Cursing, Swearing, Cussing, and Why I Just Don't Care

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2017, 04:21 PM
RE: Cursing, Swearing, Cussing, and Why I Just Don't Care
(30-07-2017 10:31 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(29-07-2017 09:12 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Hang around here ... you'll pick up your game.

Or just start swearing a lot more Tongue

Yer fuckin'-A doo-dah!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-07-2017, 04:56 PM
More amusing to me is the people who jump through hoops to not actually curse. "God (damnit!) bless America!" was one of mother's favorites. It's like St. George of Carlin said, "You gotta wannnaaa!!!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
30-07-2017, 09:04 PM
We had some issues at the company I used to work for, before it got eaten by a bigger company. I shit you not, when I attended a lunch-hour seminar about violence in the workplace, one of the presenters actually said "Abusing your fellow workers is not a way to get promoted." That actually elicited laughter. It was a well-known "thing" that that was a path to promotion, at that company. Another was to break shit on the shop floor. In my many discussions about advancement, I made it clear that I wasn't going to break space worthy hardware, or physically or verbally abuse fellow employees to get promoted. I've seen all of that happen, with promotions all around. I've seen where supervisors had to hide their vehicles in a building so that fellow employees didn't vandalize them. And the threatening employee didn't get fired. This, at a major aerospace company, which shall remain unnamed. Just before that company got swallowed up, they had the corporate attorneys come and read us the riot act about how to act in the workplace, all the way down to, "If you have a racist/sexist/whatever joke, take it off- campus, and don't tell anyone else" (a 90-minute lecture!). A few million-dollar lawsuits tend to get a company's attention. Though I must say that it was probably the same at all of them. I worked for another one, nicknamed "The Evil Empire", where criminal activity was a regular activity among the employees, and laughed about by the others. Facepalm
31-07-2017, 08:13 AM
I'm of the "less is more" crowd but in practice I probably let the fucks fly more rather than less. Depends on the audience, and on a forum a lot of it is perceived audience...each thread can develop its own little personality and sometimes that affects my mood and therefore the language I use. A free-wheeling good-natured discussion with some humor is going to attract some curse words, as if you're at a lively table at a bar. In a serious debate I like it less and use it less and think it's better kept in the pocket for occasional emphasis on a point I feel strongly about. Some threads are like a quiet 8:00 am chat over coffee, the context just doesn't feel right. "Loved your blending of pastels on that watercolor arrangement. You really fucking nailed that cocksucker."
[+] 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post
01-08-2017, 05:39 AM
(31-07-2017 08:13 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  Some threads are like a quiet 8:00 am chat over coffee, the context just doesn't feel right. "Loved your blending of pastels on that watercolor arrangement. You really fucking nailed that cocksucker."
Laugh out load

A friend in the hole
"I'll be back when I want it...not when I need it." - Hawkeye
"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
01-08-2017, 06:30 AM
Too many Aussies swear too much and in the wrong places. I think it's because of a couple of things: Their less than adequate command of the English language; being unable to articulate their feelings adequately when in stressful situations or public debate; and too much of a "blokey" attitude. In many male circles Downunder, correct diction, clear enunciation and an extended vocabulary can be considered somewhat effeminate—especially at the front bar or out in the sticks.

Despite being ex-Army, I tend not to swear nearly as much in public as some of my peers, and I certainly don't swear in mixed company until I've sussed out the "lay of the land".

Although words such as shit, arsehole, wanker, cocksucker, fart, and prick are all used more or less in everyday speech nowadays. The sole word still used publicly with some discretion is of course 'cunt'. Although even that's popped up here in a few Aussie TV dramas—as does 'fuck' on a regular basis.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
01-08-2017, 07:47 AM
Swearing using words drawn from Catholic sacraments is absolutely part of Quebecois culture. These swear words, known as sacres, are much stronger than words that revolve around sex or excrement.
They are very numerous and it's normal to string them together, especially since they have a cumulative effect.

(from the very interesting Wikipedia article above)

...Usually, more than one of these words is used in a Quebec expression. The words are simply connected with de (of), without any restrictions. Long strings of invective can be connected in this Quebec way, and the resulting expression doesn't have to have any concrete meaning. For example, Mon ostie de saint-sacrament de câlice de crisse! (literally: "My host of (the) holy sacrament of (the) chalice of Christ").

Non-religious terms may also be strung together in this Quebec way, as in Mon crisse de char est brisé, tabarnak de câlisse (literally: "My Christ of (a) car is broken, tabernacle of (the) chalice").[2] In areas where English is also commonly spoken, English expletives are often inserted. Fuck ostie ("fuck [the] host") is common in Quebec. ...

The use of such terms is so common, you'll here them on regular (non-cable) programs all the time. In fact, a person's refusal to use any form of such slang is considered typical of a snob or a religious prude (une grenouille de bénitier literally referring to a person who is very religious as a frog living in a baptimal font) Laughat

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.”
― Bertrand Russell
[+] 2 users Like Reducetarian's post
01-08-2017, 08:52 AM
So Reducetarian, I think maybe you just explained to me why an acquaintance uses the angry phrase of "Well Christ on a cracker!" Never made the least bit of sense to me before. Thanks! I always learn something in this place.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
01-08-2017, 03:13 PM
(01-08-2017 08:52 AM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  So Reducetarian, I think maybe you just explained to me why an acquaintance uses the angry phrase of "Well Christ on a cracker!" Never made the least bit of sense to me before. Thanks! I always learn something in this place.

According to the Wikipedia article above, the Irish and Italians also use the same form of religion-based expletives, hence expressions such as Jesus wept and Jesus, Marie, Joseph

When your society is under the boot of a highly brutal and repressive form of Catholicism, as those parts of the world were/are, it makes sense to take out your frustration by denigrating the Church's most sacred objects.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.”
― Bertrand Russell