Curious

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2017, 07:06 AM
RE: Curious
That seems to be one of the hardest pill for people to swallow - that there is no purpose - but nihilism's stupid too, so there it is. Gasp

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
11-04-2017, 07:31 AM
(10-04-2017 08:05 PM)kveer2:20 Wrote:  Hello! I am in school and in one of my classes we’ve been talking about how no one ever has simple conversations about how different people see the world differently; no arguments, no agendas, just curious conversation. It seems that especially religious people are often quick to misunderstand and jump to conclusions about what other people think of spiritual things. All that to say, I'm just curious to hear from other people what you believe about certain topics rather than reading about your supposed views in books. Would anyone mind answering these few questions for me? Smile

What is the ultimate purpose for life?
How do we make moral judgments?
What happens when we die?
What do you believe about God?
What do you believe about Jesus?
What is the number one reason why you don’t believe in the God of Christianity?

Thank you!

1. to live

2. morals have more or less been tempered within us via millions of years of evolution.

A social community that utilizes morals/rules in order to maintain peace amongst themselves tend to survive better than those that don't. Throw in a million years, and you'll have more or less weeded out the communities that don't adhere to survival-promoting rules. Hence you're left with those that do.

If that makes sense. I'm bad at explaining.

3. Most likely, oblivion. "We" are out brains. When the brain dies, "we" die.

4. As an agnostic atheist, I can confidently say that all gods made and worshipped by humans do not exist. If there does exist a higher power, I am currently unconscious to its existence. Most likely there's no such thing.

5. Most likely an overly-exaggerated apocalyptic priest that claimed, like many others at the time, to be the messiah. And, like the many others, failed to fulfill what the messiah was prophesied to fulfill.

6. Lack of evidence.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Loom's post
11-04-2017, 07:57 AM
Welcome. Apparently you have named yourself after the mystic island of K'veer? You must be a gamer.

To make little K’veers.

We analyze our surroundings and make best guess estimates to protect our little K’veers so they too can make little K’veers.

We cease to make and be able to protect our little K’veers.

Which one (see hyperlink below for a list of some 4000 gods) are you referring to? Wink
But regardless of which one you pick my answer will be the same; I believe each and every one of them comes form man’s imagination and the need to explain the unknown.

Possibly a historical figure, possibly a conglomerate of historical figures. Whichever the case the supernatural actions attributed to this figure are baseless just as are all other supernatural abilities and actions attributed to all other gods.

Not just the Xtian god but for any of the 4,000 gods that have been worshipped by man at one time or another...lack of verifiable evidence.

Two questions for you K'veer:
What do you believe about Baron-Samedi?

What is the number one reason why you don't believe in the God of Voodou?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
11-04-2017, 07:59 AM
I have a return question:

Why should I care about any God, further to scientific curiosity? I've yet to be given a satisfactory answer to this.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
11-04-2017, 08:04 AM
There is no ultimate purpose. That's a good thing. If there were then your life would not be your own.

By considering the consequence of actions against a desired goal. It's picking the goal that is the tricky part.

Our bodies decompose. Our personal existence ends.

That the concept is infantile and unsupported by evidence.

That he is a fictional character that may be based in part on one or more historical people.

There's no actual evidence to support the idea that it exists.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 7 users Like unfogged's post
11-04-2017, 11:41 AM
Biologically, I'm fascinated by the argument that the seemingly anti-entropic formation of life (an increase in order) actually developed successfully because living organisms are a much more efficient entropic force (breaking down nutrients, &c.)
Psychologically, we are trying to fill a vacuum until we can begin to come to terms with the fact that there is no inherent purpose or meaning to our lives, and we get to decide if that motivates us to stop living or to find our own reasons for living. Mine are 1. my family needs me and 2. in spite of the depression, anxiety, grief, trauma, &c. that I live with every day, there are some good times (see point 1) and either way, I'm going to be dead someday and the pain and happiness will be over, so I'm willing to accept a lot of pain to get a few more good times.

For me, DLJ has already given the best response, so I'm just going to refer back to that.

Biologically, decomposition. Socially, more grief than you want to cause and not as much grief as you wished you'd cause. Spiritually, probably nothing. But plenty of people (myself included) choose to lean on ideas from time to time that help us face the inevitability of death. Just remember that it's something that makes you feel better to imagine, so you aren't able to be unbiased about it. Also, remember that you're using it to contextualize something that can legitimately be difficult for your psyche to make sense of, so every belief or fantasy can only be a clumsy human-cognition attempt to do so. There's no reason to think that, if there were a spiritual universe, we could have any hope of mentally capturing its essence.

Not much. I'm not great at belief. I have some things I think about (the Christian) God but they can really only have meaning to me unless we're having a much more specific conversation.

