There's no one size fits all "ultimate purpose."

How do we make moral judgments?
By learning, and by having empathy.

What happens when we die?
I don't know.

What do you believe about God?
He's inconsistent af.

What do you believe about Jesus?
As Dom put it, a story that's been retold so many times that it's no longer accurate - assuming the initial story, whatever it was, even happened. For all we know, "Jesus" could have been multiple people. I don't think "he" was the "son of God", and I don't think he willingly got himself crucified.

What is the number one reason why you don’t believe in the God of Christianity?
No evidence and too many inconsistencies in the source material.

Also, I played this game when I was ten:

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Sloane's post
13-04-2017, 09:36 PM
RE: Curious
(13-04-2017 07:29 PM)Vera Wrote:  
Quote:What is the ultimate purpose for life?
Pleasure

Unless you're a masochist. Then it's pain Drinking Beverage

But pain that you get off on is a kind of pleasure too I suppose. Fricking categories are so inconvenient sometimes.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 2 users Like whateverist's post
14-04-2017, 10:02 PM
(10-04-2017 08:05 PM)kveer2:20 Wrote:  What is the ultimate purpose for life?

Thank you!

What is the ultimate purpose for life?
Wrong question IMO. There is no purpose OF life but there can be purpose IN life. What that purpose is is largely up to the individual but others can help you define it. I also think that this changes as one gets older.

Start with well-being. The effort to maximize happiness and minimize pain for all. This may mean screwing some people over for an ultimate net positive. This not only applies to the individual but to society as a whole.

No idea. I guarantee you that anyone who claims they do is lying and deep down they know that. There are those who admit they don't know and there are those who pretend they do. It's that simple.

Since you failed to define what "God" is I'll assume you mean the christian god but even then that is totally a useless definition since there are so many different types of "God" in christianity. Either way, I don't see any reason to think that the christian god in any form is real.

At best there was a charismatic or insane rabbi in the first century who was hugely exaggerated into the mythical thing he is today. At worst, a mythical being who was the subject of numerous fan fiction (aka gospels, not just the canonical ones) who was hugely exaggerated into the mythical thing he is today.

That is impossible to say just one. It was instead a long and painful process that I was somewhat against my will. I just cared whether it was true more than I wanted to believe. When that happens, the house of cards comes tumbling down.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
14-04-2017, 10:08 PM
(13-04-2017 06:58 PM)Aliza Wrote:  What is the ultimate purpose for life?
Pleasure

By living in an organized society with laws and a system of justice.

My religion, Judaism, has only a very loose understanding of what happens wen we die because Judaism is a religion about life, not death. According to what I do understand about my religion, we all eventually end up in the world of souls. Some paths may be rockier than others, but we all end up in the same place. Judaism is not an exclusionary religion, so everyone is judged according to their actions, not the things they thought in their heads.

I believe that G-d is ultimately rooting for each of us to be successful and happy, but that we have the free-will to choose for ourselves if we'll live to our fullest potential.

Jesus was a traitor to his people and he’s regarded in Judaism as having been a bigger villain than Hitler. Jesus is the reason for so much horrific persecution against non-Christians. May his name be blotted out in the book of life. *spits*

As a Jew, I have a preexisting religious foundation that Christianity contradicts.

Edit: Oh, Shai just pointed out that this is the "ask the atheist" section, not the "ask the theists who just like hanging around atheist forums" section. Oh well. Tongue

You rock.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
14-04-2017, 11:12 PM
(10-04-2017 08:05 PM)kveer2:20 Wrote:  What is the ultimate purpose for life?

No "ultimate purpose" at all. Purpose is a purely subjective thing, and only the individual can decide what his or purpose is.

Quote:How do we make moral judgments?

By thoughtfully weighing the pros and cons of any action, taking into account how that action might affect others.

Quote:What happens when we die?

We remain dead and our bodies eventually return to the ecosystem.

Quote:What do you believe about God?

