Cynics only please - please read the OP before posting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2014, 02:27 AM
Cynics only please - please read the OP before posting
* Please don't reply unless you believe that civilisation will be dead within 1000 years from now *

This is a thread for people who believe that human civilisation is enjoying its last days and that within the next 1000 years it will have disintegrated, the world's population having shrunken significantly and the enviornment destroyed.

I would like people to write a post illustrating the life of a fictional person who lives at that time, describing their daily life and the environment in which they live.

There are, of course, many threats to our planet right now. There is climate change and there are more anthropic troubles as well such as the possibility of an Islamic movement developing into a powerful state leading to a nuclear war which tips the planet over the edge. Perhaps a supervolcano blackens the skies and poisons the air.
But whatever you believe will happen, if it does not happen within 1000 years from now please refrain from replying.

Thanks Smile

PS. This is all of course under the assumption that there will be some humans left alive (so not a complete extinction) in limited numbers. Your post doesn't have to be long but just well thought out. It'd be a good way to express your creativity and illustrate the extent to which you've thought about the whole picture for this fictional person's new world.

PPS. Sorry for the bleak tone of all this - let us hope I am wrong, but please try to enjoy my exercise as as a test of fiction writing if you like. Smile

** Jingo Planet **
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2014, 02:37 AM
RE: Cynics only please - please read the OP before posting
Do you have a paper due at school or something?
Perhaps a creative writing class? Tongue
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
01-07-2014, 02:50 AM
(01-07-2014 02:37 AM)pablo628 Wrote:  Do you have a paper due at school or something?
Perhaps a creative writing class? Tongue

Lol no. I'm 29 and housebound - i've a lot of time to think. Plus I only write non-fiction myself and very rarely. Smile

I wanna see how well-considered people can be on this topic and how much they factor in.

** Jingo Planet **
01-07-2014, 03:34 AM
(01-07-2014 02:27 AM)barcelonic Wrote:  ...
civilisation will be dead within 1000 years from now

Please define 'civilisation'.

Thanks.

01-07-2014, 03:44 AM
(01-07-2014 03:34 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(01-07-2014 02:27 AM)barcelonic Wrote:  ...
civilisation will be dead within 1000 years from now

Please define 'civilisation'.

Thanks.

OK imagine no government, no hospitals or schools, people live whererever it is safe to do so. The nature of this apocalypse is entirely up to the poster in this case but imagine a world where people scavenge to survive and rarely live past 20-30 yrs of age. Surely you've seen countless TV shows and movies set in such a world, so base the nature of your post-apocayptic world on whatever you believe may bring about the end of life as we know it.

Thanks Smile

** Jingo Planet **
01-07-2014, 07:36 AM
(01-07-2014 03:44 AM)barcelonic Wrote:  
(01-07-2014 03:34 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Please define 'civilisation'.

Thanks.

OK imagine no government, no hospitals or schools, people live whererever it is safe to do so
the end of life as we know it.

Thanks Smile

Sounds like utopia to me Drinking Beverage

01-07-2014, 07:56 AM
(01-07-2014 07:36 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(01-07-2014 03:44 AM)barcelonic Wrote:  OK imagine no government, no hospitals or schools, people live whererever it is safe to do so

Thanks Smile

Sounds like utopia to me Drinking Beverage

Somalia = utopia? Huh

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
[+] 1 user Likes John's post
01-07-2014, 08:27 AM
(01-07-2014 07:56 AM)John Wrote:  
(01-07-2014 07:36 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Sounds like utopia to me Drinking Beverage

Somalia = utopia? Huh

Perhaps it's a matter of interpretation...

Quote:OK imagine no government, no hospitals or schools, people live wherever it is safe to do so

imagine no government... universally established and accepted laws; hotbeds of corrupt, centralised power become unnecessary.

imagine no hospitals... no sickness; medicine designed to prevent disease; accidents and emergencies dealt with locally by mobile services; co-ordinated centrally.

imagine no schools... institutions of bullying and ostracisation are history; learning delivered on-line and in small community groups; universally established and accepted syllabus based on processes, facts and science.

imagine people live wherever it is safe to do so... everywhere and anywhere are safe to live.
imagine the end of life as we know it... no religions; no totalitarian states; no corrupt multi-nationals (based on Darwinian survival principles and governed by psychopaths thus promoting psycho-genes over empathy genes); no wars over territory, ideology or oil...

