Yay! It landed okay

Banana_zorroBanana_zorroBanana_zorroBanana_zorroBanana_zorroBanana_zorro

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like aurora's post
06-08-2012, 12:01 AM
RE: Curiosity is landing soon!
Watching the crazy human love was worth it, too. Ha ha!
06-08-2012, 12:04 AM
[Image: curiosityingalecrater.jpg]
We're on Mars again. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
06-08-2012, 12:12 AM
Quote:This "thumbnail" image illustrates the size of the first image expected from NASA's Curiosity rover. It was taken by a rover engineering model during a test session in the Mars Yard at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif. The rover model snapped the picture through the "fisheye" lens of one of its Hazard-Avoidance cameras. The thumbnail, which is 64 pixels by 64 pixels, is a smaller version of a larger image acquired by the hazard camera (full-resolution images are 1,024 by 1,024 pixels). When Curiosity lands at 10:31 p.m. Aug. 5 PDT (1:31 a.m. Aug. 6 EDT), it will most likely not send any images back until about two hours after landing, during a second pass of NASA's signal-relaying Odyssey orbiter. However, it's possible the rover will beam back just a thumbnail the same size as this one shortly after landing. During the second Odyssey pass, larger hazard camera images up to one-half of full resolution are expected. As planned, Curiosity's early engineering images are lower resolution. Larger color images are expected later in the week when the rover's mast, carrying high-resolution cameras, is deployed. Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech

This will be sweet! It's exciting to know there will be photos to look forward to.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
06-08-2012, 12:16 AM
Not gonna lie, that made me a little weepy.

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you.
[+] 3 users Like Pavlov's_Ape's post
06-08-2012, 12:34 AM
[Image: curiosity2ndpic.jpg]
Here's another view. A few rocks are well defined in this one.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
06-08-2012, 07:17 AM
woot! Congrats to the entire team that made this possible. I can't wait for the first color hi-res images later in the week.
[+] 1 user Likes devilsadvoc8's post
06-08-2012, 07:52 AM
Heres whos controlling it.......
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvhMjpEKHpAJ_i5PIMC4G...aDmUDP9nPA]

Achievement Unlocked for 100G - Succesfully land on mars.

It is exciting... yet I wonder if they did find anything (like structures/pyramids or anything similar) if they would actually show people..... In all of its HD beauty.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
06-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Here is the very first picture from Curiosity.

[Image: 255240_504332439596214_1147023620_n.jpg]

He was working on the illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator when we showed up.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 3 users Like BnW's post
06-08-2012, 08:57 AM
This was an extremely costly mission - the most expensive one yet. Fully calculated, it cost each person in the US $7.00. I would be willing to provide not only my $7, but ten other peoples share. Truth be told, it wouldn't even be as much as I pay for my art museum membership each year. What I receive in return is not only a misty moment of wonderment or entertainment. This is an investment in vision - an investment in the future.

This image provides an example of the type of data collected by the Chemistry and Camera -ChemCam- just one instrument on the Mars Science Laboratory mission's Curiosity rover. This is a small portion of what one can get for $7.00...

[Image: chemcam.jpg]
The instrument uses a laser to generate a flash of ionized plasma on a target such as a rock, while observing the target with spectrometers receiving light through a telescope. Peaks in the intensity of light emitted at specific wavelengths are indicators of specific chemical elements in the target. The horizontal scale is wavelengths, in nanometers. Researchers will use the tools on the rover to study whether the landing region has had environmental conditions favorable for supporting microbial life and favorable for preserving clues about whether life existed.

ChemCam was conceived, designed and built by a U.S.-French team led by Los Alamos National Laboratory in Los Alamos, N. M.; NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.; the Centre National d'Études Spatiales (the French government space agency); and the Centre d'Étude Spatiale des Rayonnements at the Observatoire Midi-Pyrénées, Toulouse, France. The US are not the only visionaries. Wink

[+] 4 users Like kim's post