Poll: What magical communication artifact do you choose?
This poll is closed.
The Magic Looking Glass 0% 0 0%
The Book of Communication 55.56% 5 55.56%
Lord Ao's Chess Table 33.33% 3 33.33%
Other (please comment below) 11.11% 1 11.11%
Total 9 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

D&D Role-playing sign-up.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-06-2016, 12:54 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2016 01:04 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
RE: D&D Role-playing sign-up.
Here's how my PC turned out, in the end (my Skills list includes bonuses, for brevity), using my base "bell curve" figures. I will of course modify the numbers as soon as we get stats from Commonsensei. Frankly, I'm all in favor of just assigning the same numbers Rev got (the 93 total) and letting us place them in the appropriate stats. One set of rolls for all! Smile

Since I still wasn't sure what part of the Realms we'll be operating in, I created a background that tried to explain why a first level priest was on the road to [whatever (tavern?) place we happen to form the party].

Aina'naur [EYE-nah-nor] (Elven for “Holy Fire”), Cleric of Lathander (Lvl. 1) Domains: Sun & Protection
Player: RocketSurgeon76

Male High Elf of Silverymoon, Age 100, Chaotic Good, 5'8”/175#, Blonde/Golden

STR 16, DEX 12, CON 10, INT 14, WIS 18, CHA 14

Base Attack Bonus: 0 / Total Attack Bonus: 4
Armor Class: 17
Saves: Foritude: 2 / Reflex: 1 / Will: 6
HP=8

Background:

It may seem difficult to imagine a High Elf who is considered outcast by his family for loving the sun, but when you are raised by a family of priests and priestesses of Selûne, the moon goddess, it can cause quite a stir in the wrong social circles when the growing boy spends the his life waiting for the starlit night to end so he can see the first light of the rising dawn. The boy was born with golden irises, and shining yellow hair, and was named Aina'naur, for the “holy fire” burning in his eyes. From the earliest age, the child loved the feeling of the warm energy striking his face, seeing and hearing the raucous animals and plants and insects that rose with the sun. He would find ways to sneak out before the dawn to see the orb rise above the forest, from a hilltop perch in a nearby garden where he could see out to the horizon. As he began to grow, the young elf asked difficult questions of everyone with a strange intensity, painted on the walls, and dove headlong into every task. He was often chastised by his parents for disrupting the sacred services beneath the moon.

The members of the Temple of Lathander in town, however, were quick to encourage the love of the power of sunlight, and encouraged him to frolic in the outdoors, to revel in creativity with his bright and ever-unsatisfied mind, to always learn and observe. While they never contained (nor wished to contain) his wild heart and passionate intensity, they taught him to direct his energies, to paint on canvas instead of where it is unwelcome, and to become a fount of creative and healing energy that could be shared by everyone around him. To the young sun worshiper, the world was bright and chaotic and beautiful, and worth exploring and sharing with all the expressions of word and art that the elven heart could produce.

To the stoic family of moon-goddess worshipers, however, his exuberance and intensity were unnerving, and he was never quite treated as a “true” member of the family. He did not hate them, for he reveled in his growing connection to Lathander, and by the age of majority, he had been deemed ready to set out and learn from seeing things in all the lands under the sun. He had been raised on tales from the Morninglords that spoke of the great evils of undead creatures, and he wished to seek to end their blight upon the natural world. He learned combat with the heavy mace, that he might swiftly return the restless to their rest. He learned command of spells of light and healing, seeing to command the power of his god in his quest against the unholy blight and those who would raise them. He longed to become a Celestial being in the war against the Infernals and their minions. He continued to attend the temple of Lathander's teachers and services until he reached the first century of his life.

By this time, his mother had become a High Priestess seat at the Temple of Selûne and an adviser to the powers-that-be in the city, and his father was away on a priestly quest far in the cold north, so no one from his family even said goodbye to him. He had only the kind words of his brethren and the High Priest who outfitted him with his bright copper-colored scale, his white, yellow, and orange surcoat vestments, and his mace spiked like the rays of the sun... to match the rays and orb painted on the boss and face of his mighty shield. Thus clad, with a last wave to the Abbey where he had learned his morning prayers and learned to shine the light of Lathander, Aina walked off into the sunset, bedroll and pack on his back and the three gold and a single silver piece that were all the money he posessed jingling softly together in the pouch at his belt. The spirit of Lathander was to be shared and learned by experiencing the world, bringing light to the darkness, and making a positive impact in that world to show the Light of Lathander to all.

