D&D

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2011, 04:48 AM
RE: D&D
Quote:Damage Reduction is entirely separate from Armor Class. Armor Class determines how hard it is to hit you. Damage Reduction reduces the amount of damage you take once someone hits you. However, not everyone has Damage Reduction, and most armors don't have it. It's a rare ability. Armor or spells which give you Damage Reduction are extremely valuable.

So if a character wears chain-mail or leather doesn't matter to damage reduction ?
It only makes them harder to hit ? So then what's the point of plate armor and all that if all they do is restrict your spells/movement and offer no damage reduction ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2011, 06:23 PM
(05-02-2011 04:48 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  So if a character wears chain-mail or leather doesn't matter to damage reduction ?

Right.

At higher levels, though, you might find magic armor which gives you Damage Reduction. Most armor doesn't, though.

Quote:It only makes them harder to hit ? So then what's the point of plate armor and all that if all they do is restrict your spells/movement and offer no damage reduction ?

Plate armor makes you very hard to hit. A suit of leather armor gives you +2 armor class. Plate, if I remember correctly, gives you +7 or so.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
06-02-2011, 04:34 AM
Does that even make sense ? I mean if you were a light armor you should be more flexible and harder to hit while in heavy armor you would move slowly but take less damage.
Sorry - I'll need some time to wrap my conservative gamer brain around this one , it's way out there and goes against what I would find normal.

06-02-2011, 09:17 AM
(06-02-2011 04:34 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Does that even make sense ?

Not really. That's one of the reasons I don't play D&D very often any more. I don't like its combat system.

Quote:I mean if you were a light armor you should be more flexible and harder to hit while in heavy armor you would move slowly but take less damage.

Yep. The game tries to simulate this by giving each armor a Maximum Dexterity Bonus, which limits the amount of your Dexterity bonus that you can apply to your Armor Class.

Quote:Sorry - I'll need some time to wrap my conservative gamer brain around this one , it's way out there and goes against what I would find normal.

Yep. I totally agree. Which is why I don't usually play D&D.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
06-02-2011, 01:07 PM
If there's one RPG series I loved it was what was made by Piranha Bites , Gothic 1 , Gothic 2 and Risen - if you ever played those.

Still , I want to learn basic D&D lore to be able to play certain games that come out.Playing it on paper in the near future doesn't seem feasible but it couldn't hurt.

07-02-2011, 08:07 AM
(06-02-2011 01:07 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  If there's one RPG series I loved it was what was made by Piranha Bites , Gothic 1 , Gothic 2 and Risen - if you ever played those.

No, I haven't. I'll look 'em up, though.

Quote:Still , I want to learn basic D&D lore to be able to play certain games that come out.Playing it on paper in the near future doesn't seem feasible but it couldn't hurt.

You could always try play-by-post gaming - playing tabletop games on a forum. I'm an active member of the Myth-Weavers gaming forum, which acts as a free host for thousands of PbP games. You could go there.

07-02-2011, 10:45 AM
(07-02-2011 08:07 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  No, I haven't. I'll look 'em up, though.

If you ever get a chance , they are great action-RPG games.They have a unique feel and original feel and replaiability is great especially in Risen. The entire mechanics are beautifully elegant.
Also , since I'm a nagging spouse apparently , I may recommend the Dark Disciples series which is a freeware RPG.

Quote:You could always try play-by-post gaming - playing tabletop games on a forum. I'm an active member of the Myth-Weavers gaming forum, which acts as a free host for thousands of PbP games. You could go there.

It's a possibility - I may show up , but I'll have to try and find the beginner's section - if they have one.

Last kinda question , how do spells work.I can get the fact that you have a certain number of charges per day. I still have difficulty navigating spells. I can get Ice Touch or Fireball , but some of them seems so hard to understand ,like Color Spray or Chromatic Sphere (Icewind Dale), intuitively. Any suggestions ?

07-02-2011, 11:52 AM
(07-02-2011 10:45 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  It's a possibility - I may show up , but I'll have to try and find the beginner's section - if they have one.

There's no real beginner's section, but you can always put up a thread in the Game Planning section asking for a DM who would be willing to teach you the ropes of the game.

Quote:Last kinda question , how do spells work.I can get the fact that you have a certain number of charges per day. I still have difficulty navigating spells. I can get Ice Touch or Fireball , but some of them seems so hard to understand ,like Color Spray or Chromatic Sphere (Icewind Dale), intuitively. Any suggestions ?

Each spellcasting character gets a certain number of spells per day. How many depends on the level of the character and their chosen class.

Spells are divided into levels, ranging from zero to nine. Spell levels - and this is important - are not the same as character levels. A level three character cannot cast level three spells. You don't get your first third-level spell until around level five. Just remember that: spell levels are not the same as character levels. That's often the hardest part for new players to understand.

Each spellcaster's spells per day are divided into spell levels; a wizard may get four level-zero spells per day, but only one level-two spell per day. You can also use higher-level spell slots to cast lower-level spells (the wizard above could trade in his level two spell for a level zero).

Each spell has its own entry in the game's source text. For an illustration, let's look at magic missile, one of the most widely-known spells.

