D&D

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2011, 10:46 AM
D&D
Hey,
Anybody play Dungeons & Dragons.
I'm pretty crap at it , most video games based on it I just click on intuition without understanding the mechanics.
Whenever friends try to explain it , I feel like my brain may leak out my ears and drain away.
Is there no hope ?
Can you guys illuminate my ignorance ? Idea

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2011, 11:17 AM
RE: D&D
(04-02-2011 10:46 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Hey,
Anybody play Dungeons & Dragons.
I'm pretty crap at it , most video games based on it I just click on intuition without understanding the mechanics.
Whenever friends try to explain it , I feel like my brain may leak out my ears and drain away.
Is there no hope ?
Can you guys illuminate my ignorance ? Idea
Are you asking about the original RPG itself or about D+D video games?

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
04-02-2011, 12:30 PM
I've played Dungeons & Dragons since I was nine. My title of "Resident Gamer Geek" actually alludes to tabletop RPGs more than video games, in fact.

The D&D system works on the basic mechanic of rolling a twenty-sided die, adding any bonuses or penalties based on your character's ability and situation, then comparing it to a target number. If you beat that number, you succeed. Attack rolls are compared against a target's defense score (Armor Class), skill checks are compared against a difficulty number (Difficulty Class), and saving throws - reflexive rolls made to avoid bad things - are compared against a DC as well.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
04-02-2011, 12:51 PM
(04-02-2011 11:17 AM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  Are you asking about the original RPG itself or about D+D video games?

Both.

@Unbeliever
So there's a check for whether you hit , a check for abilities and a check for how much damage you do ?

And how do you learn all that when playing a game - on paper or on the PC ? How on earth can you remember all that ?

04-02-2011, 02:18 PM
(04-02-2011 12:51 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  So there's a check for whether you hit , a check for abilities and a check for how much damage you do ?

Basically. Whenever you want to do something, you roll a twenty-sided die, add whatever bonuses and penalties are appropriate, and tell the Dungeon Master (the guy running the game) your result. He tells you if you succeed or not.

Quote:And how do you learn all that when playing a game - on paper

It's actually not as complicated as it sounds. D&D is one of the more complex systems, but it doesn't take long to learn the basics, and the rulebooks are always on hand whenever you need to look up one of the more intricate bits.

Most tabletop RPGs have "sourcebooks", rulebooks for their system which contain all the source material you'll need to play. Whenever you can't remember how something works, you can look it up.

On top of that, most Game Masters don't bother to enforce the rules in every situation, and end up just doing whatever seems appropriate.

So it's not hard. If you'd like to learn more, just ask. I love tabletop RPGs. In fact, I plan on making a career out of designing adventures, campaigns, settings, and maybe even entire systems.

Quote:or on the PC ?

On the PC, you don't. The rules system for a PC game is usually irrelevant. The calculations happen behind the scenes, and you don't need to know how it works. If you know already that it's based on, say, World of Darkness, it might give you a slight edge when min-maxing your character, but it's largely irrelevant. You can figure out how to do most things without knowing the rules, because the computer makes all the rolls for you.

Quote:How on earth can you remember all that ?

Lots and lots of time logged running sessions, playing through adventures and building adventures. I've probably spent more time playing tabletop games than I have doing any other leisure activity.

That said, I know the rules a lot better than most other people do, and much better than you'd ever need to know them to actually play through most sessions. I know how D&D's Experience Point system works, for example, but most people don't bother with it. I can also tell you exactly what all of the Dread Powers in Hunter: The Vigil are, how much they cost, and what their effects are, but no one ever actually needs to memorize stuff like that. I just do because I enjoy it.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
04-02-2011, 04:01 PM
(04-02-2011 02:18 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  On the PC, you don't. The rules system for a PC game is usually irrelevant. The calculations happen behind the scenes, and you don't need to know how it works. If you know already that it's based on, say, World of Darkness, it might give you a slight edge when min-maxing your character, but it's largely irrelevant. You can figure out how to do most things without knowing the rules, because the computer makes all the rolls for you.

Still , when I play Dragon Age or Neverwinter , I can't escape the feeling that I am doing something wrong after I die the 5th time on easiest difficulty - that;s why I ask.
I want to understand the rules and be good at this in case I manage to play online with friends one day.

04-02-2011, 05:20 PM
All righty then. I'm assuming that both Dragon Age and Neverwinter are based on D&D v3.5. I don't actually know if they are or not.

