Poll: What magical communication artifact do you choose?
This poll is closed.
The Magic Looking Glass 0% 0 0%
The Book of Communication 55.56% 5 55.56%
Lord Ao's Chess Table 33.33% 3 33.33%
Other (please comment below) 11.11% 1 11.11%
Total 9 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

D&D Role-playing sign-up.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-08-2016, 08:18 AM
RE: D&D Role-playing sign-up.
(09-08-2016 09:40 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Started watching some of the Counter Monkeys. He's given me some good ideas.

One that I think I'll start implementing is, should a character fall unconscious (-1 - -10) that will suffer a permanent scar. This could be like if one had their hand smashed with a hammer that put them in that range. They could no longer use that hand, or even if they had magical healing, the PCs hand would not work the way it did prior to the event. Or maybe it would effect their subconscious like if one was gored by a boar they would have a fear of boars from then on.

Past events will not count since I haven't implemented this until now.

Curse you, Spoony!!!!!! Weeping

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
14-08-2016, 08:44 AM
(14-08-2016 08:18 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  
(09-08-2016 09:40 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Started watching some of the Counter Monkeys. He's given me some good ideas.

One that I think I'll start implementing is, should a character fall unconscious (-1 - -10) that will suffer a permanent scar. This could be like if one had their hand smashed with a hammer that put them in that range. They could no longer use that hand, or even if they had magical healing, the PCs hand would not work the way it did prior to the event. Or maybe it would effect their subconscious like if one was gored by a boar they would have a fear of boars from then on.

Past events will not count since I haven't implemented this until now.

Curse you, Spoony!!!!!! Weeping

Dwarf chicks dig scars! Drinking Beverage into the mountains! Tongue

14-08-2016, 08:53 AM
And So it begins.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
14-08-2016, 09:27 AM (This post was last modified: 14-08-2016 10:44 AM by RocketSurgeon76.)
Thanks to everyone for playing; I'm done with D&D for a while.

Edit to Add: You're fools if you keep playing with Sensei as your DM. Some DMs think it's cool or "old school" to try to kill off as many of the PCs as possible. Others don't know how to scale monsters to a level appropriate to the party, but I know that's not the case with Sensei because he's a veteran DM and player, which means he's deliberately trying to kill you. I made sure I left before my character died, so it was clear that it wasn't a result of frustration at the loss of an invented person on a piece of paper.

We have one Cleric (me) with two first-level spells that can heal 1d8+2 damage each. That's a *maximum* of 20 points of healing in a day, and we're taking on creatures that do 30 points of damage in a single round. If you can't do the math on that, just trust me, you're just wasting your time playing with someone who employs his philosophy of gameplay.

No, I don't think it's supposed to be childishly easy for the party, and no, I don't expect monsters to be "dumbed down" in their choices of action unless it's a stupid monster that just attacks whatever's in front of it. But I'm not wasting a chunk of my weekend every week just to watch party members get dropped in a single shot, or taken down to nothing in a single shot.

D&D is an amazing, challenging, and rewarding game. Find a DM who is more interested in your fun experience with the game than in trying to kill your characters as soon as you get attached to them. It's worth it.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
14-08-2016, 04:42 PM
Rocket, You know everyone around here respects you so don't take this as me insulting you, as it is not meant that way. I think you make some fair points but I disagree with your conclusion. I think Sensei has an almost impossible task of balancing around a group that fluxes from session to session hugely. Today for instance we had 6 players 2 level 1's 2 level 2's and 2 lvl 3's and potentially could have had another lvl 1 and lvl 2. Personally I think we got lucky in killing the troll and that was maybe a bit too high level of an enemy given the group we had but I don't think it was the equivalent of dropping a Mature Red Dragon on a lvl 1 group.

