Poll: What magical communication artifact do you choose?
This poll is closed.
The Magic Looking Glass 0% 0 0%
The Book of Communication 55.56% 5 55.56%
Lord Ao's Chess Table 33.33% 3 33.33%
Other (please comment below) 11.11% 1 11.11%
Total 9 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

D&D Role-playing sign-up.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2016, 10:16 AM
RE: D&D Role-playing sign-up.
Commonsensei - I'm still not sure about the Dwarf; it depended on the needs of the party, and whether or not we needed a Cleric to be more combatant than healer.

As it stands now, I'm actually looking at a human (NG) or elven (CG) Cleric of Lathander at the moment. I think I'm going to follow the direct line to the Prestige Class called the "Radiant Servant of Pelor", starting at Level 7, assuming we get that far and you'll let me modify the prestige class from Greyhawk to the FR setting (Pelor to Lathander).

http://dndtools.pw/classes/radiant-servant-of-pelor/

If not, I'm going to work toward the Morninglord of Lathander PC, which would start at 6th level, and will structure accordingly.

http://dndtools.pw/classes/morninglord-of-lathander/

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
07-06-2016, 10:32 AM
(07-06-2016 09:34 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  As it stands right now we have 8.

Revenant77X - LN Half Orc Monk
Undergroundp - TBD
RocketSurgeon76 - Dwarf Cleric
Escape Artist - TBD
TheGulegon - __ Dwarf Warrior
Free Thought - __ Human Ranger
Losty - TBD
Colourcraze - __ Gnome Rogue

EA is more or less set on a Halfling Rogue Treasure Hunter and if UGP goes rogue as well we have a glut of melee and only 1 caster (Losty is probably going with a Human Sorcerer).

So I am going to refrain from playing the Monk (he looks like fun ) and instead go with a Human Wild Mage Academic. Adjunct professor to Baldur's Gate Community College of Wizards, he studies Wild Magic and prefers field work to grading the 1st years alchemy homework. His main motivation is to research enough Wild Magic occurrences to get published in a few of the more prestigious Mage Journals and attain Tenure.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
07-06-2016, 11:06 AM
Smart thinking, Rev. That's the same reasoning that led to me shifting my Cleric to more of a caster-type than combatant-type.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
07-06-2016, 11:45 AM
(07-06-2016 10:32 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(07-06-2016 09:34 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  As it stands right now we have 8.

Revenant77X - LN Half Orc Monk
Undergroundp - TBD
RocketSurgeon76 - Dwarf Cleric
Escape Artist - TBD
TheGulegon - __ Dwarf Warrior
Free Thought - __ Human Ranger
Losty - TBD
Colourcraze - __ Gnome Rogue

EA is more or less set on a Halfling Rogue Treasure Hunter and if UGP goes rogue as well we have a glut of melee and only 1 caster (Losty is probably going with a Human Sorcerer).

So I am going to refrain from playing the Monk (he looks like fun ) and instead go with a Human Wild Mage Academic. Adjunct professor to Baldur's Gate Community College of Wizards, he studies Wild Magic and prefers field work to grading the 1st years alchemy homework. His main motivation is to research enough Wild Magic occurrences to get published in a few of the more prestigious Mage Journals and attain Tenure.

I think two rogues are enough Tongue Depends of course on the type of rogue CC is going for.

But in any case, I was leaning towards something fighter-like anyway. Perhaps a CG vigilante? Is there even a class like that? Probably a human, or maybe an elf.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
07-06-2016, 11:49 AM
Besides, 3.5 Monks suck! Even with all their extra attacks and abilities, they almost always have worse AC than any other combat class and put out less damage per round. I saw a guy demonstrate, once, that if you just take the Feats to equip a monk with heavy armor and a greatsword, he is a better combatant than a regular Monk who put his Feats into Monk-type abilities. They might be fun to RP, sometimes, but they're a drag on a party. Undecided

So here's what we're looking at, now:

Revenant77X - Human Wizard
Undergroundp - [Multiclass Rogue?]
RocketSurgeon76 - High Elf Cleric
Escape Artist - Halfling Rogue
TheGulegon - Dwarf Warrior [Or Fighter? Warrior is an NPC class, from the DMG, and inferior in my opinion]
Free Thought - Human Ranger
Losty - Human Sorceror
Colourcraze - Gnome Rogue

I'd say we're more than a bit Rogue-heavy, and still in need of some tanks/meatshields. Perhaps one of our Rogue players would consider switching to a Paladin or some sort of dual-class Fighter? (I'd say "or Barbarian", but that class can't absorb damage as well as a well-armored class, and unless raging does a lot less damage than the other combat classes.)

