D&D In Character Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2014, 05:26 PM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2014 09:42 PM by TheGulegon.)
RE: D&D In Character Thread
"All I know of these things, friends, is from what little I've read about them! In the books they're called Illithids. They eat other creature's brains for sustenance! Attack using their mind powers... their Telepathies I think is the name. They live underground, and are as at home in the water as they are on land like frogs. In fact I believe they spend the first years of their lives as tadpole looking creatures that cannot, at first, leave the water. I can't remember exactly, though. I am thinking, come sun up..., I think they despise the sun, too,... we should search out any caves that might be near, or perhaps someone knows of a lake, or a bog, relatively near to us. But I am not sure of that course of action, because that abomination looked like some awful hybrid of illithid and human. Something that should not be possible! I'm at a loss over to what to do next."

Consider

"Gwen! Show me where you said their tracks end, if you would! I have some prayers to say over the spot"

*Groh'L inspects that area, praying for R'holor to reward his investigations with knowledge*

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-05-2014, 02:40 AM
(15-05-2014 05:26 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  "All I know of these things, friends, is from what little I've read about them! In the books they're called Illithids. They eat other creature's brains for sustenance! Attack using their mind powers... their Telepathies I think is the name. They live underground, and are as at home in the water as they are on land like frogs. In fact I believe they spend the first years of their lives as tadpole looking creatures that cannot, at first, leave the water. I can't remember exactly, though. I am thinking, come sun up..., I think they despise the sun, too,... we should search out any caves that might be near, or perhaps someone knows of a lake, or a bog, relatively near to us. But I am not sure of that course of action, because that abomination looked like some awful hybrid of illithid and human. Something that should not be possible! I'm at a loss over to what to do next."

Consider

"Gwen! Show me where you said their tracks end, if you would! I have some prayers to say over the spot"

*Groh'L inspects that area, praying for R'holor to reward his investigations with knowledge*

"I suppose this is where they live or something?" says Isia, showing Groh'L the relief on the daggers.

"I'll have to say this again. I don't think we're ready to face such an enemy, even at daylight. Do we even know how to deal with this?"

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
16-05-2014, 05:34 PM
(15-05-2014 05:26 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  "All I know of these things, friends, is from what little I've read about them! In the books they're called Illithids. They eat other creature's brains for sustenance! Attack using their mind powers... their Telepathies I think is the name. They live underground, and are as at home in the water as they are on land like frogs. In fact I believe they spend the first years of their lives as tadpole looking creatures that cannot, at first, leave the water. I can't remember exactly, though. I am thinking, come sun up..., I think they despise the sun, too,... we should search out any caves that might be near, or perhaps someone knows of a lake, or a bog, relatively near to us. But I am not sure of that course of action, because that abomination looked like some awful hybrid of illithid and human. Something that should not be possible! I'm at a loss over to what to do next."

Consider

Gwen takes you to where the tracks end and even with her showing exactly what she saw you can just barely make out the tracks. At the site where they end you again pray for guidance and feel a strong sense of evil and magic, but the magic feels not arcane but rather similar to the magic that R'holor grants you, twisted and evil but divine in origin.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
16-05-2014, 05:59 PM
"Well... I say we retreat back to town. Nothing more to do here, but wait, and I don't want to find out the hard way, that the next attack will be comprised of nothing but enemies the equal of that last one that disappeared into the trees!"

"Wrap those daggers up, Isia; we don't want anyone sticking themselves by accident! We could take those daggers, and the bodies of those 2 creatures there, back to the Governor. See what he has to say about the lot of them."

"What say you, friends?"

17-05-2014, 10:23 AM
You load the wagon up and set off as dawn is breaking by just after midday you reach Righton. Pulling up in front of the Mayor's manor Gyrand himself comes to meet you. He examines the bodies and recognises them as former caravan guards. He instructs some of his guardsmen to dispose of the bodies and whisks you quickly inside before too many townsfolk can gather around. Inside he brings you back to his main hall and sends servants for wine and a light repast (you had eaten nothing but trail rations since the previous night) He questions each of you as to what exactly you saw and felt and had you leave both daggers and one of the Reliefs with him to investigate.

