Poll: What magical communication artifact do you choose?
This poll is closed.
The Magic Looking Glass 0% 0 0%
The Book of Communication 55.56% 5 55.56%
Lord Ao's Chess Table 33.33% 3 33.33%
Other (please comment below) 11.11% 1 11.11%
Total 9 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

D&D Role-playing sign-up.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-08-2016, 06:59 PM (This post was last modified: 14-08-2016 07:02 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
RE: D&D Role-playing sign-up.
Is no one reading what I'm writing? It's simple math.

No one died today, which was my whole point. But how many HP do you have left? How many will you after the next fight? Healing kits don't restore hit points, only magical potions or spells do, and we have a *VERY* limited supply of either.

I know our Fighter can't possibly have recovered after the last fight, when he was taken down prior to my small healing to get him back on his feet, and won't be any better off after this fight, even if my Cleric was there to patch him up with my one remaining spell for an average of 6.5 hit points.

In following encounters, at this level, the party will continue to be weaker and weaker. You're an average level of 2. You're facing monsters in repeated encounters at a much higher difficulty level than is warranted for a 2nd-level party.

So you won *this* fight. Great. I didn't think we couldn't win the fight. I had my own longbow out for the same reason as the rest of you. But your DM is scaling the encounters beyond what the party can sustain. If it was his first time to DM, I could excuse that. I know what comes next, though.

If you'd prefer to think that a player who has literally played this game for 25 years is just making this up in order to complain, fine.

But I'm telling you: do the math. That's usually the DM's job, but I invite you to do it. If I used my clerical spells only for healing and not their intended purpose (regular spells can be "converted" to healing spells), and cast all three of them every day, I can do 19.5 average points of healing. Sum up the damage that was taken in the last encounters-- I couldn't even get the fighter back up to full HP from the last encounter I was in, two weeks ago. In fact, because he was negative, I barely healed enough to get him standing up.

I wrote it off as a "boss fight", after which we'd find some healing potions in a chest, or something, enough to sustain the group, but I guess that would be "Monty Hall" (a former game-show host on "Let's Make a Deal", used to refer to DMs who give away too much stuff to players at too low of a level) in this case.

I'm sorry that you guys don't know enough yet to realize what is happening here. So I'm trying to tell you. If you want to write it off as petulance, fine. Enjoy watching your characters being slowly ground down until you're knocked over by a single kobold. If that's fun to you, awesome. Have at it.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-08-2016, 07:08 PM
O_O

I never said that it was petulance at all. I literally just said I have no idea what's going on. That's all. Yeesh. I'll go back to my corner now.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
14-08-2016, 07:52 PM
I know, Losty. It wasn't directed at you.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
14-08-2016, 08:31 PM (This post was last modified: 15-08-2016 10:08 AM by Commonsensei.)
I'm pm'ed Rocket in private as I don't wish to make this a thing. I have said I will start applying some of his points to the game.

For starts I will try to bridge the level gap. I've been using an online 3.5 XP Calculator for point distribution to accommodate for the larger group. For the time being I will simply pull the points from the DMG for solid point distribution. Until levels are at a acceptable level.

Level 1 - 3's
1,800 xp Troll
1,800 xp Manticore

3,600 xp Total

Normally players could not level up more then once but for example if you need 1,000 points for level 2, and 2,000 points for level 3 and you get 3,000 xp You would only get 1,999 xp. I will remove that for the time being. Until everyone reaches level 5. Which should be quick now that the group level adjustment has been removed.

If anyone else has any points or question that they would like to address to me. I'm willing to listen to anyones suggestions.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 3 users Like Commonsensei's post
14-08-2016, 09:46 PM
Just to clarify, that puts me at level 4 right? Awesome

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
15-08-2016, 06:17 PM
So the weapon focus, and the weapon specialization, says I list what weapon I want it to classify. The example it gives in the handbook is "greataxe". But it's not completely clear if that means I'd get a +1/+2 bonus to ALL greataxes, or the one I like most.

