D&D

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2011, 04:51 PM
RE: D&D
(07-02-2011 03:42 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Another one to consider would be Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. It uses D&D rules adapted to the Star Wars universe, and it's a great game in its own right.
I second this. Both the original and sequel were incredible for their time.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2011, 03:37 AM
Played Kotor a while back , did okay , but when you know a dark side counselor can force lightning the entire universe to death , the game starts to lose its appeal. Especially if you have a double bladed light saber to add to the mix.

I love action RPG games, most. Fable , Gothic , Risen - those kind of games. I enjoy a more laid back game , based on D&D rules but I prefer the outcome to be based on my with with the controls rather than a set of dice - no offense.

Didn't know D&D was so unbalanced. Why is it so popular then ?

Last , Unbeliever - how about we start our own rule set Tongue ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
08-02-2011, 12:18 PM
(08-02-2011 03:37 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Didn't know D&D was so unbalanced. Why is it so popular then ?

Because it was the first "real" tabletop RPG. As such, it's the most famous, and it gets the most media face time. It's just more widely known than the others.

Quote:Last , Unbeliever - how about we start our own rule set Tongue ?

Ha! Big Grin

I'm content with my other RPGs for right now, but if you want to make your own, go ahead.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
08-02-2011, 03:18 PM
I'll make my own RPG someday , I hope Tongue

One issue - how do you fight a monster at first ? Do you know them by heart or do you just try and guess what weapons will be effective ?

What RPG games are you playing that you are so content ? I must know ...

08-02-2011, 04:29 PM
(08-02-2011 03:18 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  One issue - how do you fight a monster at first ? Do you know them by heart or do you just try and guess what weapons will be effective ?

Depends. Some monsters are vulnerable to all kinds of weapons. Goblins, for example, die just as easily to a hammer as to a sword.

Some monsters, it just takes a little thought. An animated wooden golem will be weak to fire, and arrows aren't going to do much against a skeleton.

Some, everybody knows about. Werewolves are weak against silver. Vampires can't stand holy weapons. And so on.

Then there are some that the only way to find out is to either read the Monster Manual (the sourcebook containing information on monster statistics) or through trial and error in-game. These are generally the more outlandish monsters, like xorns and aboleths.

Quote:What RPG games are you playing that you are so content ? I must know ...

This is my profile page over on Myth-Weavers. It's got a list of all the games that I'm running and participating in. To find out which system the game is using, click on its name and look at the top of the page. There will be a folder icon, followed by Myth-Weavers>Games>[System name]>[Game name].

My personal favorites, though, are Spirit of the Century, Deadlands: Reloaded, and World of Darkness. They're all incredibly simple and easy to play without sacrificing any of the functionality that D&D has. I also enjoy Paranoia, though that's for more light-hearted gaming, and Mutants and Masterminds. The latter, though, is very complicated (it uses an altered version of D&D's rules), but it has so much customization available that I'm willing to put up with the complexity.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
08-02-2011, 06:40 PM
So you play no computer RPG games ?

08-02-2011, 06:58 PM
I do occasionally. Not as often as I play tabletop RPGs, though. When I play a video game RPG, it usually doesn't live up to my expectations for RPGs as a genre. RPGs on a computer are rarely "true" RPGs - as in, games that let you play a role, like an actor. They're just games with a level-up and stat system.

So when I play video games, I'm usually looking for a fundamentally different experience than RPGs. Strategy games, shooters, and so on.

09-02-2011, 07:41 AM
OK , I get your point now.

10-02-2011, 12:24 PM
(08-02-2011 06:58 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  I do occasionally. Not as often as I play tabletop RPGs, though.

I can see why :
[Image: 129041178464697781.jpg]

10-02-2011, 03:53 PM
That's it right there. Big Grin