If still set on playing a sneaky Rogue, it's possible under 3.5 to multiclass as a Ranger/Rogue, both of which get Hide and Move Silently stealth skills that stack, and might make for an excellent "reconnaissance in force" scout, but I'm still worried about a lack of a "shield wall" among our group. If we can't physically block a corridor against, say, a rush of orcs, then I don't think our Rogues will be able to do much to stop a TPK (total party kill). Commonsensei is no dummy, and would roleplay any non-random-encounter enemies intelligently. If we can't cover the tactical needs of the type of combat that will be sent against an 8-person party, we're fucked.

07-06-2016, 12:11 PM
(07-06-2016 11:49 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Besides, 3.5 Monks suck! Even with all their extra attacks and abilities, they almost always have worse AC than any other combat class and put out less damage per round. I saw a guy demonstrate, once, that if you just take the Feats to equip a monk with heavy armor and a greatsword, he is a better combatant than a regular Monk who put his Feats into Monk-type abilities. They might be fun to RP, sometimes, but they're a drag on a party. Undecided

So here's what we're looking at, now:

Revenant77X - Human Wizard
Undergroundp - [Multiclass Rogue?]
RocketSurgeon76 - High Elf Cleric
Escape Artist - Halfling Rogue
TheGulegon - Dwarf Warrior [Or Fighter? Warrior is an NPC class, from the DMG, and inferior in my opinion]
Free Thought - Human Ranger
Losty - Human Sorceror
Colourcraze - Gnome Rogue

I'd say we're more than a bit Rogue-heavy, and still in need of some tanks/meatshields. Perhaps one of our Rogue players would consider switching to a Paladin or some sort of dual-class Fighter? (I'd say "or Barbarian", but that class can't absorb damage as well as a well-armored class, and unless raging does a lot less damage than the other combat classes.)

If still set on playing a sneaky Rogue, it's possible under 3.5 to multiclass as a Ranger/Rogue, both of which get Hide and Move Silently stealth skills that stack, and might make for an excellent "reconnaissance in force" scout, but I'm still worried about a lack of a "shield wall" among our group. If we can't physically block a corridor against, say, a rush of orcs, then I don't think our Rogues will be able to do much to stop a TPK (total party kill). Commonsensei is no dummy, and would roleplay any non-random-encounter enemies intelligently. If we can't cover the tactical needs of the type of combat that will be sent against an 8-person party, we're fucked.

Yeah 3.5 was the low point for Monks, they were a bit insanely op before then so they got nerfed a bit too much. Later editions were better balanced.

As for our Rogues EA is going for a Treasure Hunter build meaning she is going to be mostly about popping locks finding traps and secret doors and not really into pickpocketing or thievery. If CC wants to do a more traditional build then we have our skill monkeys covered. Guley is gonna be our meat shield and if UGP takes a fighter class she could maybe off tank some. The hard part is in combat we are going to be split into 2 groups with no real cross over. Matt Losty EA (she wants to be a ranged based rogue prob crossbow) and I will all be back at range lobbing over the rest of the party. On the plus side with that much ranged we should be able to deal with ranged foes (flyers and the like) relatively easily.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
07-06-2016, 12:12 PM
(07-06-2016 11:49 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I'd say we're more than a bit Rogue-heavy, and still in need of some tanks/meatshields. Perhaps one of our Rogue players would consider switching to a Paladin or some sort of dual-class Fighter? (I'd say "or Barbarian", but that class can't absorb damage as well as a well-armored class, and unless raging does a lot less damage than the other combat classes.)

I was considering paladins too, but I doubt I could roleplay that. I wasn't thinking of a sneaky, assassin-type vigilante, but rather someone killing for justice and good. I don't need spells or anything, I don't need to be sneaky, I wanna be first in line, I wanna cut heads in two.

-Guybrush Threepwood-
07-06-2016, 12:40 PM
(07-06-2016 12:12 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I was considering paladins too, but I doubt I could roleplay that. I wasn't thinking of a sneaky, assassin-type vigilante, but rather someone killing for justice and good. I don't need spells or anything, I don't need to be sneaky, I wanna be first in line, I wanna cut heads in two.

You just became significantly more attractive to every guy in this group, I hope you know! Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
07-06-2016, 12:41 PM
(07-06-2016 12:40 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(07-06-2016 12:12 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I was considering paladins too, but I doubt I could roleplay that. I wasn't thinking of a sneaky, assassin-type vigilante, but rather someone killing for justice and good. I don't need spells or anything, I don't need to be sneaky, I wanna be first in line, I wanna cut heads in two.

You just became significantly more attractive to every guy in this group, I hope you know! Big Grin

Haha Blush

-Guybrush Threepwood-
07-06-2016, 01:03 PM
[Image: 298bb77151f3ace5849fd0ef007bd3b8.jpg]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 4 users Like Commonsensei's post