D&D

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2012, 12:59 PM
RE: D&D
Oh, but D&D is not complicated, it is only full of new rules, which I love to read and try out on paper... For me is the other way around, once I've entered the D&D world, I can never play anything without that much freedom, yet balanced rules to hold it all together. Nothing can compare to a good educated D&D crew and a campaign. Evil campaign. With Dread Necromancer as a healer and Tomb Tainted Soul feats for everyone. Negative energy healing is the best there is!

Big Grin

No other game can be this cool.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2012, 02:34 PM
(30-03-2012 12:59 PM)Filox Wrote:  Oh, but D&D is not complicated

Ohhhhh yes it is. You might argue that its rules give it lots of depth and flexibility, but it's very, very complicated nonetheless.

Personally, I dislike the class and level and alignment system, as I find it extremely limiting, and I find that the depth of D&D's rules can be easily achieved with other systems in much simpler ways, and these other systems often give you better options for non-combat situations. My favorites are Spirit of the Century, New World of Darkness (particularly Hunter: The Vigil and Changeling: The Lost), and CthulhuTech (though that one is admittedly just as complicated as D&D).

Not to say that D&D isn't a perfectly fine game. It's a lot of fun if you're heavily into the combat side of things. I'm not. I prefer games that are heavier on the role-playing and non-combat side, and I can sacrifice a little "realism" (e.g. about fifteen pages' worth of text on grappling rules) for ease of play (grappling is just a Fighting roll? Awesome!).

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
31-03-2012, 03:58 AM
You see, the "problem" with non-combat, or role-playing part must be addressed by a good DM. I never had any problem with the story, we make the story with our characters, DM has some basic story and it is up to us to make it as we go. Most of the time, we completely change his story, because we decide to do what we do every day, try to take over the world!! So the whole role-playing part is as good as your crew is, and that part has nothing to do with the rules, you just need to follow the basics of you alignment (which is perfect for me) and do a lot of talking.

When my friend got back from Afghanistan (a soldier, Croatian group) he brought us some maps and his stories, so he made a campaign on the military Afghanistan maps, and set us in the desert part of The Forgotten Realms, the South... It's all in the imagination.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson