Poll: What magical communication artifact do you choose?
This poll is closed.
The Magic Looking Glass 0% 0 0%
The Book of Communication 55.56% 5 55.56%
Lord Ao's Chess Table 33.33% 3 33.33%
Other (please comment below) 11.11% 1 11.11%
Total 9 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

D&D Role-playing sign-up.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-06-2016, 11:29 AM
RE: D&D Role-playing sign-up.
(09-06-2016 11:10 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I went with "standard bell curve" stats, to save the trouble of worrying about who rolled what. Simply take an 18, 16, 14, 14, 12, and a 10, and assign them to whatever stat fits the character, then modify for racial bonuses, if any.

My Cleric wound up with:

STR 16 (+3)
DEX 12 (+1) (Assigned the 10 here, High Elf made it +2)
CON 10 (+0) (Assigned the 12 here, High Elf made it -2)
INT 14 (+2)
WIS 18 (+4)
CHA 14 (+2)

I got

STR 12 (+1)
DEX 17 (+3)
CON 17 (+3)
INT 18 (+4)
WIS 14 (+2)
CHA 15 (+2)

Slightly above the bell curve but not by enough to really break things, just not sure where to get the rest of the numbers or how many skills I get per level etc.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2016, 11:49 AM
I would like to do some sort of standardized stats setup, then, to ensure every PC starts on the same level ground.

For instance, your PC has a stat total of 93, while mine is 84. It's a pretty significant difference. I'd settle for Commonsensei rolling for each of us, or assigning a set of stats that total (say, 93) the same amount for each of us.

It also helps a DM scale encounters appropriately, if all PCs have the same total stat count, in my experience.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
09-06-2016, 11:53 AM
(09-06-2016 11:29 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(09-06-2016 11:10 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I went with "standard bell curve" stats, to save the trouble of worrying about who rolled what. Simply take an 18, 16, 14, 14, 12, and a 10, and assign them to whatever stat fits the character, then modify for racial bonuses, if any.

My Cleric wound up with:

STR 16 (+3)
DEX 12 (+1) (Assigned the 10 here, High Elf made it +2)
CON 10 (+0) (Assigned the 12 here, High Elf made it -2)
INT 14 (+2)
WIS 18 (+4)
CHA 14 (+2)

I got

STR 12 (+1)
DEX 17 (+3)
CON 17 (+3)
INT 18 (+4)
WIS 14 (+2)
CHA 15 (+2)

Slightly above the bell curve but not by enough to really break things, just not sure where to get the rest of the numbers or how many skills I get per level etc.

Is your Cleric a human? They get slightly more skill points then the rest of the races. If you a different race then you states maybe different as well.

I'll help you with distribution if need be.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
09-06-2016, 11:54 AM
(09-06-2016 11:49 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I would like to do some sort of standardized stats setup, then, to ensure every PC starts on the same level ground.

For instance, your PC has a stat total of 93, while mine is 84. It's a pretty significant difference. I'd settle for Commonsensei rolling for each of us, or assigning a set of stats that total (say, 93) the same amount for each of us.

It also helps a DM scale encounters appropriately, if all PCs have the same total stat count, in my experience.

However CS wants to roll with it is fine with me but what Free Thought was told was we were doing the 4d6 drop lowest so that is what I did. Having everyone have the same base stats arranged as we want is fine with me (and how I ran the last game)

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
09-06-2016, 11:58 AM
(09-06-2016 11:53 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  
(09-06-2016 11:29 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I got

STR 12 (+1)
DEX 17 (+3)
CON 17 (+3)
INT 18 (+4)
WIS 14 (+2)
CHA 15 (+2)

Is your Cleric a human? They get slightly more skill points then the rest of the races. If you a different race then you states maybe different as well.

I'll help you with distribution if need be.

Yeah I am a Human I got 24 skill to start 6 of which have to go into Knowledge Arcana (class requirement) I also was Knowledge History x6, Spell casting x6, Swimming (because there is always water), Ridding (always take that) Use Magical Device, and Appraise (1 rank in each)

09-06-2016, 12:17 PM
(09-06-2016 11:58 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Yeah I am a Human I got 24 skill to start 6 of which have to go into Knowledge Arcana (class requirement) I also was Knowledge History x6, Spell casting x6, Swimming (because there is always water), Ridding (always take that) Use Magical Device, and Appraise (1 rank in each)

Remember that you can only have base rank of Level + 3 in any skill that is a Class skill, and half that (rounded down) in non-Class skills. So a Level 1 PC could have a maximum of 4 ranks in any skill.

(ETA: Your total skill adds in other bonuses, such as stat bonuses... so for instance if you had 4 ranks in Knowledge, an INT-based skill, your 18 intelligence adds another +4, so you'd roll with a base of 8 plus whatever you get on the d20 roll against the Skill Check DC to determine success or failure.)

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
09-06-2016, 12:21 PM
Yeah what Rocket said.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
09-06-2016, 12:23 PM
(09-06-2016 12:17 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(09-06-2016 11:58 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Yeah I am a Human I got 24 skill to start 6 of which have to go into Knowledge Arcana (class requirement) I also was Knowledge History x6, Spell casting x6, Swimming (because there is always water), Ridding (always take that) Use Magical Device, and Appraise (1 rank in each)

Remember that you can only have base rank of Level + 3 in any skill that is a Class skill, and half that (rounded down) in non-Class skills. So a Level 1 PC could have a maximum of 4 ranks in any skill.

(ETA: Your total skill adds in other bonuses, such as stat bonuses... so for instance if you had 4 ranks in Knowledge, an INT-based skill, your 18 intelligence adds another +4, so you'd roll with a base of 8 plus whatever you get on the d20 roll against the Skill Check DC to determine success or failure.)

Ok missed that so I will go X4 in the 3 I said X6 and see what else I can do, maybe take a couple extra languages. The ones 1 wanted single points in (other than magical device) are non-class skills so I can only get 1 point in them this level if I am reading it right.

09-06-2016, 12:33 PM
You pay 2 points per rank in a non-Class skill, and it can only total half the maximum available to Class skills.

So it would be 2 max ranks in non-Class skills (half of 4), for a L1 PC. At Level 2, you could have max ranks of 5 in class skills, but still only 2 in non-Class skills (half of 5 is 2.5, rounded down). At Level 3, you can have 6 ranks and 3 ranks, respectively. And so on.

09-06-2016, 12:37 PM
(09-06-2016 12:33 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  You pay 2 points per rank in a non-Class skill, and it can only total half the maximum available to Class skills.

So it would be 2 max ranks in non-Class skills (half of 4), for a L1 PC. At Level 2, you could have max ranks of 5 in class skills, but still only 2 in non-Class skills (half of 5 is 2.5, rounded down). At Level 3, you can have 6 ranks and 3 ranks, respectively. And so on.

Ok then I can got X4 on the X6's and X2 on the X1s and it works out.

[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post