D-Day

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2016, 10:06 PM
D-Day
In a few days it will be the 72nd anniversary of D-Day, June 6, 1944.

Here is WWII depicted day by day on the European Continent.

and the Pacific Theatre.

Seeing how long it took to retake invaded lands is eye-opening and then it culminates very quickly.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 14 users Like Full Circle's post
02-06-2016, 11:13 PM
RE: D-Day
Even more eye-opening is the guts it took on beaches like Omaha and Tarawa, streets in Stalingrad, waters like Iron-bottom Sound, hills like Cassino.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
03-06-2016, 05:21 AM
Cross Channel Attack
Gordon A. Harrison

Free download.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
03-06-2016, 05:35 AM
I think this is a very useful tool to give laypersons a quick idea of how the total war went from beginning to end. NO, I do think it is very important to understand economic conditions and both the religious and political ideologies that lead to it. But it does give a quick visual.

I saw the same thing done to the Korean War. I had no clue that the majority of the peninsula flipped hands in both directions before the end when it was finally split at the DMZ. And I didn't realize that the Korean War was only 3 years long.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
03-06-2016, 05:54 AM
(03-06-2016 05:35 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  I saw the same thing done to the Korean War. I had no clue that the majority of the peninsula flipped hands in both directions before the end when it was finally split at the DMZ. And I didn't realize that the Korean War was only 3 years long.

I argued that South Korea would have never fallen, and pointed out that Pusan never fell. Once the US got their game on the NKA never had a chance.
03-06-2016, 08:22 AM
And yet the final outcome was foregone by at least 1942. The downward spiral of the Axis regimes was one of the biggest wastes in human history.

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
03-06-2016, 09:01 AM
(02-06-2016 10:06 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  In a few days it will be the 72nd anniversary of D-Day, June 6, 1944.

Here is WWII depicted day by day on the European Continent.

Seeing how long it took to retake invaded lands is eye-opening and then it culminates very quickly.

Very informative. Thanks for posting. Smile
03-06-2016, 11:24 AM
(03-06-2016 08:22 AM)cjlr Wrote:  And yet the final outcome was foregone by at least 1942. The downward spiral of the Axis regimes was one of the biggest wastes in human history.
One could argue that outcome was foregone from the start. Also that wasn't the war that Hitler wanted; he allegedly wanted Poles as allies (or rather satelite) - he failed in that regard. He wanted GB as an ally - another failure. Hitler plan failed since the beggining, despite the early succeses of Heer.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
03-06-2016, 11:51 AM
I think he could have won the war up until he decided to listen to Goering's promise about defeating the RAF in 1940.

Of coursed, invading Russia only sealed his fate.
03-06-2016, 12:05 PM
80,000,000 Germans take on the UK, US and USSR? Bitte schone!