Skills: Concentration (4), Heal (8), Kn.Religion (6), Listen (6), Search (4), Spellcraft (6), Spot (6), Immune to sleep.

Languages: Common, Celestial, Elven, Infernal

Feats: Weapon Focus – Heavy Mace [Next @ 3 = Extra Turning]

Equipment: Dagger, Mace (Heavy), Scale Mail, Large Steel Shield, Backpack, Bedroll, Blanket, Candle (10), Chalk (10), Flint/Steel, Ink, Inkpen, Ink Vial, Mirror, Parchment (5), Belt Pouch, Rations (5), Signet Ring, Soap, Waterskin, Whetstone, Silver Holy Symbol, Spell Component Pouch, Cleric's Vestments

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2016, 02:18 PM
May I ask why most people chose to play here in the forum? I'm not a big fan of Skype interactions myself, but I think we'd lose most of the fun of D&D in forum posts, especially with so many people joining.

Is there any way we could at least play chatroom-style? I think conversation among so many people will be almost impossible in the forum.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
09-06-2016, 02:46 PM
(09-06-2016 02:18 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  May I ask why most people chose to play here in the forum? I'm not a big fan of Skype interactions myself, but I think we'd lose most of the fun of D&D in forum posts, especially with so many people joining.

Is there any way we could at least play chatroom-style? I think conversation among so many people will be almost impossible in the forum.

Well the Roll 20 was the best option for playing a live game (since that is what we are doing) but I think some people that voted for the forum thought it was going to be run like the last game.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
09-06-2016, 02:49 PM
Open to suggestions. That's why I put other as an option.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
09-06-2016, 02:53 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2016 03:03 PM by TheGulegon.)
I want Role20.

Though I'd like to keep it in text form [chatroom style perhaps like UnderP said], but it ain't a big deal.

When I voted for the forum option, I didn't realize Role20's benefits.

09-06-2016, 02:58 PM
(08-06-2016 08:21 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  When you have your character's complete.

You may post the character's
Name
Race
Class

It's optional to give their

Alignment
Backstory

However if you choose not to give the last two to the group. You will need to give them to me. I will add key points of those backstories to the adventure. Or another option is you can give a backstory or alignment that you want to project. But I will need the TRUE story and alignment.

If i'm given enough time. I will draw custom character profile pictures for each of you.

Name) Vargruk, son of Lairdbruk, of clan Forgefingers.
Race) Dwarf from Besilmer (can pick another Dwarven city if this one is a bad choice)
Class) Fighter

Align.) Lawful Neutral (unless you think another suits this character better)
BackS) Vargruk finds his father's smith work to be boring, and his fingers too fat to intricately cut gems as his mother does. A small fire in his fathers forge sent him to be apprenticed by his mother instead. After shattering an expensive gem, given over to her by a wealthy patron, he decided to try & join the Hammerhand clan to aid in defending his home. But they would not have him until his debts for the gem had been paid, and his honor, lost to the fire in his father's forge, had been redeemed. The law required it of him. Dwarven lives are long, but Vargruk could not see himself working the quarry or cleaning the middens for money, or learning a peaceful trade to regain status. So Vargruk has decided to regain honor at the end of his axe, and money from those who would pay him for his service. He fully intends to pay his debts, but he doesn't agree that he should be forced to do so in the manner the law requires. So he wrote his parents a letter explaining this, and headed topside to seek his fortune.

Haven't rolled my own stats.

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
09-06-2016, 03:00 PM
Does Roll20 allow players to choose whether they want to play through text, audio and/or video?

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
09-06-2016, 03:01 PM
(09-06-2016 03:00 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Does Roll20 allow players to choose whether they want to play through text, audio and/or video?

It is a chatroom with a built in die roller and a place the DM can use premade maps.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
09-06-2016, 03:06 PM
Hmm Ok so I went back to My Roll20 account they've changed some things around. In order for me to open my game back up I would have to pay.

I'm kind of looking for the cheapest route.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
09-06-2016, 03:11 PM
(09-06-2016 03:06 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Hmm Ok so I went back to My Roll20 account they've changed some things around. In order for me to open my game back up I would have to pay.

I'm kind of looking for the cheapest route.

Lemme check around a bit see if I can fine something.