29-07-2017, 02:43 PM
RE: Cursing, Swearing, Cussing, and Why I Just Don't Care

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2017, 04:04 PM
I don't trust a man who doesn't cuss. Similarly, I don't trust a man who won't stop cussing in mixed company.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
29-07-2017, 06:19 PM
One more vote here for restraint. I don't believe in contrived politeness but I do believe in civil society.

I am not bashful about the occasional scatalogical reference or for, say, making this forum ... uncomfortable ... for some prudish, self-important troll. Nothing says "I don't give a shit what you think" like a cuss-storm to someone you just want to Go Away. At the same time, degenerating to every fourth word being "fuck" or "fucking" is not impressive either.

That said, I think the OP probably is pretty restrained given her background and she just has a sanctimonious boss who is uncomfortable with "normal" cursing in a situation such as cutting your finger. It probably would be a good idea to tamp it down around him so he doesn't find an excuse to fire you or even pass you up for a raise. Just a reality of life in some parts of 'Murica.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
29-07-2017, 06:24 PM
(29-07-2017 06:19 PM)mordant Wrote:  That said, I think the OP probably is pretty restrained given her background and she just has a sanctimonious boss who is uncomfortable with "normal" cursing in a situation such as cutting your finger. It probably would be a good idea to tamp it down around him so he doesn't find an excuse to fire you or even pass you up for a raise. Just a reality of life in some parts of 'Murica.

I read it as if he was encouraging her to swear. You see, this is why I get in trouble.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-07-2017, 06:44 PM
(29-07-2017 01:54 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Am I the only one to notice that the OP passed up a perfectly fine opportunity to title the thread "[...] and why I don't give a fuck"?

Would have, but I tend to not come up with one liners over night unlike some. Shy

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
[+] 2 users Like Ruby Crystal's post
29-07-2017, 09:12 PM
(29-07-2017 06:44 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  
(29-07-2017 01:54 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Am I the only one to notice that the OP passed up a perfectly fine opportunity to title the thread "[...] and why I don't give a fuck"?

Would have, but I tend to not come up with one liners over night unlike some. Shy

Hang around here ... you'll pick up your game.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
30-07-2017, 10:31 AM
(29-07-2017 09:12 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(29-07-2017 06:44 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  Would have, but I tend to not come up with one liners over night unlike some. Shy

Hang around here ... you'll pick up your game.

Or just start swearing a lot more Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
30-07-2017, 10:52 AM
Please stop the fucking cursing please, goddamn it. Have some motherfucking class.
[+] 2 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
30-07-2017, 11:02 AM
I feel really uncomfortable and awkward when people curse. Freedom of speech is more important than my comfort, though.
[+] 5 users Like AnaBunny's post
30-07-2017, 12:52 PM
(30-07-2017 11:02 AM)AnaBunny Wrote:  I feel really uncomfortable and awkward when people curse. Freedom of speech is more important than my comfort, though.

Such people don't need to curse at all to make their points, any more than they need to slap you in the face to get your attention.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post