Gyrand: "This is most disturbing. A group of bandits is one thing but this sounds much more sinister. I will need time to find out what is on these blades, it is not a poison I am familiar with. I will also send off a few pigeons to help get some answers. In the meantime I would ask that you rest here for the remainder of the day and not leave the manor. I don't want the townsfolk getting riled up over you or hearing a word of this until we know what is going on. Tomorrow I will have a friend of mine take you to where the wolves have been spotted. That way you can eliminate a problem and stay out of sight. Now if any of you have questions I will try to answer what I can. But I am afraid my knowledge of this may not be much more than yours."

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
17-05-2014, 03:19 PM
The wolves were troubling, yes, but another thought troubled Gwen all the more, and it was this: Why were Thoven and Groh'l the only ones unaffected by the creature's attack?

Why, out of all of them, were those two spared? What was it about the pair that had withstood the attack when she and the others had fallen?

"I have only one question, sir," Gwen piped up. "Why do you think it is that Thoven and Groh'l were unaffected by this creature's attack when the rest of our party fell prey to it?"

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
17-05-2014, 03:37 PM
(17-05-2014 03:19 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  The wolves were troubling, yes, but another thought troubled Gwen all the more, and it was this: Why were Thoven and Groh'l the only ones unaffected by the creature's attack?

Why, out of all of them, were those two spared? What was it about the pair that had withstood the attack when she and the others had fallen?

"I have only one question, sir," Gwen piped up. "Why do you think it is that Thoven and Groh'l were unaffected by this creature's attack when the rest of our party fell prey to it?"

Gyrand turns to face you, taking out a pipe he fills it and lights it with a piece of charcoal held with tongs. He replaces the charcoal in a gilded bowl and takes a few puffs before answering you.

Gyrand: "Well from what you have told me I think it was Groh'l's prayers of protection from R'holor. I don't know how much any of you know about the old ones but I think this is a cult worshiping them. They were evil and wicked, and even now they can influence those who are susceptible to such. I can't say which of the old ones this group is revering but I would imagine it is or was a god of darkness and evil thus in direct conflict with R'holor.

Thus Groh'l was protected since he was actively communing with his patron and I would hazard to say Thoven was included since Groh'l was actively blessing him at the time of the attack. From what I can surmise I doubt they expected any of you to be able to resist at all, they were not prepared for any kind of struggle. I need to examine those daggers but if what I suspect is true it will have Icor of mind flayer on the blade, and had they stabbed any of you with them you would have been in the creatures thrall.

This is of course merely a hypothesis, mind you. I need to consult with some books and people and do some alchemical research to see if my guess is right. If it is then we must wonder how long this has been going on and to what end."

17-05-2014, 04:11 PM
Indeed, Miruion though. Gyrand's statement came over as a serious understatement. A mere group of bandits would have been one thing; this had become quite another. Goblins were such a simpler matter.

"If what you say is true," he spoke, "we are not completely without our own advantages. We, too, were unexpected opponents - by R'holor's grace through Groh'L's intervention we surprised them." Miruion paused. "I am not given in to specific worship," he added, sparing Groh'L a nod. "It is not a traveller's role to do so. But I would welcome your advice on any rites or incantations the others among us might call upon."

Perforce they awaited Gyrand's investigation, but the matter would not brook hesitating overlong. The dissonance would grow unmanageable if so; the caravan attacks had already been permitted for far too long.

We shall see.

... this is my signature!
17-05-2014, 04:55 PM
*Groh'L asks of Gyrand*

"You say you recognize these things as former townspeople, Gyrand! How many guards have you lost? I would like to know how many transformed townspeople we might have to face! Also, were these guards lost recently, or were they some of the first to go missing? Others may be further along in their transformation into illithids, if indeed that is the only species these poor people are being shaped into!"

