Día de Muertos - The Day of the Dead

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2016, 09:04 PM
Día de Muertos - The Day of the Dead
Wondering if anyone else is familiar with the Day of the Dead festival:

wikipedia

Long Story Short: It's a multi day festival where one honors dead friends and ancestors. It started out in Mexico and Central America as a religious holiday. However it has spread around the world and is incorporating aspects from other cultures and beliefs. The religious aspect is still there but the more it spreads around, the more watered down that will become.

It's the origin of the calaveras art:

[Image: 37c2c290ff836fb931daffe1bfa716aa_zpscbpdzu0l.jpg]

Personally, I like the idea of a day set aside to remember lost friends and celebrate their memories. Obviously, I don't hold with the prayers and religious aspects but I can't see anything wrong with remembering good people and good times.

Any thoughts?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2016, 01:42 AM
RE: Día de Muertos - The Day of the Dead
The Search Engine Google is showing this Doodle in its home page on November 2nd in few Countries for the Day of the Dead (Día de muertos)

Day of the Dead (Día de muertos) is a Mexican holiday celebrated throughout Mexico, in particular the Central and South regions, and by people of Mexican ancestry living in other places, especially the United States. It is acknowledged internationally in many other cultures. The multi-day holiday focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died, and help support their spiritual journey.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIeRfJI-2ow
02-11-2016, 05:59 AM
I love pan muerto (dead bread). ^^
02-11-2016, 01:13 PM
(31-10-2016 09:04 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Wondering if anyone else is familiar with the Day of the Dead festival:

wikipedia

Long Story Short: It's a multi day festival where one honors dead friends and ancestors. It started out in Mexico and Central America as a religious holiday. However it has spread around the world and is incorporating aspects from other cultures and beliefs. The religious aspect is still there but the more it spreads around, the more watered down that will become.

Personally, I like the idea of a day set aside to remember lost friends and celebrate their memories. Obviously, I don't hold with the prayers and religious aspects but I can't see anything wrong with remembering good people and good times.

Any thoughts?

That is the coolest face painting I've ever seen (assuming that's what it is).
02-11-2016, 03:21 PM
(02-11-2016 01:13 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(31-10-2016 09:04 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Wondering if anyone else is familiar with the Day of the Dead festival:

wikipedia

Any thoughts?

That is the coolest face painting I've ever seen (assuming that's what it is).

Yeah. Do a google image search. There are some really good ones. Very intricate.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky