Cynics only please - please read the OP before posting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2014, 10:45 AM
RE: Cynics only please - please read the OP before posting

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post
01-07-2014, 06:42 PM
(01-07-2014 09:34 AM)Freethought Wrote:  It's the year 2509 - my name is Carl, and I was born on 2489. I'm a 20 year old just trying to make it in this crisis. Ever since the war of 2210, whatever hopes we ever had of replenishing our scarce resources are now wishful. Countries have, since 2103 been indefinitely running low on natural resources and other countries unwillingness to supply has led to frequent wars demanding them.

The wars, along with combined scarcity of natural resources, declination and destruction of environmental habitats, and holes in the ozone layer leading to immense radiation have drastically decreased our human population to the few millions. We've desperately tried to combat these problems with technology, but it can only help us so much considering the multitude of irreversible problems we've let precede our desire to deal with them.

The average life expectancy has been diminishing quite steadily for quite some time, and is now around 50-60 years of age. Many of the young die, especially in the impoverished areas, and so reproduction rates have been radically changed.

I don't really have a future ahead of me, I'm just trying to make it, really. I live with a group of post-apocalyptic nuts who are so demoralized that it seems they can only find false respite in their many religions. Many new ones have been made, each having their own self-appointed messiahs and predictions of when the earth will end.

It seems like nobody really cares anymore, and I guess it's quite understandable why. The experts (who knows if they're even qualified with our non-existent education system), have already told us that at this rate of equilibrium, our species won't be around to see the next century. I doubt it though, they've been saying it for years. All the elderly always say the generation after them are worse. But you know what? Old men live, old men die, and the world keeps on going.

So my daily life? We're scavengers who raid on little groups much like our own, and pillage their resources so that we can make it to the next day, only to pillage again. We can't live like this forever, and it's going against all of our evolutionary instincts, but ourselves come first, whatever you may try to say. Not living cumulatively anymore, we don't have much time left. My group is working on more bomb shelters and we've been keeping extra resources there, in case there's another nuclear attack. Many areas are rendered inhabitable, and nobody bothers anymore to say which ones. Often times, we're tiptoeing around not knowing where to go, so we just simply stay put in our part of the land, waiting for the next caravan to come by.

By the way, when was the last time a caravan came by anyway? Know how I said a few million are still alive? I honestly have no clue. For all I know, there could be no more than a few thousand left. I don't even know who I can trust anymore. Eventually, when people start getting hungry, they'll go after the supplies and make a run for it themselves. It's quite funny for me to say anyway, I already took an extra portion of the little canned food we have left. We live in isolation, in our own little groups scattered across the lands, each waiting for the next.

COMMUNICATION ATTEMPT 0005135
WAITING FOR RESPONDER...

CONNECTION ESTABLISHED

Wow it is great to hear from you Carl! I've been checking the net system for comms every few days and wasn't even sure if there was anyone still out there.

For the last few months I've been wondering if i was the last one left. I'm holed up in an old cottage by the sea - i dont know where exactly. My mom used to tell me that people once swam in the sea and it was even good for their health. I hate the way the sea creatures look but they taste nice enough and it's keepin me going at least.

I wish i had a group too. But i can't complain - there's plenty of resources for me alone, and although i have been coughing a lot lately I feel kinda fine.

I think this place used to sell books. There's a few still here but I can't understand the language - I don't know where I am but my mom used to tell me that we came out here when i was little to escape the plagues out east. My dad never made it and we left him somewhere near a place called Cartagena.

Do you and your group have a map? Perhaps you could look for one when you are scavenging. I need to leave this old building. I have nightmares every night and I dont know but I think this building has something to do with it. It seems like I've been here forever but I dont know how to keep a track of the years.

I don't know how far away you are but maybe if i could just head north or south and stick to the sea maybe il find someone else or even run into you. Before my mom died she taught me how to use the net system and how to check for comms. I've been checking every day but yours was the first message I've found.

Hang on I just heard something outside I'll be right back

WAITING FOR USER...
CONNECTION TERMINATED

** Jingo Planet **
01-07-2014, 07:08 PM
(01-07-2014 10:45 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

That single episode made up for the rest of new Futurama's cruddiness.

... this is my signature!
01-07-2014, 07:46 PM
1000 years? Wow! Aren't we the optimistic one? Sleepy

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 2 users Like aurora's post
11-07-2014, 12:26 AM
My reply is the same to Atheist as it is to Christians.

That human beings are way to greedy let the world reach a state of complete destruction of all civilization. There is no money in it and those in power would forever lose their power and all the comforts that come with it. So short of world war 3 I don't see it happening.

And to me the fact that there hasn't been a WWIII or in my opinion anything that has even come close... is strong evidence for my theory.

So my Cynical Assessment is that Oppression and Exploitation demand Sustainability of civilization on some level. So there fore those in power will never let it happen.

(01-07-2014 02:27 AM)barcelonic Wrote:  * Please don't reply unless you believe that civilisation will be dead within 1000 years from now *

This is a thread for people who believe that human civilisation is enjoying its last days and that within the next 1000 years it will have disintegrated, the world's population having shrunken significantly and the enviornment destroyed.

I would like people to write a post illustrating the life of a fictional person who lives at that time, describing their daily life and the environment in which they live.

There are, of course, many threats to our planet right now. There is climate change and there are more anthropic troubles as well such as the possibility of an Islamic movement developing into a powerful state leading to a nuclear war which tips the planet over the edge. Perhaps a supervolcano blackens the skies and poisons the air.
But whatever you believe will happen, if it does not happen within 1000 years from now please refrain from replying.

Thanks Smile

PS. This is all of course under the assumption that there will be some humans left alive (so not a complete extinction) in limited numbers. Your post doesn't have to be long but just well thought out. It'd be a good way to express your creativity and illustrate the extent to which you've thought about the whole picture for this fictional person's new world.

PPS. Sorry for the bleak tone of all this - let us hope I am wrong, but please try to enjoy my exercise as as a test of fiction writing if you like. Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-07-2014, 01:11 PM
(01-07-2014 02:27 AM)barcelonic Wrote:  * Please don't reply unless you believe that civilisation will be dead within 1000 years from now *

This is a thread for people who believe that human civilisation is enjoying its last days and that within the next 1000 years it will have disintegrated, the world's population having shrunken significantly and the enviornment destroyed.

I would like people to write a post illustrating the life of a fictional person who lives at that time, describing their daily life and the environment in which they live.

There are, of course, many threats to our planet right now. There is climate change and there are more anthropic troubles as well such as the possibility of an Islamic movement developing into a powerful state leading to a nuclear war which tips the planet over the edge. Perhaps a supervolcano blackens the skies and poisons the air.
But whatever you believe will happen, if it does not happen within 1000 years from now please refrain from replying.

Thanks Smile

PS. This is all of course under the assumption that there will be some humans left alive (so not a complete extinction) in limited numbers. Your post doesn't have to be long but just well thought out. It'd be a good way to express your creativity and illustrate the extent to which you've thought about the whole picture for this fictional person's new world.

PPS. Sorry for the bleak tone of all this - let us hope I am wrong, but please try to enjoy my exercise as as a test of fiction writing if you like. Smile

Naw. I'm too cynical to accept that there will be any people alive in a thousand years. But there was a time when there was one left.
It's on a dry mud bed thousands of square miles where nothing grows and it rarely rains. When it does rain the water is poison. The only life left are those water bears and lots of other kinds of microbes. One might find small animals but they are extremely rare. Less rare are insects and this is what our lone survivor lives on. He is malnourished and slowly dying mostly from the water he is drinking. He has been alone for as long as he could remember and the only other human he has ever seen was his mother. She died when he was 4. He has survived four more years. But now for a year it hasn't rained and he hasn't found water for days. Then he died. The end.
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
13-07-2014, 02:44 AM
(11-07-2014 12:26 AM)thespiritualanarchist Wrote:  That human beings are way to greedy let the world reach a state of complete destruction of all civilization.

It saddens me to say it but this is happening right now.

The energy industry is determined to ensure that they continue to make money on pollutants like oil, gas and coal even though they know the world is dying from their extraction.

By the very nature of their greed itself, they will continue to do this until it is no longer possible to make money from these resources - at which point it will be too late.

So we must concede that the end of civilisation is not really in our hands. At one point humans will go extinct and it will not be due to human conflict but because the planet cannot sustain us any more. We can (and most likely will) destroy the planet and create the conditions which no longer support human existence.

** Jingo Planet **
20-08-2014, 07:32 PM
My best bet for downfall is that fossil fuels will run out before we can get to a renewable energy resource. There will be wars over the remaining drops of oil, and we will send practically suicidal space missions that will attempt to get to other planets, but will fail. As a last resort, nukes will be fired (most likely by an Islamist state if they have them, if not Israel) and most countries will be destroyed by the war. Disease and radiation poisoning will keep the human population down to small groups of starving cancerous people and fertility will go down to the point that humanity can't do anyhting but shrink. Bugs and micro organisms will be the only animals left, and that will be it.

If somebody points out a fallacy, and you call fallacy fallacy, that doesn't mean you are right. That just means you committed the very fallacy you accused your opponent of.
20-08-2014, 07:43 PM
It will probably happen within 15 years or so.

Truth seeker.
21-08-2014, 06:50 AM
(20-08-2014 07:43 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  It will probably happen within 15 years or so.

If I have to listen to more of your drivel, I will start hoping it happens today. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user