D&D

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2012, 05:37 PM
D&D
Anyone still play it? DM it?
Have done both to help my writing in the past.
Have a favorite character of funny game moment to share?
Am all ears!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-03-2012, 06:07 PM
RE: D&D
The last D&D game I GMed was a 3rd Edition drunken dwarfs game at Gaelcon in October. It was great fun because the characters needed to stay drunk, and if they ever became sober, they would start suffering severe dice penalties. If they got too drunk, of course, they'd become useless. There was a frost giant to kill and all that, but the plot really seemed secondary.

I also use GMing as a writing tool, but unfortunately it's all I do. I've been told several times to write my scenarios into short stories or novels. I'm just way too lazy.

Have you played fourth ed? I can't say I like it. It's devolved into a card game at this point, with encounter, at will, and daily powers. Goes to show, even pen and paper games are getting dumbed down to appeal to the mainstream.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
29-03-2012, 06:11 PM
I have not played in a long time. Wanted to get into Forgotten Realms. Like the drow race. They are one complex and truly chaotic character type.
29-03-2012, 06:16 PM
They are not very playable though. It's rare that a GM will allow one as a player character. Unless it is maybe a drow game.
I have never played one myself though so I am not speaking from personal experience.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
29-03-2012, 10:17 PM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2012 10:23 PM by AnotherSinner.)
Oh I have...a male at that! It was interesting to say the least! Ending up going out all noble on accident too, dying in a female drow's stead. Talk about a bad way to go in a Chaotic Evil campaign! Lol!
Also have done oriental adventures, GM was obsessed with that stuff. I loved Vampires The Masquerade, but could never get the books long enough to build a campaign/story.
My hubby even DMed a campaign where I was a drow priestess trying to work her way up to top status and number one favored of Lolith. It was chaotic. Especially if you have read any of the Forgotten Realm books on Drow, not the roleplay stuff either, but the actual books! My hubby even took the time to find the character sheet for the most powerful male..aside from Drizz't Du Urden, Gromph...to likely put in game later! Sadly the group disbanded before then.
I have played clerics...druids....have yet to try fighter or monk classes. Then there is so much more out there now...that I would likely drown in a sea of possiblity.
30-03-2012, 02:36 AM
TADAM!

Yes, I have played id for years, no I haven't and will never play that abomination of the 4th edition, 3.5 is the ultimate. I've played everything from 2nd AD&D to 3.5 and 3.5 Edition is definitely the most balanced and most complicated system with most rule books, classes and all those details we love so much.

I played everything, good, evil, neutral, law, chaos, all classes and subclasses... My favourite is the Dread Necromancer, finaly they have made a true necromancer, much better than True Necromancer class, much better than a wizard, spec in necro... Yet it not as complicated and hard as a wizard with all the scrolls and stuff. When I was playing a wizard or cleric I would have my sheet and one book to write all the things inside, things like spells, scrolls, potions... I would end up just writing and calculating thing for the whole game, while others would just enjoy the game.

Last thing I played was a monk, Animal Shen, snake style. Superb class and prestige class. If you want, you can read the biography of this character here, and I can tell you my character sheet.

If I don't play a spellcaster, then I choose Barbarian/Fighter with Combat Reflexes and a Glaive in both hands. This combination has proven to be unbeatable. You just need to know what feats to use and make it indestructible with the biggest damage of any other in the group.

Never been a DM, don't want it, don't like it.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
30-03-2012, 07:48 AM
During college and my first job, friday or saturdaynights were the highlight of my week.
I was a n00b joining a geoup that was playing for over 10 years, our regular DM played since his parents tought him as a little kid.

Yes, -HIS PARENTS- tought him when he was a little kid, and I met those parents perfectly normal hardworking middle class people, salt of the earth.

Once we ran into a dragon skeleton that was slowly being reanimated, one of our guys jumped on t's head during the process and jammed 1 sword in the eye and the other through the skull and just kept kicking the hilt to do enough damage every turn.
They also told me they hung some 'bottles of infinite water' in a cave and then travelled to another plane.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
[+] 1 user Likes Caveman's post
30-03-2012, 08:44 AM
Wow, thanks for all this wonderful game experience.
Feel inspired to share a little myself. Our DM decided one campaign to allow people to play whatever they wanted. My husband played a male keaton (chain demon, not sure about the spelling of the name), and our other party member I believe was a werebear. Me...I decide to play a druid/mage. Not sure which it has been a long time since I have played.
We go up against some monster...(really not important), it is the saddest twist in the story that is comical and tradgic.
Hubby does the oddest thing, wraps his chain around the thing, but also has chain going from ceiling to floor of this cave. The cave floor, covered in water. Werebear is up high somewhere on this building in the middle of this cave. Me....I am intelligent here and decide to fry the monster using nothing short of a call lightening spell. In the process frying my hubby's character too as well as managing to do the same to the Werebear. I had successfully killed everyone! Save me.
Talk about hillarious!
30-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Sorry for this but after seeing it I always think of this when people discuss D&D

I've been in a few games as a visitor, but the one time I was supposed to join a campaign I ended up starting a novel instead =p
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2489425/
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2503284/
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/5284071/
It's not finished and needs a lot of work, but most people who've looked at it have been quite interested. I sometimes dislike how bad I am at sticking to things.
I'd have more experience but I just generally am not in crowds that keep games going. I have been in many TCG clicks =p I've done well in tournaments for them too. I find them to be fun strategy games, except unlike me most people just look for the strong actions instead of working with the rest.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
30-03-2012, 10:19 AM
I used to play D&D all the time.

Then I discovered systems that aren't unnecessarily complicated. And now I can't go back. >.>

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner