D&D In Character Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2014, 06:40 PM
RE: D&D In Character Thread
"I concur", Miruion answered Milfa. "The physical corruption of our ambushers belies psychic corruption. If we have been noticed and disregarded, that becomes our sole advantage so far."

He thought on Groh'L's words. "I do not foresee facing it alone. As such we would indeed be overmatched as slugs to kamuy." Miruion smiled. "There is more balance in the cosmos than that. A powerful agent must have powerful opposition; we must seek to act through the counter-agent. Though we may act, and yet fail; but if so, we will come to the same end as if we had not acted. The rite we interrupted..." he shook his head, eyes closed; a deliberate abjuration. "I cannot welcome such deeds. Come what may I am with you in halting them."

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2014, 06:59 PM
*Groh'L nods appreciatively at Miruion, feeling good that he will not be alone in this fight against evil*

"I can't speak for anyone else, Dexter, but that drawing is a perfect likeness to the beast I saw in MY dream!"

31-05-2014, 07:21 PM
Gwen was late in joining the others. She hadn't slept well - at all - and judging from her companions' conversation as she descended the stairs, they hadn't either.

"I had it, too," she said. The chair scraped against the floor as she pushed it back and took a seat at the table. "The dream. The... nightmare."

Owlister, perched on her shoulder as usual, butted his head against hers, sort of... nuzzling her - but it brought little comfort. Those children... who knew what kind of psychological damage this had done to them? And who else would suffer before it - before this creature - could be stopped, if that were even possible?

"What are we going to do?" she asked, her voice cracking with fear and exhaustion. "What can we possibly do against something like this?"

31-05-2014, 07:35 PM
Dex: Well I have good news and bad news. The bad news is the entity you all saw in your dreams last night was a dark god of insanity. It is called Cthulhu, though from what I have read that is the closest we can get to what it's true name may be. The Mind Flayers worship him or did long ago. It has been aeons since he was an active deity and has been of late just a minor figure in even the Mind Flayers dark religion. Now however it seems he is touching the world again. The Good news is even if he is awakening it will take quite some time before he comes into his full power. Also when one is set against a god one does not take the fight directly to said deity, rather you fight their mortal agents. I have been studying how we may do such and have come up against a wall.

The men we took yesterday have told us much, the bastards laughed that we could do nothing against the coming of their master. It seems this cult is infiltrating everything. Lord Gyrand is going to continue the interrogation and try and get names of local cultists but it seems these fools are from far off and were sent here just to cause trouble. For some reason Lord Goldbrand is being targeted specifically. These rings they were wearing, for instance, are rings of Animagus and allow them to not only take the form of a wolf but to control natural wolves. It was them all along harassing the locals. They claim they were alone and with the spells we had cast they were unable to lie without our knowing it so at least that is one thing.

We will rest today and tomorrow we will head back to Lord Goldbrand and tell him what has happened and see if he knows any way to counter this threat.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
01-06-2014, 01:34 AM
"Those rings of Animagus ... could they be used safely without worrying about coming under this deity's control?"
01-06-2014, 07:20 AM
Isia arrives just in time as Dex is talking about that terrible creature in her dream.

"That... thing! That thing was in my dream last night! You mean we have more of this to deal with? Shit, I didn't sign up for this!"

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
01-06-2014, 07:22 AM
(01-06-2014 01:34 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  "Those rings of Animagus ... could they be used safely without worrying about coming under this deity's control?"

Dex: I am afraid they are tainted beyond recovery. The dark power that was used to fashion them permeates the magic that sustains their effects. Now most laymen think there are only two kinds of magic, divine (granted by one god or another) or arcane, what mages work with. In fact magic has many many sources and the fount you use to craft a spell, or in this case an item, profoundly affects the nature of it. Had these rings been made by a common artificer then it would not matter who used them, acquired evil can be cleansed, but these were made with an evil source and thus are tainted in their very core. I'm sorry this is my focus of study, this and lost knowledge, so I do tend to go on a bit.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
01-06-2014, 07:28 AM
"Would it be possible for a wizard to taint those rings of Animagus so that they could act as some kind of infection if we entered the lair and left them behind to be used?"
01-06-2014, 07:37 AM
(01-06-2014 07:28 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  "Would it be possible for a wizard to taint those rings of Animagus so that they could act as some kind of infection if we entered the lair and left them behind to be used?"

Dex: You'll not find a mage here that will do any but disenchant these evil things. Firstly trying to add an enchantment to an already enchanted item is horribly difficult. Secondly you have to use the same kind of magic that was used in the original enchanting. If I were to try and use one of the founts I know and laid it on this ring (not that I have the skill to even artifice at all this is just theorycraft mind) the two magics would be at war to override the other and would probably just destroy the object, and anything around it. Worst case it would rip a whole in reality and destroy all of existence.

02-06-2014, 08:49 AM
The rest of the day passes by in a blur. Dex returns the items he had been studying to Gyrand and then went to his rooms to sleep. Your provisions are resupplied and the horses you had been using are curried a pack horse is added to carry the feed and any additional items you may want.

The night passes without any occurrences and in the morning you set off. Dex accompanies you saying he wishes to get to the bottom of this incident. You ride along the road in peace until late in the afternoon you come across a small orc warband. They are carrying spears and are lightly armored. Upon seeing the party they begin to set for an attack. Dismounting (as your horses are not battle trained) you prepare to defend yourselves.

9 Orcs are attacking you only 1-3 are reachable by melee as they are using a box formation.

Please give combat actions