Your character should have the following six stats:

- Strength - determines (duh) your strength and skills with melee weapons
- Dexterity - determines you agility and skill with ranged weapons
- Constitution - determines your toughness and Hit Points
- Intelligence - determines your skill with some kinds of magic and how quickly you learn skills
- Wisdom - determines your awareness of the world around you and your skill with some kinds of magic
- Charisma - determines your looks, your ability to manipulate others, and your skill with some kinds of magic

Those are your core stats. Everything listed below is derived from those:

- Hit Points - your health. Influenced by your Constitution. High Constitution means lots of Hit Points means less dying.
- Armor Class - how hard you are to hit. Influenced by your Dexterity, as well as what armor you're wearing. Lots of spells and magic items can raise your Armor Class further.
- Fortitude - your ability to resist poisons and other effects which attack your body.
- Reflex - your ability to avoid traps, explosions, and the like
- Will - your ability to shrug off mind-affecting things

Most games based off of D&D use a class system as well. You choose to play as a Rogue or Fighter or Wizard or whatever, and that determines your other abilities. Your class determines:

- What weapons and armor you can use
- What magic (if any) you can use
- Your Base Attack Bonus (how easy it is for you to hit someone in combat)
- Your Hit Points (Fighters have more Hit Points than Rogues, but your HP is also determined by your Constitution)
- What skills you can learn and how fast you can learn them

...That's about it, for character creation.

04-02-2011, 11:27 PM
So how does hitting someone work ?
First comes the chance to attack on my part compared to their chance to dodge ?
Then I'm guessing any magical and special stats are applied to that.
Then how does the 1d8 weapon hit armor (and are we talking standard armor or reverse armor i.e less is best ) ? Is it a dice roll with 8 sides , so if i roll 5 and they have 3 armor , I do 2 damage ?

05-02-2011, 12:48 AM
(04-02-2011 11:27 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  So how does hitting someone work ?
First comes the chance to attack on my part compared to their chance to dodge ?

When you attack someone, you roll a twenty-sided die, like normal, and add in your Base Attack Bonus, your Strength bonus* (when in melee combat) or Dexterity bonus (when in ranged combat), your bonuses from magical weapons and suchlike, then compare it to your target's Armor Class. If you equal or exceed their Armor Class, you hit them.

*: When you have a high Strength score, you get a bonus (a "Strength bonus") to rolls based off of Strength. Basically, the higher your Strength, the higher the bonus. The opposite is also true, though; a low Strength gives you a penalty to rolls based on Strength. All stats have a bonus associated with them; you have a Dexterity bonus, a Constitution bonus, and so on.

If your score is higher than 11, you're getting a bonus.

If your score is lower than 10, you're taking a penalty.

Quote:Then how does the 1d8 weapon hit armor (and are we talking standard armor or reverse armor i.e less is best ) ? Is it a dice roll with 8 sides , so if i roll 5 and they have 3 armor , I do 2 damage ?

No. The 1d8 refers to the amount of damage that the weapon does, not what you roll to hit with it. All weapons roll a twenty-sided die to see if you hit, then roll whatever die type they specify to find out how much damage you do.

Armor Class only determines how hard it is to land a hit on you. If you beat your opponent's Armor Class, you do full damage in almost every situation. The one thing that can reduce the amount of damage you take once someone lands a hit on you is Damage Reduction.

Damage Reduction is entirely separate from Armor Class. Armor Class determines how hard it is to hit you. Damage Reduction reduces the amount of damage you take once someone hits you. However, not everyone has Damage Reduction, and most armors don't have it. It's a rare ability. Armor or spells which give you Damage Reduction are extremely valuable.

An enemy with Damage Reduction 5 will reduce all damage he takes by 5. Most Damage Reduction, though, is something like Damage Reduction 5/-. The number before the slash indicates how much damage will be subtracted from the total. The phrase after the slash indicates what gets through the Damage Reduction.

For example, werewolves generally have Damage Reduction 10/silver. This means that all attacks which hit them will do 10 damage less than normal, unless they are hit with a silver weapon. Silver weapons deal normal damage to werewolves.

If the phrase after the slash is a -, then nothing gets through the Damage Reduction. Damage Reduction 5/- will only stop 5 damage each time, but nothing gets through it.

05-02-2011, 01:12 AM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2011 01:15 AM by ebilekittae.)
I had a question about damage reduction, actually. :O

On the x/- type, is magic also reduced by x? Or is it only physical? Artifacts also trump most damage reduction, right?

--

Also, to contribute, yep, I play! Big Grin I've only played 3.5, though. I've played lots of video games with the system, too (KotOR, Icewind Dale, that kind of thing). I love it! xD I'm the resident rules-lawyer/munchkin (if those two can be combined) of my group. I've only been playing for a few years, though, I'm not perfect on all the rules or anything and I don't know a thing outside of 3.5. Tongue

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user