evolution (that big think video a while back), the more I want to tell him to put up or shut up. He's very well-spoken, but he's losing credibility from me personally.

"Science is interesting, if you don't agree, you can fuck off."
Go to my youtube channel and subscribe please!