The story of Jesus is about rejecting authoritarian power in favor of small, mutually beneficial communities. You don't get that much in most churches, though. And that's not much of a belief, it's more of an analysis.

What is the number one reason why you [kind of do] believe in the God of Christianity?
Well, like I said, I don't really believe much; I'm not very good at it. I have a particularly analytical mind, and that means both logical and illogical analysis. It's what makes me a good scientist--the illogical part is what comes up with new ideas and the logical part is what tests them--and it also makes me predisposed to phenomena like pareidolia, deja vu, and just generally a chemically-driven sense of mysticism. I think that it is a mistake to simply deny the illogical part of the brain, because that's a major component of the human animal, and denying it mostly makes us post-justify its effects. So sometimes I let myself think that maybe I'll see my dad again, but that soothes me in the moment and mostly, otherwise, just can't ring true. I lean on the Christian ideas because it's the religious system I was raised with most closely, so it's like a native language. Sometimes I borrow ideas from other religions, as well, or honestly, fantasy books and movies. It's more of a flight of fancy than a belief system. But I'd make a hell of a living as a psychic if I didn't have scruples.
[+] 6 users Like kmc's post
13-04-2017, 06:31 PM (This post was last modified: 13-04-2017 06:34 PM by viocjit.)
I don't think there are ultimate purpose for life.
Life wasn't created by anyone or many entities.
Life isn't a creation.
Life does exist for reasons that aren't entirely known.
Look into science and you will understand life is there because
many events happens.
Example : Plants did never existed if sun wasn't there because of photosynthesis.
We did never existed if earth kept its original temperature.
Without water we wouldn't be there because first lives did appeared in water.

This is based on many things like culture of our country or / and tribe or clan etc... , religious or philosophical beliefs , characters of each of us , social class etc...

I don't think there are any afterlife.

I don't think there are any god , goddess or any other kind of supreme being.

If he did really existed. Historical Jesus was maybe a manipulator or / and delusional man for any reason(s).
Maybe was he schizophrenic or he had any other mental issue.

I read the whole bible and I know it contain many false facts.
Read this : http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/
13-04-2017, 06:58 PM (This post was last modified: 13-04-2017 07:19 PM by Aliza.)
Pleasure

By living in an organized society with laws and a system of justice.

My religion, Judaism, has only a very loose understanding of what happens wen we die because Judaism is a religion about life, not death. According to what I do understand about my religion, we all eventually end up in the world of souls. Some paths may be rockier than others, but we all end up in the same place. Judaism is not an exclusionary religion, so everyone is judged according to their actions, not the things they thought in their heads.

I believe that G-d is ultimately rooting for each of us to be successful and happy, but that we have the free-will to choose for ourselves if we'll live to our fullest potential.

Jesus was a traitor to his people and he’s regarded in Judaism as having been a bigger villain than Hitler. Jesus is the reason for so much horrific persecution against non-Christians. May his name be blotted out in the book of life. *spits*

As a Jew, I have a preexisting religious foundation that Christianity contradicts.

Edit: Oh, Shai just pointed out that this is the "ask the atheist" section, not the "ask the theists who just like hanging around atheist forums" section. Oh well. Tongue
[+] 9 users Like Aliza's post
13-04-2017, 07:29 PM
(13-04-2017 06:58 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Jesus was a traitor to his people and he’s regarded in Judaism as having been a bigger villain than Hitler. May his name be blotted out in the book of life. *spits*

[Image: 05_-_njtgg7p.gif]

This made me laugh way way more than it probably should have...

(I mean, not the persecution bit, obviously Rolleyes )

Quote:What is the ultimate purpose for life?
Pleasure

Unless you're a masochist. Then it's pain Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
13-04-2017, 07:38 PM
(10-04-2017 08:05 PM)kveer2:20 Wrote:  What is the ultimate purpose for life?

Same as its fate, extinction. To be, then not to be.

(10-04-2017 08:05 PM)kveer2:20 Wrote:  How do we make moral judgments?

Same way I fly, by the seat of my pants and drunk.

(10-04-2017 08:05 PM)kveer2:20 Wrote:  What happens when we die?

One of the first orders of business is vacating the bowels and bladder.

(10-04-2017 08:05 PM)kveer2:20 Wrote:  What do you believe about God?

He's a fat jolly fellow.

(10-04-2017 08:05 PM)kveer2:20 Wrote:  What do you believe about Jesus?

He's a fat jolly fellow.

(10-04-2017 08:05 PM)kveer2:20 Wrote:  What is the number one reason why you don’t believe in the God of Christianity?

I do.

(10-04-2017 08:05 PM)kveer2:20 Wrote:  Thank you!

You are welcome. Come back and play some more some time.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post