Curious

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2017, 09:07 PM
RE: Curious
Quote:What is the ultimate purpose for life?

The purpose for life is to live well.

Quote:How do we make moral judgments?

Like everyone .. based on ethical principles.

Quote:What happens when we die?

You're dead. Period.

Quote:What do you believe about God?

Nothing. The concept is incoherent and meaningless.

Quote:What do you believe about Jesus?

Not much. If he existed, he stupidly got himself executed by the Roman occupiers of Jerusalem for disturbing the peace.

Quote:What is the number one reason why you don’t believe in the God of Christianity?

Because the idea evolved from the god of Judaism, which evolved from one of the gods of Babylon.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Bucky Ball's post
10-04-2017, 09:19 PM
(10-04-2017 08:05 PM)kveer2:20 Wrote:  What is the ultimate purpose for life?

It is up to each person to find and fulfill their purpose. No person or entity has the authority to dictate such a purpose for someone else.

(10-04-2017 08:05 PM)kveer2:20 Wrote:  How do we make moral judgments?

Usually poorly.

However if you start from a couple of basic tenets, you can go pretty far.

All people are equal and deserve the same rights.
Treat others as you wish to be treated.

(10-04-2017 08:05 PM)kveer2:20 Wrote:  What happens when we die?

You rot. Decompose. Worm food. Crow bait. Fertilizer. The circle of life...

(10-04-2017 08:05 PM)kveer2:20 Wrote:  What do you believe about God?

As an atheist I do not believe in any god.

(10-04-2017 08:05 PM)kveer2:20 Wrote:  What do you believe about Jesus?

According to our current archeological and historical understanding, there was probably a person named jesus who was executed by the Romans. I see no reason to believe in any of the stories that have grown up about him.

(10-04-2017 08:05 PM)kveer2:20 Wrote:  What is the number one reason why you don’t believe in the God of Christianity?

No evidence.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 4 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
10-04-2017, 09:25 PM
(10-04-2017 08:05 PM)kveer2:20 Wrote:  Hello! I am in school and in one of my classes we’ve been talking about how no one ever has simple conversations about how different people see the world differently; no arguments, no agendas, just curious conversation. It seems that especially religious people are often quick to misunderstand and jump to conclusions about what other people think of spiritual things. All that to say, I'm just curious to hear from other people what you believe about certain topics rather than reading about your supposed views in books. Would anyone mind answering these few questions for me? Smile

What is the ultimate purpose for life?

That's your call just as it is mine.

Don't know but moral behavior is a standard dimension of the human specie's repertoire.

The world goes on. We don't.

I think god belief too is an important dimension of the human specie's repertoire. It is an important question but supernatural answers are off the table as far as I'm concerned.

Possibly an historical person, possibly a legend. I don't really care, personally.

(10-04-2017 08:05 PM)kveer2:20 Wrote:  What is the number one reason why you don’t believe in the God of Christianity?

I believe that god, like all the others, exists in the psyches of those who have been conditioned to believe in it.

A question for you: would you care if your God turned out to be a product of your psyche. I mean, your psyche produces what you call your personality. Why shouldn't it be able to also produce what you call God?

(10-04-2017 08:05 PM)kveer2:20 Wrote:  Thank you!

Your very welcome. I'd appreciate your answer to my question as well.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 7 users Like whateverist's post
10-04-2017, 09:49 PM (This post was last modified: 13-04-2017 07:04 PM by Gwaithmir.)
What is the ultimate purpose in life?
Life has no inherent purpose. It is for individuals to decide for themselves what life is all about. In my case, it's to live my life happily according to Humanist principles. I am a philanthropist and humanitarian. My happiness comes from contemplating the happiness of others:

“I expect to pass this way but once; any good that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

"The world is my country, humanity are my brethren, and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)

How do we make moral judgments?
Our moral judgments are made according to life's experiences and whatever codes we have learned while being educated. Naturally, our views in these matters can change as we get older and acquire more experience and knowledge.

What happens when we die?
Our brains stop functioning and we cease to exist.

What do you believe about God.
I am an atheist. I have no beliefs in or about God.

What do you believe about Jesus?
He may have been an itinerant preacher and revolutionary who acquired a following among the poor and illiterate. He may have tried to start a new religion out of Judaism but lacked the authority. When he began to identify himself, or when others identified him as a messiah figure, he was executed as a subversive. Stories about him were conflated a few decades after his death. The Biblical Jesus is largely a fictitious character.

What is the number one reason you don't believe in the God of Christianity?
God's characteristics, as defined by mainstream Christianity, are self contradictory. God does not exist on the grounds of self-contradiction.
[+] 6 users Like Gwaithmir's post
10-04-2017, 11:15 PM
(10-04-2017 08:05 PM)kveer2:20 Wrote:  ...
What do you believe about God?
What is the number one reason why you don’t believe in the God of Christianity?

Thank you!

The PURPOSE of life … to pass on our DNA … from Darwin.
The MEANING of life … the experience of living … from Frank Herbert
The VALUE of life … the legacy we leave behind … from observation
FITNESS … agility and equilibrium … the dance of the MIND and of the FLESH

There is a difference between a moral sense and a moral judgement. The former is emotional and the latter is rational.

We have an evolved (chemically-derived (nature / innate capability)), dialectically influenced (nurture), cognitive baseline of principles, beliefs and values ... this we call the individual's steady-state, “is” morality.

[Image: 29gfpd5.jpg]
[Image: 2ns72xh.jpg]

As a cell with a broken outer-membrane spills its guts into the environment to become the environment, we too decompose as our identity-membrane expires.

I becomes all.

It's a meme.

