D&D

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2011, 04:12 PM
RE: D&D
(08-02-2011 04:29 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(08-02-2011 03:18 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  One issue - how do you fight a monster at first ? Do you know them by heart or do you just try and guess what weapons will be effective ?

Depends. Some monsters are vulnerable to all kinds of weapons. Goblins, for example, die just as easily to a hammer as to a sword.

Some monsters, it just takes a little thought. An animated wooden golem will be weak to fire, and arrows aren't going to do much against a skeleton.

Some, everybody knows about. Werewolves are weak against silver. Vampires can't stand holy weapons. And so on.

Then there are some that the only way to find out is to either read the Monster Manual (the sourcebook containing information on monster statistics) or through trial and error in-game. These are generally the more outlandish monsters, like xorns and aboleths.

Quote:What RPG games are you playing that you are so content ? I must know ...

This is my profile page over on Myth-Weavers. It's got a list of all the games that I'm running and participating in. To find out which system the game is using, click on its name and look at the top of the page. There will be a folder icon, followed by Myth-Weavers>Games>[System name]>[Game name].

My personal favorites, though, are Spirit of the Century, Deadlands: Reloaded, and World of Darkness. They're all incredibly simple and easy to play without sacrificing any of the functionality that D&D has. I also enjoy Paranoia, though that's for more light-hearted gaming, and Mutants and Masterminds. The latter, though, is very complicated (it uses an altered version of D&D's rules), but it has so much customization available that I'm willing to put up with the complexity.
Any advice on how I might dip my toes in the Myth Weaving water? It looks intriguing, but after checking out the site a bit, I am honestly a little overwhelmed.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Post an intro thread in the intro section (that's what it's there for! Tongue). After that, head on over to the Games & Ads section. That's where all the people who are looking for players for their games post their game ideas and requirements. There's a list on the left-hand side which shows all the systems being advertised, as well as how many games of each are up. Click on a system that you're interested in playing in, then choose the game thread that interests you most and post in there that you're interested in playing but may need some help with learning play-by-post.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
10-02-2011, 05:09 PM
(10-02-2011 04:21 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Post an intro thread in the intro section (that's what it's there for! Tongue). After that, head on over to the Games & Ads section. That's where all the people who are looking for players for their games post their game ideas and requirements. There's a list on the left-hand side which shows all the systems being advertised, as well as how many games of each are up. Click on a system that you're interested in playing in, then choose the game thread that interests you most and post in there that you're interested in playing but may need some help with learning play-by-post.
That seems simpler than I would have guessed. thanks

10-02-2011, 05:54 PM
No problem.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
10-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Have to get around to making an account on that site and playing.
BTW Unbeliever, would you do me the honor of being my Dungeon Master ? Tongue

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
12-02-2011, 03:45 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2011 03:49 PM by Unbeliever.)
I don't run D&D games, but if I start up another game, I'll be sure to let you know. Most of my games are full, but there's a spot open in "A Eulogy for Socrates", my All Flesh Must Be Eaten game (which is a zombie apocalypse RPG). If you want to jump in there, just let me know. Or you can wait for another system that you're interested in playing in to catch my interest.

EDIT: Alternately, if you have a system other than D&D that you'd like to learn, I could start up a game in that. Some suggestions are the World of Darkness games (there are lots of different settings to choose from), Spirit of the Century, and Mutants and Masterminds (which is similar to D&D rules-wise).

12-02-2011, 03:56 PM
(12-02-2011 03:45 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  I don't run D&D games, but if I start up another game, I'll be sure to let you know. Most of my games are full, but there's a spot open in "A Eulogy for Socrates", my All Flesh Must Be Eaten game (which is a zombie apocalypse RPG). If you want to jump in there, just let me know. Or you can wait for another system that you're interested in playing in to catch my interest.

Crap, that is the one I wanted to start learning first, and I don't have time this week. Damned college!

12-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Play-by-post moves slowly. You don't have to have lots of time. If you want in, just let me know; a couple players have disappeared, and the story has just reached a point where they found a group of other survivors, so it'd be easy to work you in.

12-02-2011, 11:25 PM
I appreciate it but I have a paper due and two tests this week. LOTS of writing and studying. Hell, I'm only on here for a bit of relaxation to de-stress, then it's back to the grind.

13-02-2011, 07:12 AM
Explain how it works Unbeliever and I may join...
Just as long as the rules don't kill me or make my brain turn to goop.

Good luck on the exams and paper "cfhmagnet", and make sure to drown in beer once you pass Wink

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin