Cursing, Swearing, Cussing, and Why I Just Don't Care

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2017, 08:32 PM
Cursing, Swearing, Cussing, and Why I Just Don't Care
Cursing tends to be a topic I hear a lot about. Many say it's good for you, others give reasons why it's bad. Reason I bring it up is my greenhouse boss, who I cursed in front of due to having a cut on my hand that hurt, simply laughed and said 'You better now make a habit of it, you've been cursing alot.'

This got me thinking on two things, one: Why does cursing have such a negative affect?
Two: Who really gives a shit?

If one chooses the curse it's not because of simple, trivial means that I hear said 'They don't have a wide vocabulary' and this possible comes from the person who fell asleep in English class. No, I'm certain said person knows a lot of things to say other than a curse word, but, like most people, they are lazy and it's easier to say 'shit' than to sound stupid and say 'poop'.

As for why cussing has such a negative thing, I'm still debating that. Words are words, anyone can my them sound derogatory. There are so many things now we 'can't say' in this world. Gay used to be a word that meant 'Happy' now it means something that can be both good and bad. Bitch is no different as it's real term means 'female dog' but it can be used to insult someone who is acting like a bitch.

From American myself, I often feel the need to say 'Freedom of Speech'. If you don't like what I say that's your problem not mine. 'We either have unlimited rights, or not right at all.' said George Carlin once. And I'd have to agree, pretty soon we won't be able to say a lot of things because it 'offends someone'.

I thought on this when she said that, because honestly why should she care how I present myself. If someone doesn't like how I talk it's them, granted when I have to be formal I won't curse out loud in an interview. But around friends, and some family, why care about being formal. Beers are going around and we are laughing.

I say there is a time and place for everything. And there is a difference between one who can control themselves and ones who can't.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2017, 08:55 PM
RE: Cursing, Swearing, Cussing, and Why I Just Don't Care
(28-07-2017 08:32 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  Cursing tends to be a topic I hear a lot about. Many say it's good for you, others give reasons why it's bad. Reason I bring it up is my greenhouse boss, who I cursed in front of due to having a cut on my hand that hurt, simply laughed and said 'You better now make a habit of it, you've been cursing alot.'

This got me thinking on two things, one: Why does cursing have such a negative affect?
Two: Who really gives a shit?

If one chooses the curse it's not because of simple, trivial means that I hear said 'They don't have a wide vocabulary' and this possible comes from the person who fell asleep in English class. No, I'm certain said person knows a lot of things to say other than a curse word, but, like most people, they are lazy and it's easier to say 'shit' than to sound stupid and say 'poop'.

As for why cussing has such a negative thing, I'm still debating that. Words are words, anyone can my them sound derogatory. There are so many things now we 'can't say' in this world. Gay used to be a word that meant 'Happy' now it means something that can be both good and bad. Bitch is no different as it's real term means 'female dog' but it can be used to insult someone who is acting like a bitch.

From American myself, I often feel the need to say 'Freedom of Speech'. If you don't like what I say that's your problem not mine. 'We either have unlimited rights, or not right at all.' said George Carlin once. And I'd have to agree, pretty soon we won't be able to say a lot of things because it 'offends someone'.

I thought on this when she said that, because honestly why should she care how I present myself. If someone doesn't like how I talk it's them, granted when I have to be formal I won't curse out loud in an interview. But around friends, and some family, why care about being formal. Beers are going around and we are laughing.

I say there is a time and place for everything. And there is a difference between one who can control themselves and ones who can't.

I think cursing definitely has it's place and it is most effective when it is used very sparsely. I can't stand people who curse every other word. When it's use is shocking because of it's rarity, it has much more impact. I used to be one who never cursed then one day I said the f-word. People in my family still talk about that day.

Sometimes though it just feels so god damned good to curse. It releases stress and helps get one's frustration out.

If I have to do anything involving mechanic work on a car, that's when the curse words fly and usually the tools and parts of the car. Sometimes throwing something or breaking something feels even better and is like a physical form of cursing.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
28-07-2017, 09:12 PM
In American culture, you need implied or expressed permission to use various words, and talk about certain subjects, totally depending on the situation. If one goes ahead and uses them without (often unspoken) permission, it's a slap in the face, aggression, and disrespectful to others. If you want to be a socially insensitive clueless dolt, go ahead and be clueless and oblivious.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
28-07-2017, 09:15 PM
(28-07-2017 09:12 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  In American culture, you need implied or expressed permission to use various words, and talk about certain subjects, totally depending on the situation. If one goes ahead and uses them without (often unspoken) permission, it's a slap in the face, aggression, and disrespectful to others. If you want to be a socially insensitive clueless dolt, go ahead and be clueless and oblivious.

^This...it's important to know your audience.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
29-07-2017, 05:42 AM
(28-07-2017 09:12 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  In American culture, you need implied or expressed permission to use various words, and talk about certain subjects, totally depending on the situation. If one goes ahead and uses them without (often unspoken) permission, it's a slap in the face, aggression, and disrespectful to others. If you want to be a socially insensitive clueless dolt, go ahead and be clueless and oblivious.

Way back at my first job in the 1970s, I knew an older guy out in the shop who cursed at the people around him all the time, and made everyone miserable. Later he was shot dead by his own son-in-law, and it didn't take much to imagine why.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
29-07-2017, 05:58 AM
I was a sailor for twenty years. During that time I may have cussed once or twice. Or maybe a billion times, who counts.

You can say ANY words with force and passion when you hit your thumb with a hammer, so it comes down to people trying to control other people's use of certain words. Good luck with that if you're trying to control my language.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-07-2017, 05:59 AM
There are four hundred thousand words in the English language, and there are seven you can't say on television. What a ratio that is: 399,993 to 7. They must really be bad; they'd have to be outrageous to be separated from a group that large! "All of you over here, you seven? BAD WORDS." That's what they told us they were, remember? "That's a bad word!" …No bad words; bad thoughts, bad intentions...and words. You know the seven, don't you, that you can't say on television? Shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, and tits. Those are the heavy seven. Those are the ones that will infect your soul, curve your spine, and keep the country from winning the war.

George Carlin

I think tits are cool now.

Of course I thought they were cool before.

I should say the word is now accepted for use on television.

cunt, cocksucker and fuck are still pending.
29-07-2017, 06:02 AM
(28-07-2017 08:32 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  I say there is a time and place for everything. And there is a difference between one who can control themselves and ones who can't.

Thumbsup

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
29-07-2017, 07:36 AM
(29-07-2017 05:59 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  ...cunt, cocksucker and fuck are still pending.

Not on Australian TV. This is just another example of the puritanical nature of American society. And which is why American media still airbrushes female nipples out of existence LOL.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
29-07-2017, 07:42 AM
Fuck! ...that is all Drinking Beverage Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post