Poll: What magical communication artifact do you choose?
This poll is closed.
The Magic Looking Glass 0% 0 0%
The Book of Communication 55.56% 5 55.56%
Lord Ao's Chess Table 33.33% 3 33.33%
Other (please comment below) 11.11% 1 11.11%
Total 9 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

D&D Role-playing sign-up.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2016, 05:02 PM
RE: D&D Role-playing sign-up.
(05-06-2016 04:50 PM)Losty Wrote:  Wait...can I play? Can I use my same person from last time?? Can I? Hmmm??

NO! Rolleyes Of course, you can play! Tongue
Hug
You might have to re-roll all your stats for CS's new game, but if you want the same character, with the same name, then go for it. Big Grin

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
05-06-2016, 05:12 PM
So we're... 6 people already? And if EA decides to join too, that would be 7. Didn't cjlr say he'd play too?

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
05-06-2016, 05:44 PM
(05-06-2016 05:12 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  So we're... 6 people already? And if EA decides to join too, that would be 7. Didn't cjlr say he'd play too?

You, me, Revs, FT, & Rocket are the sure-ins, right? That's 5.
6 with Losty. 7 with EA. 8 with cjlr.
Am I missing anyone?

05-06-2016, 05:49 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2016 05:52 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
(05-06-2016 04:27 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I don't really like bards though Blush

I know there's no pressure but I just always wanted to try something new, but new is hard and risky (though I could always kill them off, no? Tongue )

I guess I'll wait for the others too and see then.

I'm with you about Bards. Bleh!

Most people think playing "a Rogue" means the old 2.0-style Thief archetype. However, there's no such thing as "a Rogue" (in the same sense that there's not really such thing as "an atheist", except as a general descriptor) ... in terms of style of play and character archetype, it's pretty much the most versatile class, especially in 3.5, and most especially if combined with another class. Even two straight thief Rogues can have totally different personalities, motivations, and approaches to roguery... one can be a spy-type who uses Bluff and Diplomacy (and other Charisma-related skills) to learn info that helps the party and/or get them out of situations, another can be a sneaky scout, and another can be a gatherer of ancient lore, such as found in many dungeons and ancient ruins. And so many more!

There's also multiclassing. If battle tactics are your thing, a Fighter/Rogue allows you to be a sneaky-style (Dexterity-based) fighter that moves around the battlefield taking advantage of Sneak Attacks (even ranged ones, in certain situations) and Attacks of Opportunity, while a Wizard/Rogue allows you to take advantage of a high INT score (which gives the Rogue a LOT of extra Skills, since you get 8 + INT bonus per level) to become a more effective battlefield manipulator (Edit to Add: spells also allow you to be sneakier, if you're still out to go that route... not only spells like Invisibility, but also ones like Knock, which let you open most doors, even if the Open Locks skill fails).

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
05-06-2016, 05:54 PM
On the other hand, my favorite D&D personality of all time is Deekin Scalesinger, the Kobold Bard from the Neverwinter Nights game series.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
06-06-2016, 08:34 PM
I'll play 'cause I'll be a whiny butt if I don't. Tongue

[+] 2 users Like Escape Artist's post
06-06-2016, 08:47 PM
Can I play? I wanna play! Blush

I only played with one group of people before over this past semester, so I'm still kind of a n00b. But I like playing!

But also my internet connection is kinda shitty and probably wouldn't handle big Skype calls... :/

My character from the other campaign I played is a gnome rogue :3

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
06-06-2016, 11:48 PM
Colour - For a n00b, I'd recommend taking a relatively straightforward class, like a strong, heavily-armored Fighter, which we like to call "the meat shield". It's a crucial component of any adventuring party, and is a good way to introduce yourself to basic concepts of the way the game is played. If you make him/her pretty stupid (low Intelligence score), it can be very fun to role-play, too: "Mmm, 'kay. Zog smash door now!" hehe

Actually, you would all do well to read the famous analysis of the needs of an adventuring party by "Logic Ninja" (it's actually about how to build a battlefield-manipulator Wizard, which he refers to as "Batman", but it explains all the other roles as well, and I found it greatly helpful). It will give you a good idea of the crucial roles and supporting roles that make up a successful party, and why poorly-balanced parties can and will fail.

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2716.0

07-06-2016, 09:26 AM
(04-06-2016 06:19 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Would a LN Half Orc Monk be acceptable?

Yes.

(05-06-2016 07:21 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Is group video calling on Skype free? Why do I have a feeling it's not? Consider

Stupid question ahead. Can someone explain to me how a Forgotten Realms game is different that a standard one? I may have been playing that one in the past but it's been years so I wouldn't remember it.

What alignments will you allow?

Skype is free.

Forgotten realms is just the setting. The type of creatures/people/magic you'll run into.

Any alignment is allowed. As long as you can play it. I wouldn't want to see some one that's Chaotic Evil helping any orphans across the street unless it was to push them into a lake of fire.

Bards.

Yeah they make suck when if comes to attacking but when you get the +3 to your attack I never hear anyone complaining.

A friend of mine has played a bard on two seprate occasions. He plays a Ukulele in RL. On the first occasion he was a CN female bard. That would use her charisma to seduce people to get things for free. On one occasion she got a carriage and 4 horses for a one night stand with a drunken bar owner.

My point being everyone disses the Bard until they come threw. It depends on how the player portrays him/her.

(05-06-2016 03:10 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I'm willing to try something new so, if you guys know what you're going with, I can make up something to complete the party.

Arcane Trickster.

You get to work with illusions and be sneaky at it.

OH I almost for got Rule #5

5. Should a character die. (unless the party can find a True Resurrection spell.) That character is dead and can not come back into play. The punishment for dieing would be if you choose to continue to play is rerolling a new level 1 character. No matter what the rest of the party may be at. Should the entire party die. The game is over.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
07-06-2016, 09:34 AM
As it stands right now we have 8.

Revenant77X - LN Half Orc Monk
Undergroundp - TBD
RocketSurgeon76 - Dwarf Cleric
Escape Artist - TBD
TheGulegon - __ Dwarf Warrior
Free Thought - __ Human Ranger
Losty - TBD
Colourcraze - __ Gnome Rogue

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin