Curious

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2017, 08:05 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2017 08:43 PM by kveer2:20.)
Curious
Hello! I am in school and in one of my classes we’ve been talking about how no one ever has simple conversations about how different people see the world differently; no arguments, no agendas, just curious conversation. It seems that especially religious people are often quick to misunderstand and jump to conclusions about what other people think of spiritual things. All that to say, I'm just curious to hear from other people what you believe about certain topics rather than reading about your supposed views in books. Would anyone mind answering these few questions for me? Smile

What is the ultimate purpose for life?
How do we make moral judgments?
What happens when we die?
What do you believe about God?
What do you believe about Jesus?
What is the number one reason why you don’t believe in the God of Christianity?

Thank you!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like kveer2:20's post
10-04-2017, 08:39 PM
RE: Curious
(10-04-2017 08:05 PM)kveer2:20 Wrote:  Hello! I am in school and in my one my classes we’ve been talking about how no one ever has simple conversations about how different people see the world differently; no arguments, no agendas, just curious conversation. It seems that especially religious people are often quick to misunderstand and jump to conclusions about what other people think of spiritual things. All that to say, I'm just curious to hear from other people what you believe about certain topics rather than reading about your supposed views in books. Would anyone mind answering these few questions for me? Smile

Thank you!

Bolding mine.

I think the reason you're not hearing simple conversations is because these aren't simple subjects.
You're talking about beliefs that have been held for a lifetime in some cases.
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
10-04-2017, 08:50 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2017 10:30 PM by DLJ.)
Quote:Bolding mine.

I think the reason you're not hearing simple conversations is because these aren't simple subjects.

That is understandable. I guess I was meaning "simple" more in terms of the approach we take. People's beliefs are rarely simple, but I am more getting at the chance to ask questions of people with differing beliefs without arguments or agendas. I just to hear what people think.
[+] 1 user Likes kveer2:20's post
10-04-2017, 08:55 PM
"What is the ultimate purpose for life?"
You either decide your own purpose, or you let another human being decide it for you.

"How do we make moral judgments?"
Mostly subconscious risk/reward calculations.

"What happens when we die?"
Your neurons cease to fire, and your body begins the surprisingly quick and 100% painless process of decomposition.

"What do you believe about God?"
N/A. I'm not the one making claims about the existence of such a thing. Please provide a definition for "God."

"What do you believe about Jesus?"
that the stories about him were passed down by oral tradition and written down decades after his alleged death.

"What is the number one reason why you don’t believe in the God of Christianity?"
Unverifiable claims do not warrant belief. The hubris of most Christians to attribute such a vast array of unverifiable characteristics and motives to their deity speaks for itself, really.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 7 users Like cactus's post
10-04-2017, 08:56 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2017 10:34 PM by DLJ.)
(10-04-2017 08:50 PM)kveer2:20 Wrote:  
Quote:Bolding mine.

That is understandable. I guess I was meaning "simple" more in terms of the approach we take. People's beliefs are rarely simple, but I am more getting at the chance to ask questions of people with differing beliefs without arguments or agendas. I just to hear what people think.

We often have these types of discussions here, but maybe it would be a little easier to do one question at a time rather than a whole list.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
10-04-2017, 08:57 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2017 09:07 PM by kveer2:20.)
(10-04-2017 08:55 PM)cactus Wrote:  "What is the ultimate purpose for life?"
You either decide your own purpose, or you let another human being decide it for you.

"How do we make moral judgments?"
Mostly subconscious risk/reward calculations.

"What happens when we die?"
Your neurons cease to fire, and your body begins the surprisingly quick and 100% painless process of decomposition.

"What do you believe about God?"
N/A. I'm not the one making claims about the existence of such a thing. Please provide a definition for "God."

"What do you believe about Jesus?"
that the stories about him were passed down by oral tradition and written down decades after his alleged death.

"What is the number one reason why you don’t believe in the God of Christianity?"
Unverifiable claims do not warrant belief. The hubris of most Christians to attribute such a vast array of unverifiable characteristics and motives to their deity speaks for itself, really.

Thank you for your answers! Its cool to hear your thoughts!
10-04-2017, 08:57 PM
(10-04-2017 08:05 PM)kveer2:20 Wrote:  What is the ultimate purpose for life?

Thank you!

Everyone seems to have their own idea regarding life's purpose or even if there is one.

When we die we die. Life is over and we return to a most basic physical state.

Moral judgements often come from our culture and our families and I think some is innate.

Most here don't believe in a god or gods nor do they believe in Jesus.

As for why non-belief - lack of proof.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
10-04-2017, 08:59 PM
(10-04-2017 08:57 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 08:05 PM)kveer2:20 Wrote:  What is the ultimate purpose for life?

Thank you!

Everyone seems to have their own idea regarding life's purpose or even if there is one.

When we die we die. Life is over and we return to a most basic physical state.

Moral judgements often come from our culture and our families and I think some is innate.

Most here don't believe in a god or gods nor do they believe in Jesus.

As for why non-belief - lack of proof.

Thanks Anjele!
10-04-2017, 08:59 PM
(10-04-2017 08:05 PM)kveer2:20 Wrote:  Hello! I am in school and in one of my classes we’ve been talking about how no one ever has simple conversations about how different people see the world differently; no arguments, no agendas, just curious conversation. It seems that especially religious people are often quick to misunderstand and jump to conclusions about what other people think of spiritual things. All that to say, I'm just curious to hear from other people what you believe about certain topics rather than reading about your supposed views in books. Would anyone mind answering these few questions for me? Smile

Thank you!

Sigh.

Purpose of life is to live.

Morality is determined by the society and is subjective to their base tenets of what they hold important

We die, we cease to exist, except in the memories of those who knew us or of us.

The rest, I'm an atheist. I don't believe in Zeus, Buddha, allah, Vishnu, Jesus (unless you're talking about the guy who cuts my lawn, who does an awesome job) or hundreds of other gods that man has invented.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 7 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
10-04-2017, 09:00 PM
(10-04-2017 08:59 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 08:05 PM)kveer2:20 Wrote:  Hello! I am in school and in one of my classes we’ve been talking about how no one ever has simple conversations about how different people see the world differently; no arguments, no agendas, just curious conversation. It seems that especially religious people are often quick to misunderstand and jump to conclusions about what other people think of spiritual things. All that to say, I'm just curious to hear from other people what you believe about certain topics rather than reading about your supposed views in books. Would anyone mind answering these few questions for me? Smile

Thank you!

Sigh.

Purpose of life is to live.

Morality is determined by the society and is subjective to their base tenets of what they hold important

We die, we cease to exist, except in the memories of those who knew us or of us.

The rest, I'm an atheist. I don't believe in Zeus, Buddha, allah, Vishnu, Jesus (unless you're talking about the guy who cuts my lawn, who does an awesome job) or hundreds of other gods that man has invented.

Thanks for your responses!