I'm asking cuz I'd like the +1 to apply to both my Dwarven Waraxe, and my magically enchanted war axe. Boomeraxe is it's name, btw. Blush

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
16-08-2016, 02:28 AM
(15-08-2016 06:17 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  So the weapon focus, and the weapon specialization, says I list what weapon I want it to classify. The example it gives in the handbook is "greataxe". But it's not completely clear if that means I'd get a +1/+2 bonus to ALL greataxes, or the one I like most.

I'm asking cuz I'd like the +1 to apply to both my Dwarven Waraxe, and my magically enchanted war axe. Boomeraxe is it's name, btw. Blush

Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization apply to any weapon of that type (such as greataxe, longsword, shortsword, or in this case a Dwarven Waraxe, which is not the same as a battleaxe or greataxe), not just a specific weapon.

"Boomeraxe" is a great name. Smile

[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
16-08-2016, 09:50 AM
Rocket and I have been able to resolve the issues.

He's a sensible man, as I come to expect.

I already told him we would. But he wanted clarification that they rest of the group would want him back to play.

My feeling is there would always be an open chair at our imaginary table for him. One that would never be filled. And I for one would like him to return.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
16-08-2016, 10:29 AM
He best come back.

We needs us a support to Varguk

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post
17-08-2016, 02:56 PM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2016 01:00 PM by Commonsensei.)
Day 6
(continued)

The heroes ran a considerable distance away for the angry troll. Using all their range attacks they could muster down upon the charging creature. This only infuriated the beast. The troll lurched down and with it's long taloned fingers used its brut strength to lift a near by boulder. It hurdled it towards the center of the group knocking Lathron from his horse and clipping Vargruk.

Aina'naur jumped from his horse and plundged his sword into the ground. He knealed to pray "Great Lathander, this fight is unfairly matched. Take my life if you so see fit, so the rest may live."

The rest of the party called to their compain for assistance but he was to long gone in a deep in prayer.

The fight pressed on and they did what they could to defend their devout friend. They road further from the ferocious troll. Another barrage of arrows magic missiles and bullets were flung at the snarling beast.

The Professor steadied his steed. Envocating the words "Ardentes In Manibus"and a cone shaped burst of searing flame shot from his fingertips and enveloped the Troll burning it alive. It screamed as its last breath escaped from it's chard corpse.

Once they felt sure that the troll had been vanquished they looked around the area for the Ranger that had lead them to the location of their encounter. But it became clear he had long gone. Using the Troll as a diversion for his get away.

Upset but not defeated. They returned to camp, to regain their strength and supplies for the following day.

[Image: 20051013203706_campfire.jpeg]

The group had a disscion around the camp fire that night. Some of the group felt that they should back track. Heading back the were wolves tower or even the ambush sight and see if they could pick up the trail. "[i]The Half Orc ranger when asked said he didn't see any captives in the party." Thom said Gianna shook her head "That doesn't mean their not at the Citadel I just means he didn't see them." Professor Byran "We could be just wasting out time, I'm not purticualer thrilled about walking into a Orc temple that has been said to be surrounded by thousand of orc tribes."

The recapped the information that they had gathered the last few days. They recalled that a treasure map was found that directed to the northern part of Thar, Kara Cauldra a young elf wizard had talked with her father about seeking out a abandoned temple that may have held ancient magical artifacts. Orc raids have become more frequent lately in the farm regons of Thar. And all the tracks they have found have lead north.

The evidence at that point seemed clear. They head north. To Xûl-Jarak.

Aina'naur during this discussion was quiet. And had stepped away from the group. Contemplating; Had his god betrayed him? It felt to him as if Lathander who normally would have been his guiding light had put events before him that were impossible to conquer. No task in all his years had felt so stack against him. Perhaps Lathander was testing him? Or perhaps Lathander was not as omniscient has he had assumed. He would have to meditate upon this revelation.

[Image: latest?cb=20070211181740]