Cyanobacteria, our little hero

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2014, 05:27 PM
RE: Cyanobacteria, our little hero
(01-03-2014 05:18 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I know what's written. That fact that you don't know how hydrogen and hydrogen gas really exist in nature is simply more evidence of your utter ignorance of the subject.

you might elucidate what hydrogen has to do with the subject ?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2014, 05:27 PM
Cyanobacteria, our little hero
(01-03-2014 05:12 PM)Godexists Wrote:  
(01-03-2014 04:04 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Traits arise through mutation.

And from what did they mutate ?

Move those goal posts!

[Image: enujasap.jpg]

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 1 user Likes rampant.a.i.'s post
01-03-2014, 05:28 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2014 06:09 PM by Mathilda.)
I've just been finding out about cyanobacteria and found this tutorial on youtube.

What I found particularly interesting was at 5:11 where it describes photosynthesis as an equation. 6 molecules of water plus 6 molecules of carbon dioxide plus light from the sun, produces one molecule of sugar and 6 molecules of Oxygen.

Simply put, the first cyanobacteria mutated from prokaryotic bacteria. It started photosynthesising due to a mutation and in doing so locking energy from the sun as sugar with O2 as the waste product.

I don't see anything unexpected with this at all. Prokaryotic bacteria was the dominant life on earth for a billion years. The number of bacteria that existed in those billion years would have been several orders of magnitude greater. Would it make any difference if it had taken two billion years instead? Or three?

Ironically the OP has inadvertently drawn my attention to the perfect example that I was looking for with regards to a computer model that I am currently working on. I'm still reading up on this so excuse any slip up I make but from what I think I've understood so far:

Why should this mutation that locked energy from the sun into a sugar have proven successful? As the universe has expanded since the big bang, thermodynamic gradients have developed and entropy has increased.

We know that complex spacetime structures develop minimising their entropy locally at the expense of maximising entropy globally. In doing so they make the thermodynamic gradients more shallow.

Energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be converted into different forms. Each time it is converted there is some waste, some entropy.

The more shallow the gradient the more that global entropy is maximised. This is because you need more efficient conversions to work with smaller amounts of available free-energy in order to produce more entropy as the thermodynamic gradient becomes shallower.

Locking up the energy from the sunlight into a sugar is an example of this. Photons from the sun hit the earth and produced heat. The thermodynamic gradient between the hot Earth and the cold of space was still quite steep. This steep gradient allowed work to be done. Converting the energy from the sun into chemical energy allows the thermodynamic gradient to be put to work before it is reflected away from the Earth thereby making the gradient more shallow and with entropy being increased as a result. This is why the air is cooler above a rain forest for example, rain forests are known for efficiently recycling resources and energy. The rain forest makes the thermodynamic gradient between the sun and the reflection of energy back into space more shallow.

Of course the newly mutated cyanobacteria is not concerned about this, it's just part of a process in the same way that shaking soil in a riddle will filter out the stones.
[+] 6 users Like Mathilda's post
01-03-2014, 05:38 PM

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
01-03-2014, 06:33 PM
(01-03-2014 05:27 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  
(01-03-2014 05:12 PM)Godexists Wrote:  And from what did they mutate ?

Move those goal posts!

No, thats a logical question. I am still on the very same subject.
01-03-2014, 06:34 PM
(01-03-2014 05:38 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

not answering the question, and moving the goal post ?

you are a troll.
01-03-2014, 06:39 PM
(01-03-2014 05:28 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Simply put, the first cyanobacteria mutated from prokaryotic bacteria.

So what survival advantage should that mutation provide ? Prokaryotic bacterias were doing perfectly fine without photosynthesis.
01-03-2014, 06:49 PM
(01-03-2014 05:27 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  
(01-03-2014 05:12 PM)Godexists Wrote:  And from what did they mutate ?

Move those goal posts!

Those aren't the right goal posts silly!

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-03-2014, 06:57 PM
(01-03-2014 05:12 PM)Godexists Wrote:  I don't want to be rude, but again : you are not entitled to tell me, what i should, what i should not. Live with that.

If you wish to have a discussion on [topic X], where X is something you know nothing about, it would behoove you to study [topic X] prior to breaching it.

That way the responses to your comments might well be substantive, instead of variations on a theme of "you don't know what you're talking about".

I am as entitled to respond to your posts as you are to make them. To argue otherwise on an internet forum would obviate the purpose of an internet forum.

Deal with it.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
01-03-2014, 07:20 PM
(01-03-2014 06:34 PM)Godexists Wrote:  
(01-03-2014 05:38 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

not answering the question, and moving the goal post ?

you are a troll.

Yeah Mr. minus-10-who-showed-up-yesterday-asserting-that-for-which-there-is-not-a-shred-of-evidence, who can't even BEGIN to refute anything in the videos I have posted, I'm such a troll.

Shoo fly.

Please report me again before you leave.
Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.