Curiosity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2015, 05:29 PM
RE: Curiosity
(11-06-2015 04:30 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I don't know if it's being curious but I like to put things together...like to figure out how to do it. I have a fairly mechanical mind and since dad paid his way through college as a heavy equipment mechanic and my grandfather was a carpenter first and farmer second, I was exposed to a lot of things either being taken apart, put together, or both.

I loved to assemble the kids toys, bikes, etc. I like to put together furniture. I have been known to be armpit deep in a car engine helping out where my small hands can fit where a man's usually can't. My background probably made sewing clothing and other things easier for me since I was accustomed to taking pieces and building something.

Animal innards didn't ever freak me out since my first exposure was at about age six seeing a steer cut in half...I had a bazillion questions...dad wanted to get his rounds done. Undecided

I suppose I am curious about how to make pieces parts become something functional.

Where were you 7 years ago when I spent a month putting together furniture and stuff and cursing, cursing, cursing? The worst was that grill - great grill but it came in a hundred pieces.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
11-06-2015, 05:36 PM
(11-06-2015 05:29 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(11-06-2015 04:30 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I don't know if it's being curious but I like to put things together...like to figure out how to do it. I have a fairly mechanical mind and since dad paid his way through college as a heavy equipment mechanic and my grandfather was a carpenter first and farmer second, I was exposed to a lot of things either being taken apart, put together, or both.

I loved to assemble the kids toys, bikes, etc. I like to put together furniture. I have been known to be armpit deep in a car engine helping out where my small hands can fit where a man's usually can't. My background probably made sewing clothing and other things easier for me since I was accustomed to taking pieces and building something.

Animal innards didn't ever freak me out since my first exposure was at about age six seeing a steer cut in half...I had a bazillion questions...dad wanted to get his rounds done. Undecided

I suppose I am curious about how to make pieces parts become something functional.

Where were you 7 years ago when I spent a month putting together furniture and stuff and cursing, cursing, cursing? The worst was that grill - great grill but it came in a hundred pieces.

I am weird...I like to get out all the pieces and the instructions. Study them and visualize where I am going and seeing the progress along the way.

A few years ago there was something at home that needed to be fixed. Husband worked nights and he said he would do it the next morning. I couldn't stand it and went ahead and figured out how to do the repair myself. I left him a note letting him know. I woke up to a note that began with great big letters....DEAR MISS FIX-IT... I realized that I had to let him do some of those things so that he would feel needed. Big Grin

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
11-06-2015, 05:58 PM
(11-06-2015 12:30 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  AI and its implications both societally and philosophically.

I read a pretty fantastic 2-part article a few months ago about AI. I was never innately curious about it, but it certainly has some fascinating implications.

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial...ion-1.html
The article even got a retweet from Elon Musk, and now the author is working on an extended set of tangentially related topics after interviewing Musk, I haven't read them all yet though. Love that "blog"... and I'm pretty sure he's an atheist.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
11-06-2015, 06:00 PM
Moneyz

[Image: oscar.png]
11-06-2015, 09:03 PM
(11-06-2015 05:36 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(11-06-2015 05:29 PM)Dom Wrote:  Where were you 7 years ago when I spent a month putting together furniture and stuff and cursing, cursing, cursing? The worst was that grill - great grill but it came in a hundred pieces.

I am weird...I like to get out all the pieces and the instructions. Study them and visualize where I am going and seeing the progress along the way.

A few years ago there was something at home that needed to be fixed. Husband worked nights and he said he would do it the next morning. I couldn't stand it and went ahead and figured out how to do the repair myself. I left him a note letting him know. I woke up to a note that began with great big letters....DEAR MISS FIX-IT... I realized that I had to let him do some of those things so that he would feel needed. Big Grin

You could start a service business and I bet you would make money at it. Just assembling shit that makes people tear their hair out . I would have gladly paid, actually, some of it I did pay someone to do it.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
11-06-2015, 09:16 PM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2015 09:21 PM by Bucky Ball.)
I would like to know what Dark Matter and Dark Energy is all about and when they will find data that is considered evidence for universes bumping into each other, and evidence for other dimensions, maybe other levels of "stuff" like in String Theory.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
11-06-2015, 09:47 PM
(11-06-2015 11:02 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  But for someone to be compelled to kill others, most without remorse, is a psychologically fascinating aspect of humanity.
I'm fascinated by the mind of "a theist".

Us humans are sufficiently intelligent to recognise that claims can be false or true. Sufficiently intelligent to recognise that to assess if a claim is false or true then we need credible evidence.

I just find it immensely fascinating that so many people believe in miracles, supernatural magical creatures, afterlife, all without a shred of credible evidence.

How can a person rationalise to themselves that they can choose to have conviction in an unsupported exceptional belief?

It's really fascinating from psychological point of view.
It makes you think that if you point out the obvious to them, point out that their claim is exceptional and unsupported then they will go "Oh yeah, I didn't think about that, Hmmm, it was a silly belief, don't know why I believed that"
But man, no matter how hard you point out the obvious it has no impact on them. They are like "Yeah, I hear what you are saying, but I choose to believe anyways."
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
12-06-2015, 12:01 AM
I'm interested in biology. I never studied it properly at school or uni, it'd be great to know more about it.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
12-06-2015, 04:38 AM
(11-06-2015 09:03 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(11-06-2015 05:36 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I am weird...I like to get out all the pieces and the instructions. Study them and visualize where I am going and seeing the progress along the way.

You could start a service business and I bet you would make money at it. Just assembling shit that makes people tear their hair out . I would have gladly paid, actually, some of it I did pay someone to do it.

You can. I know a guy named Ronnie who assembles things for stores. He makes quite a bit.
12-06-2015, 05:48 AM
migration in animals.

how do they decide what day to leave? for a month they are grazing in the same area than one day - boom- time to go and the whole crowd hits the road.

how do they find their way back and forth? does each species do it differently? do birds and whales use the same skill? what about elephants?

why does a little teeny tiny hummingbird fly so damn far?

what if something in their path changes? Once you go all that way, why would you go back?

I move, but I usually don't have a desire to go back.

don't they get tired? I mean seriously, woukdnt you get pissy if your group finally gets somewhere and then decides you know what,mlets go back where we were.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller