Cutting Ties... The whole 9 yards

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2012, 06:51 PM
I've stayed away from my family, but there are still legal ties I have to them.

I'm contemplating having my parents rights to speak on my behalf removed if I were in a coma or something of the like. Not that I plan to be in a coma, but I want to rule out their religious-based reasoning of action or inaction if I were to be in a situation where I can't speak for myself.

First off, it hasn't been long I've been pondering it. I guess the biggest thing in all of this is that I don't have much information on how to go about it, or if it really is a good idea. All I know is that they are the type of people who will refuse a blood transfusion if their life depended on it, due to some archaic verse in a book they've dog-eared since I was a kid.

Secondly, it's only recent as well that my parents behaviors have been shedding light to the situation. I view my mother and father as being unfit to make any decisions for my well-being, since they barely showed any when I was a child, and consider shunning a request by their god to remain pure. But if I were to be in an accident, and they were to have a say, I wouldn't put it past them to do something foolish.

I don't know if anyone else has ever felt this way. I'm not too happy it's come to this, with the whole recovery process of religion, but I do think it's a necessary step, and making the best informed decision for myself.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-09-2012, 06:57 PM
RE: Cutting Ties... The whole 9 yards
Get a living will stating your wishes. Cover everything in it. Then make sure you have a relative or friend that will make sure those wishes are adhered to. Give that trusted person a medical power of attorney. Add an addendum that specifies no religious actions are to take place around you or directed at you.

When dad wanted his treatment stopped except for pain management, I had to speak for the family and say that we knew what dad's wishes were although he had a living will, they still wanted to hear it said and wouldn't listen to him. They claimed he might be too screwed up on the pain meds to really say what he wanted. He was screwed up in some things, like his days and nights were mixed up, but he was quite coherent. He finally told the doctor in a firm voice, ask my kids they know what I want. That's when my siblings exited stage left.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
30-09-2012, 07:03 PM
Thanks, Anjele. I'm gonna have to see a lawyer, then. Come to think of it, I may like the lawyer I'll get. They get called workers of the devil... common ground!

[+] 3 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
30-09-2012, 07:11 PM
(30-09-2012 07:03 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Thanks, Anjele. I'm gonna have to see a lawyer, then. Come to think of it, I may like the lawyer I'll get. They get called workers of the devil... common ground!

I don't know if its available in Canada, but in the US, legalzoom.com has the info you need for things like living wills so you don't have to pay high lawyer fees for something you can file yourself. I guess it depends on how complex your situation is and if you feel like you need an official legal advocate to speak for you.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
30-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Thanks Erx, I'll check it out in the morning.

01-10-2012, 06:59 AM
Get married.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
01-10-2012, 07:10 AM
Not anytime soon. Wink

01-10-2012, 07:26 AM
You don't need a lawyer to do a living will. Download the document and fill it out. It's easy.

It's better to not hand it over to hospital staff when you are checking in for something routine. You want to be treated to the max then, since recovery is more than just likely. But you want a friend to have it handy, in case something goes terribly wrong. Medical staff is not to be left making decisions either!!!!

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man