Cybernetics.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2012, 07:28 AM
Cybernetics.
When I was a Child I used to watch a programme called "tommorows world" which was on the BBC and it used to try and guess what technology will be available in the future.

As a young gullible child all of this excited me and stretched the limits of my imagination..I dreamt technology would change the world making it some sort of utopia.... however now as a slightly less gullible and more "realistic" adult the thought of cybernetics scares the shit out of me.

I believe one day we will have semi-autonomous robotic units..... as capitalism seeks more way to turn a profit I believe these units could potentially start to replace people in different Industrys.... units that can work more efficiently, with no breaks 24/7.

One of the biggest things I see this in is the defence industry.... if by some chance they can add AI that requires no human "handler" to control it.... then these units will do the will of the few will no morals.

As man struggles with his mortality I think we will turn to these units to artificially extend our lives....... whilst this in turn sounds harmless..... I try to take imagine who will be the "pioneers" of this and I dont think it will be the average Joe..... it will be the super rich who will afford this luxury.

Maybe im just scaremongering myself into this bias towards it..... but when I look at how the world has operated in the past to how it operates now..... I think my concern can be slightly justified.

Ive held this subject in my thoughts for a while now ever since I saw this video a few months ago.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2012, 07:50 AM
RE: Cybernetics.
You speak like robots haven't already taken peoples jobs...

Also gotta love all these anti-capitalism threads. Okay I get it TTA, you hate capitalism.

And so the rich could get this first, what's your point?

Plus this guys dreaming if he thinks our brains are gonna be transferred to cyborgs by 2020.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
11-08-2012, 07:59 AM
If I were to provide a breakdown of everything that was wrong with that video, I'd get a universal "tl;dr". And the time-frames are laughable. I remember getting excited about nano-technology 20 years ago; very little has changed, since then.

Oh, and I miss Tomorrow's World.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Red Celt's post
11-08-2012, 08:02 AM
(11-08-2012 07:50 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Also gotta love all these anti-capitalism threads. Okay I get it TTA, you hate capitalism.

Money is your god. You defend it with the zealotry of a rabid theist. So don't be surprised if some atheists disavow your god along with all the others.
[+] 2 users Like Red Celt's post
11-08-2012, 08:46 AM
Robots are allready taking over different industies Muffs yes..... I cannot deny this. These robots are the pioneers of what we will have in the future I believe.

Irregardless of the timescale of the events shown in the video science is heading towards them..... some may be achieved and some may not..... however given the rapid evolution of computer technology since the 80s I dont see why we shouldnt see things very similar to whats in the video in 100 years time..... once they overcome the heat problem nothing will stop computer technology leaping and bounding in huge steps.

The problem I have Muffs with the super rich getting hold of this technology first is this.........

The super rich (without going into conspiracy mode) have a big say on how the world operates, they are very influential by all of the power that they hold...... Currently we share the same basic needs, we all need to eat, drink and rest..... what would happen if a group surpassed these basic primitive needs? Globalism currently sees the world profiting off the misery of others........ I dont think this will change at all in the future...... in fact the gap between rich and poor may have a new subcatergory added.... that of "Immortal vs Mortal"

This whole thread is hypothetical of course....... However I try to gauge how I percieve the world to be operating right now and push it into the future.

I dont see world peace put it that way.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
11-08-2012, 08:56 AM
(11-08-2012 07:50 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Also gotta love all these anti-capitalism threads. Okay I get it TTA, you hate capitalism.

And so the rich could get this first, what's your point?
Atlas Shrugged was rambly and long winded... get over it...

I don't think these technologies will happen in the timeframes or methods described in the video.

And earmuffs... capitalism AND communism both suck ass when taken to extremes. The form of capitalism we have around today isn't what Ayn Rand had in mind at the time the book was written.

The world is too complex for one simple capitalism solution that matches your narrow views.

Eventually capitalism will not be an appropriate model any more but there is no point speculating what economics will look like at that time.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 2 users Like DeepThought's post
11-08-2012, 09:12 AM
(11-08-2012 08:56 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  And earmuffs... capitalism AND communism both suck ass when taken to extremes.

Indeed. Neither can work in isolation. Healthy societies use a balance between the two. Each time you vote, you're just nudging the slider a little to the left or to the right... and a future election will take it back towards the centre, if it strays too far from there.

Welcome to democracy.
[+] 1 user Likes Red Celt's post
12-08-2012, 08:01 AM
(11-08-2012 08:02 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  

Money is your god. You defend it with the zealotry of a rabid theist. So don't be surprised if some atheists disavow your god along with all the others.

Money is what makes the world go around son.

Quote:The super rich (without going into conspiracy mode) have a big say on how the world operates, they are very influential by all of the power that they hold...... Currently we share the same basic needs, we all need to eat, drink and rest..... what would happen if a group surpassed these basic primitive needs? Globalism currently sees the world profiting off the misery of others........ I dont think this will change at all in the future...... in fact the gap between rich and poor may have a new subcatergory added.... that of "Immortal vs Mortal"

Yea I'm still not following what your point is.

Pretty much everything new that comes out the rich or/and famous get it first.
Not so much now, but certainly earlier. Look at mobilephones for example. Or when cars first came abut.
History shows this, I mean it's pretty much a given.
But what history also tells is is the wonderful thing about capitalism in that money is a driving factor and so if you were to only have this available to 1% at say $1million, $975,000 being profit (for example sake) you'd make just under $3,000,000,000,000 ($3trillion). Based on the current American population of 300million. But if you were to offer it for say $50,000, with like $25,000 profit. Let's say 80% could afford that (weekly payments if needed). That's $6trillion dollars profit. Double. "Problem" solved. Capitalism saves the day.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
12-08-2012, 08:10 AM
(12-08-2012 08:01 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Money is what makes the world go around son.

No, that would be the gravitational pull as the planet formed, you theistic nut-job.
12-08-2012, 09:26 AM
I thought this was about the technology in the future?
Whats with the capitalism and profits and political stuffs.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.