I have played with PC Killer DM's and CS does not come across as that, he also is not a Monty Hall style GM who just hands out magic gear and xp for beating up a lone goblin. So far I, and most of the rest of the group, am really enjoying the game but if you are not then I don't have any hard feelings for you leaving. This is meant to be enjoyable and if you are not enjoying it then there is no reason to force yourself. The only criticism I have is I wish you had gone to CS and let him give his side of things first, you are a rather convincing guy and you would have gotten him to explain why he was doing what he was doing and if you still disagreed then maybe you could have convinced him why this is a bad idea. You will be missed at these games, you were very knowledgeable about the game as a whole and were running an interesting character that was far more than just a list of numbers. So while I disagree with you, no hard feelings and if you change you mind I at least would welcome you back.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
14-08-2016, 05:09 PM (This post was last modified: 14-08-2016 05:17 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
It's not about dropping a Mature Red Dragon on a first level party. You're facing monsters that individually match or exceed the party level, every time-- which is why they "one-shot" even our high-CON Dwarf Fighter, the way they do, and take the "lesser" characters unconscious with one attack. That's fine, if all you're going to face in a day is a single large encounter... but you don't. You face action after action after action, and that was twice in a row I saw a creature that was doing the levels of damage I spoke of, with no respite.

My cleric's Cure Light Wounds spells (of which he has three maximum, not two as I previously stated... I forgot about my WIS bonus spell... but I had only one healing spell left anyway) only do 1d8+2 healing each time, a maximum of 10 and an average of 6.5 per spell. That means with all three combined, I can heal 19.5 average damage per day. Against wave after wave of monsters doing that much damage per attack? No. The party will eventually be worn down and destroyed at the end of a couple of days of combat. So while it's not trying to "Total Party Kill" with a massively overpowered monster, it's nevertheless a pointless endeavor. I don't want a Monte Hall DM either, but this party is completely unequipped to take on the things that are being thrown at it, with no way to restore the damage being accumulated in the successive fights.

I didn't discuss it with the DM because I know he is a veteran, which means that I could have excused a single overpowering "boss" fight as a challenge, but when it became two fights in a row, it was clear that this was a pattern. I have been in this type of campaign before, and I'm not repeating the experience.

Yes, it's fun to be challenged. Yes, it's part of the game to have a chance of death... but seriously DO THE MATH on what is happening to you. You're having fun now, but it's going to accumulate. (Especially now that your Cleric has Had Enough™ and left.) The Heal skill doesn't restore hit points except over the course of days, even with Healer's Kits. You have no magic, no potions, and no way of acquiring them any time soon. You'll all be dead in a couple more encounters, barring some ridiculous deus ex machina.

Scaling isn't that hard. If he wanted to send us against that kind of stuff, there are numerous mechanics that could have bolstered my ability to administer healing to the party, numerous ways to limit the encounters to something that is potentially manageable, and/or numerous ways to bolster the party's XP until they are of a level to handle such ongoing encounters and come out alive. That means that your DM is either being malevolent or just doesn't care what happens to you. Either way, you should leave the game and find another, somewhere. I'm sure if you want to play D&D there are lots of noob-friendly forums and/or gaming centers where they can learn the skills. All that's going to happen with this campaign and this approach is to convince the new players that the game is an exercise in frustration (and rolling up new first-level characters who can't really help the party much, I suppose).

Seriously... two monsters that can one-shot the party's Dwarf Fighter? Congratulations on using a tactic that beat it. Now what're you going to do? And the next time. And the next.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
14-08-2016, 05:54 PM
I wish I a) knew enough to really understand more than just the gist of what's being said and b) could have actually played today.

I'm sorry that you're unhappy about possibly overpowered monsters? Or maybe the bad guys being too high level for the group? Did everyone die today? If not...do we not all start back with all our health again next week?

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
14-08-2016, 05:59 PM
(14-08-2016 05:54 PM)Losty Wrote:  I wish I a) knew enough to really understand more than just the gist of what's being said and b) could have actually played today.

I'm sorry that you're unhappy about possibly overpowered monsters? Or maybe the bad guys being too high level for the group? Did everyone die today? If not...do we not all start back with all our health again next week?

No one died today.

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
14-08-2016, 06:09 PM
Well I supposed the that I have no idea what's going on so I'll just sit back and smile and nod.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
14-08-2016, 06:23 PM
Rocket didn't agree with the way the game was being ran so he decided to quit, is really the main thing that happened today.