Curiosity is landing soon!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2012, 11:00 AM
RE: Curiosity is landing soon!
(11-08-2012 10:55 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(11-08-2012 10:52 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Has this been posted yet?

Apparently not, because this is the first time I've been impressed by the Curiosity Hoopla. Thumbsup

Edit: Assuming that's Curiosity and not Spirit.Confused

That's the latest panoramic from Curiosity.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2012, 11:10 AM
(11-08-2012 11:00 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(11-08-2012 10:55 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Apparently not, because this is the first time I've been impressed by the Curiosity Hoopla. Thumbsup

Edit: Assuming that's Curiosity and not Spirit.Confused

That's the latest panoramic from Curiosity.

Reminds me of post-industrial Wales.
Move along
Nothing to see, here.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
11-08-2012, 11:46 AM
So here's a question for you sciency Marsy types...
Why do they keep landing these things in boring, barren wastelands? I want to see close up pics of the face of Sedona and the irrigation canals and the crystal cities. No

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
11-08-2012, 04:33 PM
(11-08-2012 10:04 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(11-08-2012 03:49 AM)reb Wrote:  Hello lovely people...

Thanks so much for your comments about my Mars landing HOAX post over at The Daily Trash..

However the "evidence" that the entire charade is a fabricated attempt to re-elect Barack Obama is now coming in thick and fast.

What's more, with thanks to our "exclusive sources," we have obtained secret photos taken at the production studios where the entire elaborate hoax was filmed.....!

This is going to EXPLODE!!

http://thedailytrash.wordpress.com/2012/...x-is-real/

You are doing God's work. May your website last 1,000 years.

Bless you my child. However it is unlikely that my website will last 1,000 years. I'm already in my 40's so it's unlikely that I'll live for another 900 years. Of course it would be a different story if I were a scientologist. Those Thetan dudes can live for a billion years, in a volcano of all places. Why didn't Jesus think of that?
11-08-2012, 04:36 PM
(11-08-2012 04:33 PM)reb Wrote:  
(11-08-2012 10:04 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  You are doing God's work. May your website last 1,000 years.

Bless you my child. However it is unlikely that my website will last 1,000 years. I'm already in my 40's so it's unlikely that I'll live for another 900 years. Of course it would be a different story if I were a scientologist. Those Thetan dudes can live for a billion years, in a volcano of all places. Why didn't Jesus think of that?

You're forgetting God started out that way with the pre-Diluvian Patriarchs like Methuselah and his posse. Apparently living long periods of time leads to the destruction of life on earth, so it's a good thing you won't live that long. Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
12-08-2012, 12:30 AM
Heh: KC - that's Opportunity. Look down at the rover. If you see a mass of solar panels you aren't looking at Curiosity.
Quote:This is the latest panorama released by NASA July 2012. It was assembled from 817 images taken between Dec. 21, 2011, and May 8, 2012, while Opportunity was stationed on an outcrop informally named 'Greeley Haven'. on a segment of the rim of ancient Endeavour Crater.

Try this one: http://www.photojpl.com/curiosity-landin...4fkBPaSqJ/
Quote:Curiosity Landing Site on Mars First HD Panorama of Gale Crater
This is the first 360 degree panorama of Gale Crater landing site on Mars taken by NASA's Curiosity rover. The panorama was made from thumbnail versions of images taken by the Mast Camera and transmitted back to Earth on August 9, 2012.
360 degree panoramic photograph and interactive virtual tour.

It's difficult to get a lot of high def photos back so early in the mission. The bandwidth available to Mars is limited:
Quote:The data rate direct-to-Earth varies from about 500 bits per second to 32,000 bits per second (roughly half as fast as a standard home modem). The data rate to the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter is selected automatically and continuously during communications and can be as high as 2 million bits per second. The data rate to the Odyssey orbiter is a selectable 128,000 or 256,000 bits per second (4-8 times faster than a home modem).
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/mission/com...arth/data/

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
12-08-2012, 03:53 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2012 04:07 AM by DeepThought.)
(12-08-2012 12:30 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  It's difficult to get a lot of high def photos back so early in the mission. The bandwidth available to Mars is limited:
Quote:The data rate direct-to-Earth varies from about 500 bits per second to 32,000 bits per second (roughly half as fast as a standard home modem). The data rate to the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter is selected automatically and continuously during communications and can be as high as 2 million bits per second. The data rate to the Odyssey orbiter is a selectable 128,000 or 256,000 bits per second (4-8 times faster than a home modem).
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/mission/com...arth/data/

I hear that MRO is only in view of the rover for roughly 6 mins/day so the rover uses that time to send as much as possible to the satellite. At 2 megabit roughly 81MB can be transferred in optimal conditions (-10% for protocol overheads)

The data rate from the rover seems to be the limiting factor here. MRO with it's larger antenna and abundant solar power communicates with earth anywhere from 0.5 - 4 megabits/sec (theoretical maximum of 6 megabit/sec).

Imagine what would be possible if there was always a satellite in view of the rover!

I heard that over the coming months MRO and Oddysey will be in view of the rover for longer and longer periods of time - though I could be wrong.

The rover doesn't have enough power available to continuously transmit to earth through it's high gain antenna. It needs to rely on the Mars Satellites to relay most of the data.

I wonder if NASA is considering working with ESA to help relay more data... They have the Mars Express in orbit which could help with extra bandwidth and data relay support for the rover. Extra data is good for everyone.. IMO they should since the rover and the satellites have limited life.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post