Fictional being.

Quote:What do you believe about Jesus?

Either a fictional being, or a real person whose story was embellished by the early Christians. If he ever existed as a real person, he died and stayed dead.

Quote:What is the number one reason why you don’t believe in the God of Christianity?

Definitely scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as gods go. The god described in the Bible is dumb as a bag of hammers, and a right bastard, to boot. Not worthy of serious consideration.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Astreja's post
14-04-2017, 11:13 PM
(10-04-2017 08:05 PM)kveer2:20 Wrote:  Hello! I am in school and in one of my classes we’ve been talking about how no one ever has simple conversations about how different people see the world differently; no arguments, no agendas, just curious conversation. It seems that especially religious people are often quick to misunderstand and jump to conclusions about what other people think of spiritual things. All that to say, I'm just curious to hear from other people what you believe about certain topics rather than reading about your supposed views in books. Would anyone mind answering these few questions for me? Smile

What is the ultimate purpose for life?

Thank you!

Nothing... I'm a nihilist. I do have purpose in my personal life, for highly subjective and personal reasons.

Empathy, History, Social Awareness, Rational thought, Compassion. And plenty of studies suggest that's mostly how you do it too (except for a few exceptions based on cherry picked BS from the bible, if you are a christian).

Prolly the same thing that happened before you were born. Duh.

Myth--- wait Odin? Cthulhu? Krishna? Yaweh?

Myth-- OH jesus.... of course some flavor of chrsitian, after all this is America huh....

The bible, followed by historical record, followed by pretty much EVERYTHING factual about the world that we know, followed by NO evidence of anything supernatural, plus rational thought. The abuses caused by religion is why I"m compelled to be vocal about it.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
14-04-2017, 11:17 PM
(13-04-2017 09:36 PM)whateverist Wrote:  
(13-04-2017 07:29 PM)Vera Wrote:  Unless you're a masochist. Then it's pain Drinking Beverage

But pain that you get off on is a kind of pleasure too I suppose. Fricking categories are so inconvenient sometimes.

Why compromise, get into BDSM and have both pain and pleasure Wink hehe

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
14-04-2017, 11:21 PM
"What is the purpose of life
Pleasure <------------(Says all the people who REALLY love sex.... that's ok so do I lol)

Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
15-04-2017, 05:29 AM
(13-04-2017 07:29 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(13-04-2017 06:58 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Jesus was a traitor to his people and he’s regarded in Judaism as having been a bigger villain than Hitler. May his name be blotted out in the book of life. *spits*

[Image: 05_-_njtgg7p.gif]

This made me laugh way way more than it probably should have...

(I mean, not the persecution bit, obviously Rolleyes )

Quote:What is the ultimate purpose for life?
Pleasure

> My last girlfriend sometimes liked being spanked with a special wooden paddle before sex. It was somewhat of a turn-off for me, because I was physically abused by my father and teachers during my youth. But I never discussed it with her because I didn't want to risk doing anything that would tend to make her less horny. Unsure
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
15-04-2017, 11:34 PM
(15-04-2017 05:29 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(13-04-2017 07:29 PM)Vera Wrote:  [Image: 05_-_njtgg7p.gif]

This made me laugh way way more than it probably should have...

(I mean, not the persecution bit, obviously Rolleyes )

> My last girlfriend sometimes liked being spanked with a special wooden paddle before sex. It was somewhat of a turn-off for me, because I was physically abused by my father and teachers during my youth. But I never discussed it with her because I didn't want to risk doing anything that would tend to make her less horny. Unsure

Meh I refuse to have sex if a woman has been drinking even a single drink, cause my drunk ex wife used to come home after fucking other guys, not having enough and rape me, while telling me about cheating on me... She never remembered the next day, or maybe she did who the fuck knows, I never said anything about it either way. OH and she loved to quote the bible when she did it... good times lol. I kinda get where you're coming from

Big Grin