Consider

"I would also like to know a little more about these "old ones" you've mentioned! When inspecting the spot from which it appeared our assailants seemingly teleported into our vicinity, I felt the presence of evil magic! However, this kind was not of a mindless, arcane type, available for use by any mage with the skill, but... granted... by a force or entity far more malicious than anything I've ever dealt with in my travels! An agent of The Dark One, or at the very least, an evil entity powerful enough to believe itself that important... I just don't know."

*Groh'L nods at Miruion*

"If you were addressing me, my steel knuckled friend, I have not achieved enough successes for R'holor in his fight against evil to have accumulated an overwhelming number of blessings to bestow upon our group. Likewise I haven't yet been blessed with the ability to do more, in battle, than healing my companions. Otherwise I must pray for us within a certain time limit from engaging in battle for the blessing to affect us. They wear off after too, long, but I will certainly spend my time praying for us, whenever I know we mean to face these creatures, again! I have some ideas on what specific blessings I'll try for."

Consider

"You were a former adventurer, Gyrand! Do you have any artifacts that might make us immune to their mind attacks?"

17-05-2014, 05:25 PM
(17-05-2014 04:55 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  *Groh'L asks of Gyrand*

"You say you recognize these things as former townspeople, Gyrand! How many guards have you lost? I would like to know how many transformed townspeople we might have to face! Also, were these guards lost recently, or were they some of the first to go missing? Others may be further along in their transformation into illithids, if indeed that is the only species these poor people are being shaped into!"

Consider

"I would also like to know a little more about these "old ones" you've mentioned! When inspecting the spot from which it appeared our assailants seemingly teleported into our vicinity, I felt the presence of evil magic! However, this kind was not of a mindless, arcane type, available for use by any mage with the skill, but... granted... by a force or entity far more malicious than anything I've ever dealt with in my travels! An agent of The Dark One, or at the very least, an evil entity powerful enough to believe itself that important... I just don't know."

*Groh'L nods at Miruion*

"If you were addressing me, my steel knuckled friend, I have not achieved enough successes for R'holor in his fight against evil to have accumulated an overwhelming number of blessings to bestow upon our group. Likewise I haven't yet been blessed with the ability to do more, in battle, than healing my companions. Otherwise I must pray for us within a certain time limit from engaging in battle for the blessing to affect us. They wear off after too, long, but I will certainly spend my time praying for us, whenever I know we mean to face these creatures, again! I have some ideas on what specific blessings I'll try for."

Consider

"You were a former adventurer, Gyrand! Do you have any artifacts that might make us immune to their mind attacks?"

Gyrand: Those were not townsfolk but rather merchants guards, hired swords to guard their wagons along the road. Either they were co-opted after being attacked or they may have been planted .... *shudders* Disturbing thought that and I don't wish to give dark thoughts wings with no proof. As for the transformation you mentioned I doubt that is a simple process. Plus he called himself Chosen, you said, that sounds more a title than a name. I would not expect there were many like him around. The kind of magic to make a chimera is of high cost and to do so with sentient beings is higher. Two sentient beings would take either a master of the art (I was never one for necromancy but I doubt even were I to have studied it as much as I did my illusion I could perform such a feat) or a demi-god. No best to assume he is unique or at least very rare until we see proof otherwise.

As to the old ones how much do you know about fallen or dead gods? Not much I assume, it is not a study any priesthood holds favorably. They are gods who have lost their followers or suffered some kind of defeat or simply went into hibernation, there are many theories. In any event most are as dead as such a being can be and can no more grant powers than a rock. Some however sleep lightly and can still touch the world. They tend to have followers still among the mad and displaced. Heathen cults worship some and well there are the dark races to remember. No one knows who the Illithid worship. I have never had direct contact with these old ones but I have heard the legends. Nasty business dealing with them and their followers.

As to my old gear most of that is long gone, lent to some, given away to others. What little I have left would be of no use to you or is still needed by me to perform my duties. I will however be requesting aide for you in those letters I will be sending out on the morrow.

[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post