... it's easy if you try.

[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post
01-07-2014, 09:29 AM
(01-07-2014 08:27 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(01-07-2014 07:56 AM)John Wrote:  Somalia = utopia? Huh

Perhaps it's a matter of interpretation...

Quote:OK imagine no government, no hospitals or schools, people live wherever it is safe to do so

imagine no government... universally established and accepted laws; hotbeds of corrupt, centralised power become unnecessary.

imagine no hospitals... no sickness; medicine designed to prevent disease; accidents and emergencies dealt with locally by mobile services; co-ordinated centrally.

imagine no schools... institutions of bullying and ostracisation are history; learning delivered on-line and in small community groups; universally established and accepted syllabus based on processes, facts and science.

imagine people live wherever it is safe to do so... everywhere and anywhere are safe to live.
imagine the end of life as we know it... no religions; no totalitarian states; no corrupt multi-nationals (based on Darwinian survival principles and governed by psychopaths thus promoting psycho-genes over empathy genes); no wars over territory, ideology or oil...

I thought ye hippies died out decades ago... Weeping

...around the time when Johnny bit the bullet and kicked the bucket.

But you just morphed into something even more weird. What keeps you guys alive?? Obviously something more than an apple pint a day.

(01-07-2014 08:27 AM)DLJ Wrote:  ... it's easy if you try.

I can think of lots of things that fit this one. Most of them are painful. Dodgy

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
[+] 1 user Likes John's post
01-07-2014, 09:34 AM
It's the year 2509 - my name is Carl, and I was born on 2489. I'm a 20 year old just trying to make it in this crisis. Ever since the war of 2210, whatever hopes we ever had of replenishing our scarce resources are now wishful. Countries have, since 2103 been indefinitely running low on natural resources and other countries unwillingness to supply has led to frequent wars demanding them.

The wars, along with combined scarcity of natural resources, declination and destruction of environmental habitats, and holes in the ozone layer leading to immense radiation have drastically decreased our human population to the few millions. We've desperately tried to combat these problems with technology, but it can only help us so much considering the multitude of irreversible problems we've let precede our desire to deal with them.

The average life expectancy has been diminishing quite steadily for quite some time, and is now around 50-60 years of age. Many of the young die, especially in the impoverished areas, and so reproduction rates have been radically changed.

I don't really have a future ahead of me, I'm just trying to make it, really. I live with a group of post-apocalyptic nuts who are so demoralized that it seems they can only find false respite in their many religions. Many new ones have been made, each having their own self-appointed messiahs and predictions of when the earth will end.

It seems like nobody really cares anymore, and I guess it's quite understandable why. The experts (who knows if they're even qualified with our non-existent education system), have already told us that at this rate of equilibrium, our species won't be around to see the next century. I doubt it though, they've been saying it for years. All the elderly always say the generation after them are worse. But you know what? Old men live, old men die, and the world keeps on going.

So my daily life? We're scavengers who raid on little groups much like our own, and pillage their resources so that we can make it to the next day, only to pillage again. We can't live like this forever, and it's going against all of our evolutionary instincts, but ourselves come first, whatever you may try to say. Not living cumulatively anymore, we don't have much time left. My group is working on more bomb shelters and we've been keeping extra resources there, in case there's another nuclear attack. Many areas are rendered inhabitable, and nobody bothers anymore to say which ones. Often times, we're tiptoeing around not knowing where to go, so we just simply stay put in our part of the land, waiting for the next caravan to come by.

By the way, when was the last time a caravan came by anyway? Know how I said a few million are still alive? I honestly have no clue. For all I know, there could be no more than a few thousand left. I don't even know who I can trust anymore. Eventually, when people start getting hungry, they'll go after the supplies and make a run for it themselves. It's quite funny for me to say anyway, I already took an extra portion of the little canned food we have left. We live in isolation, in our own little groups scattered across the lands, each waiting for the next.

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
[+] 6 users Like Freethought's post