Magic Missile <-This is the spell's name.
Evocation [Force] <-This is the spell's type. Magic Missile is an evocation spell with the "force" subtype.
Level: Sor/Wiz 1 <-This is the list of classes which can cast the spell, as well as the spell's level. Sorcerors and Wizards can cast magic missile when they get the ability to cast level one spells.
Components: V, S <- These are the components required to cast the spell. "V" stands for "verbal"; you have to speak to cast this spell. "S" stands for "somatic"; you also have to be able to move.
Casting Time: 1 standard action <-This is how long the spell takes to cast.
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level) <-This is the spell's range.
Targets: Up to five creatures, no two of which can be more than 15 ft. apart <-This is what you can hit with the spell.
Duration: Instantaneous <-This is how long the spell lasts.
Saving Throw: None <-This is the saving throw that the target of the spell gets to avoid the effect. Magic missile does not allow a saving throw; it automatically hits.
Spell Resistance: Yes <-This is whether or not Spell Resistance applies. Some monsters have Spell Resistance (and some magic items can give other people SR), which means that spells cast against them have a chance to fail.

[Spell description and rules follow]

A missile of magical energy darts forth from your fingertip and strikes its target, dealing 1d4+1 points of force damage.

The missile strikes unerringly, even if the target is in melee combat or has less than total cover or total concealment. Specific parts of a creature can’t be singled out. Inanimate objects are not damaged by the spell.

For every two caster levels beyond 1st, you gain an additional missile—two at 3rd level, three at 5th, four at 7th, and the maximum of five missiles at 9th level or higher. If you shoot multiple missiles, you can have them strike a single creature or several creatures. A single missile can strike only one creature. You must designate targets before you check for spell resistance or roll damage.

-----------------------------------------------

Magic missile is a very simple spell. You wanted to know about color spray, though, so here you go.

Color Spray
Illusion (Pattern) [Mind-Affecting] <-This spell is a mind-affecting illusion. This means that it can only be used on things which have a mind; golems, zombies, and the like are mindless and therefore unaffected.
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, M <-The "M" stands for "material". You have to have some material component on hand to cast this spell.
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 15 ft.
Area: Cone-shaped burst
Duration: Instantaneous; see text
Saving Throw: Will negates <-The target(s) of this spell get a Will saving throw in order to avoid its effects.
Spell Resistance: Yes

A vivid cone of clashing colors springs forth from your hand, causing creatures to become stunned, perhaps also blinded, and possibly knocking them unconscious.

Each creature within the cone is affected according to its Hit Dice.

["Hit Dice" is essentially equal to the monster's level. Color spray affects weaker creatures more easily than it does stronger ones.]

2 HD or less
The creature is unconscious, blinded, and stunned for 2d4 rounds, then blinded and stunned for 1d4 rounds, and then stunned for 1 round. (Only living creatures are knocked unconscious.)

3 or 4 HD
The creature is blinded and stunned for 1d4 rounds, then stunned for 1 round.

5 or more HD
The creature is stunned for 1 round.

Sightless creatures are not affected by color spray.

Material Component <-This is the thing that you have to have on hand to cast the spell. Most of the time, you don't need to worry about this. Wizards carry around a "spell component pouch". As long as you have this, you are assumed to have all items necessary to cast any of your spells, except for those objects which the spell specifically says cost money. You have to buy those.

A pinch each of powder or sand that is colored red, yellow, and blue.

---------------------------------------

So color spray throws up a hypnotic pattern of colors that attempts to overwhelm the targets' minds. Weaker creatures can't take it, and are blinded, stunned, and knocked unconscious. More powerful creatures are able to shrug off some of the effects.

07-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Quote:Saving Throw: None <-This is the saving throw that the target of the spell gets to avoid the effect. Magic missile does not allow a saving throw; it automatically hits.
Spell Resistance: Yes <-This is whether or not Spell Resistance applies. Some monsters have Spell Resistance (and some magic items can give other people SR), which means that spells cast against them have a chance to fail.
This makes my brain hurt - no saving throw BUT spell resistance.

Also how do these games stay balanced ? I mean all those classes and stats , the math behind it must be overwhelming. Sad

What video games do you recommend ? Baldur's Gate , Icewind Dale , Dragon Age ? What's easy for n00bs like me ?

How long did it take you to understand the game , I'm just curios Tongue
Will I ever be able to play without a rule book on my lap ?

07-02-2011, 03:42 PM
(07-02-2011 02:22 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  This makes my brain hurt - no saving throw BUT spell resistance.

Yep. Again, D&D is overly complicated and, at times, completely nonsensical. Which is why I don't play it much any more.

Quote:Also how do these games stay balanced ? I mean all those classes and stats , the math behind it must be overwhelming. Sad

They don't. Most DMs outright ban Wizards, Clerics, and Druids from their games, because they're completely overpowered. Other classes vary between "viable if you min-max the ever-loving shit out of them" and "total crap".

Quote:What video games do you recommend ? Baldur's Gate , Icewind Dale , Dragon Age ? What's easy for n00bs like me ?

The Baldur's Gate series is fairly easy. I haven't played the other ones you mentioned.

Another one to consider would be Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. It uses D&D rules adapted to the Star Wars universe, and it's a great game in its own right.

Quote:How long did it take you to understand the game , I'm just curios Tongue

I don't remember. I started playing when I was nine. I don't know how long it took me to learn all the ins and outs of gameplay.

Quote:Will I ever be able to play without a rule book on my lap ?

Depends. How much of your free time are you willing to give up to learn it? Big Grin