Curiosity has discovered organic matter on Mars

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2014, 10:06 PM
This is really tantalizing, I hope that we see evidence of life on other planets in my lifetime. It's possible that life could be on six different planetary bodies in our solar system.

Quote:The Curiosity rover has found and analysed the first definitively identified piece of organic matter on the surface of Mars.

These organic molecules, consisting primarily of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen atoms, are the building blocks of all life on Earth. However, it is important to note that these molecules may not have come from life forms on Mars -- organic molecules can be created from chemical processes that do not involve life, NASA said. At this stage, there is not enough evidence to determine the provenance of the molecules -- but either way, their presence has meaning.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like TheInquisition's post
18-12-2014, 11:39 PM
RE: Curiosity has discovered organic matter on Mars
(18-12-2014 10:06 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  This is really tantalizing, I hope that we see evidence of life on other planets in my lifetime. It's possible that life could be on six different planetary bodies in our solar system.

Quote:The Curiosity rover has found and analysed the first definitively identified piece of organic matter on the surface of Mars.

These organic molecules, consisting primarily of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen atoms, are the building blocks of all life on Earth. However, it is important to note that these molecules may not have come from life forms on Mars -- organic molecules can be created from chemical processes that do not involve life, NASA said. At this stage, there is not enough evidence to determine the provenance of the molecules -- but either way, their presence has meaning.

Probably just jettisoned alien poop as they flew by on the way to Earth.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
19-12-2014, 06:15 AM
Have the Christians reacted already?

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
19-12-2014, 06:42 AM
"organic matter" here is a bit strong.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
19-12-2014, 06:43 AM
(19-12-2014 06:15 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Have the Christians reacted already?

"god did it" what the hell else can we even expect from them ? Dodgy

I'm more curious as to what kind of life it would be ? after all all life on earth is carbon based so I wonder what stuff these things are made of ?, there is no reason that all life in the universe should be carbon based
19-12-2014, 08:27 AM
(19-12-2014 06:43 AM)Ace Wrote:  
(19-12-2014 06:15 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Have the Christians reacted already?

"god did it" what the hell else can we even expect from them ? Dodgy

I'm more curious as to what kind of life it would be ? after all all life on earth is carbon based so I wonder what stuff these things are made of ?, there is no reason that all life in the universe should be carbon based

There is good reason to suppose that carbon-based life is the most likely because of the chemical properties of carbon.
19-12-2014, 08:40 AM
This does not surprise me, all the atoms in the universe started in the same place.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-12-2014, 09:37 AM
(19-12-2014 06:42 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  "organic matter" here is a bit strong.

Indeed. There are many non-living sources of such "organic" compounds here on Earth.

I get that sensationalism is about the only way for scientific press releases to get any coverage whatsoever, but still - it's annoying!

... this is my signature!