An impressive example of a cross-generational combination of the Misinformation Effect, Confirmation Bias and hypocritical Compartmentalism.

An older example being Traditional Chinese Medicine and a newer example being the US's cold-war bogey-manning of Russia.

I went to church and I read the bible before I was 10 years old while also reading about Norse, Greek and Roman mythology.

Thumbsup

[+] 11 users Like DLJ's post
11-04-2017, 04:29 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2017 05:46 AM by Thoreauvian.)
"What is the ultimate purpose for life?"

There is no "ultimate" purpose, but there are plenty of relative purposes -- which are more than sufficient.

"How do we make moral judgments?"

By being honest.

"What happens when we die?"

Consciousness is an emergent property of a very complex arrangement of matter. When that arrangement breaks down, consciousness disappears.

"What do you believe about God?"

At best it was a placeholder concept until people found out what the truth was from science.

"What do you believe about Jesus?"

He was an apocalypticist whose teachings were misunderstood, and his life was made into a legend through later elaborations.

"What is the number one reason why you don’t believe in the God of Christianity?"

Christianity teaches that God came to Earth as Jesus to be a human sacrifice to himself to prevent himself from throwing us all into Hell, which we deserve because of original sin -- in other words, because of the sins of our mythical ancestors (which were really God's own mistakes). It simply makes no sense.
[+] 8 users Like Thoreauvian's post
11-04-2017, 04:38 AM
(10-04-2017 08:05 PM)kveer2:20 Wrote:  Hello! I am in school and in one of my classes we’ve been talking about how no one ever has simple conversations about how different people see the world differently; no arguments, no agendas, just curious conversation. It seems that especially religious people are often quick to misunderstand and jump to conclusions about what other people think of spiritual things. All that to say, I'm just curious to hear from other people what you believe about certain topics rather than reading about your supposed views in books. Would anyone mind answering these few questions for me? Smile

Purpose is a subjective concept, so I don't find this to be a well-formed question.

Quote:How do we make moral judgments?

I think it's rooted in our emotions, often involving empathy. We decide what we feel is acceptable, and what isn't.

Quote:What happens when we die?

We are dead. Our constituent parts get recycled.

Quote:What do you believe about God?

You'd have to define what you mean by this word. I find it meaningless. If you just mean an intelligent creator, I have no idea if there is one or not.

Quote:What do you believe about Jesus?

It's a mostly fictional character, with probably parts of a mix of historical characters thrown in.

Quote:What is the number one reason why you don’t believe in the God of Christianity?

No evidence.

Quote:Thank you!

You're welcome! Smile

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Robvalue's post
11-04-2017, 05:56 AM

This commits a logical fallacy known as begging the question by implying there is some ultimate purpose for life. However the randomness that allowed for abiogenesis
and evolution is evidence of no such purpose. For if such a thing did exist then the probability of life could logically not be less than 1 in order to guarantee its absolute
certainty. But that is not actually true. The best that one can do therefore is to give purpose to ones own life. But that is subjective rather than objective [ or ultimate ]

Moral judgements are made in accordance with ones own individual moral philosophy. And can either be
subjective or intersubjective but they can never be objective. Because objective morality is an oxymoron

All evidence indicates permanent brain death. Now one would need infinite time to actually test any potentially
falsifiable hypothesis. Though there has so far been precisely zero evidence to suggest any thing else happens

I do not do belief of any kind. But when you say God which one and what type are you specifically referring to? Christian? Jewish? Islamic? Hindu? Theistic? Monotheistic?
Deistic? Polytheistic? Pantheistic? You should be precise as possible when defining your particular deity of choice because these definitions are not all mutually compatible

Again I do not do belief. But think it possible that a Jew called Jesus Christ could have existed in Roman occupied Palestine sometime between 1900 - 2000 years ago
And equally possible that he was responsible for the tiny cult of Christianity that has since morphed in to the worlds largest religion that it is today. But do not for one
nano second think he was the Son of God who performed all of the miracles credited to him in the Gospels. Just an ordinary mortal same as every other human being

What is the number one reason why you do not believe in the God of Christianity?

Again belief. But the reason why I do not think your God or any other metaphysical being for that matter does not exist is because of lack of evidence
Evidence as a fundamental component of the scientific method. Not the so called evidence of personal belief or arguments from popularity or emotion
Dictionaries might not be prescriptive nor language rigid but that does not mean one can apply whatever meaning they wish to any word they choose

A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
[+] 8 users Like surreptitious57's post
11-04-2017, 06:15 AM
(10-04-2017 08:05 PM)kveer2:20 Wrote:  What is the ultimate purpose for life?
[Image: bfLl8iY.jpg]
[Image: A3g6ejz.jpg]
[Image: q045yjJ.jpg]
[Image: bfLl8iY.jpg]
[Image: kiQvm0a.jpg]
[Image: wNPxTS1.jpg]
(10-04-2017 08:05 PM)kveer2:20 Wrote:  Thank you!
You're welcome! Come again!

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like houseofcantor's post
11-04-2017, 06:40 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2017 06:44 AM by Dom.)
Your personal life or life on earth? Your personal life's purpose is whatever you give it. Life on earth - it's a coincidence. It's a random thing that appeared and likely will disappear eventually.

Innately, we have empathy and the drive for preservation of the species.
Acquired morality comes from the culture around us.

Our bodies get recycled like everything else on earth.

Nothing.

A story told and re-told ... did you ever play the game of pass it on? Some ten people take part. One whispers a story to the next person who then passes it on. After it's been passed on 10 times - it's not the same story. This happened with the Jesus story, but over a much, much longer time period, involving many more story tellers.

What is the number one reason you don't believe in Zeus?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post