D's laconic S.S.

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 4.22 Average
21-11-2015, 11:56 PM
RE: Doc's Pyrrhic Sunday School (defeating ignorance since 2013)
(21-11-2015 04:02 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 09:16 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Wasn't one of Noah's sons married to a woman who had some sort of giant heritage? I'll have to ask my brother, since he brought it up. It may have just been some apologetic bullshit.

Is your brother a Christian? Or Jewish? Maybe he was thinking of Lilith, the first wife of Adam? She was sometimes described as a "night monster" or hag. Although created as a human, she rebelled against Adam (by refusing to assume the missionary position) and went on to become the mother of demons.

Doc

Adam was secretly gay anyway.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-11-2015, 08:34 AM
(21-11-2015 11:56 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(21-11-2015 04:02 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Is your brother a Christian? Or Jewish? Maybe he was thinking of Lilith, the first wife of Adam? She was sometimes described as a "night monster" or hag. Although created as a human, she rebelled against Adam (by refusing to assume the missionary position) and went on to become the mother of demons.

Doc

You leave Steve out of this.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
22-11-2015, 10:44 AM
(21-11-2015 11:56 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(21-11-2015 04:02 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Is your brother a Christian? Or Jewish? Maybe he was thinking of Lilith, the first wife of Adam? She was sometimes described as a "night monster" or hag. Although created as a human, she rebelled against Adam (by refusing to assume the missionary position) and went on to become the mother of demons.

Doc

TOC is right. This is a common misconception caused by careless readers inadvertently leaving out the period in St. Eve.

As an interesting aside, one can see that once again it was a female that is responsible for the world's woes. If Lilith hadn't been so pig-headed and consented to assume the missionary position for Adam, what a wonderful world this would be!

Doc
[+] 2 users Like docskeptic's post
22-11-2015, 12:49 PM
(22-11-2015 10:44 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(21-11-2015 11:56 PM)morondog Wrote:  Adam was secretly gay anyway.

TOC is right. This is a common misconception caused by careless readers inadvertently leaving out the period in St. Eve.

As an interesting aside, one can see that once again it was a female that is responsible for the world's woes. If Lilith hadn't been so pig-headed and consented to assume the missionary position for Adam, what a wonderful world this would be!

Doc

Listen, you filthy periodists are making an egregious and unforgivable misinterpretation of the text based on a bit of fly poo copied by an insufficiently fundamental fundamentalist trascriptionist Angry

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
23-11-2015, 12:56 PM
RE: Doc's Platonic Sunday School (just friends with God. Nothing more.)
(22-11-2015 12:49 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(22-11-2015 10:44 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  TOC is right. This is a common misconception caused by careless readers inadvertently leaving out the period in St. Eve.

Doc

Listen, you filthy periodists are making an egregious and unforgivable misinterpretation of the text based on a bit of fly poo copied by an insufficiently fundamental fundamentalist trascriptionist Angry

Ah, shucks. That ain't nuthin'. Consider the havoc created by a comma in Isaiah 45:11, "Thus saith the LORD, the Holy One of Israel, and his Maker, Ask me of things to come concerning my sons, and concerning the work of my hands command ye me."

Clear proof that YHWH had a creator. It's turtles all the way down, people!

Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
29-11-2015, 11:20 AM
Talking about poor grammar and syntax, consider the following verse: In Joshua 5:2, "the Lord said to Joshua, “Make flint knives for yourself, and circumcise the sons of Israel again the second time."

Yeeeowch! How's that even possible? Was the ancient Hebrew male like a lizard, able to grow back amputated parts?

Doc
[+] 2 users Like docskeptic's post
29-11-2015, 11:27 AM
Maybe the star of Bethlehem was a Starfish and gave regeneration powers to the sons of Israel.

[Image: seastar4.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
29-11-2015, 11:32 PM (This post was last modified: 29-11-2015 11:36 PM by The Organic Chemist.)
RE: Doc's Socratic Sunday School (more fun than drinking hemlock!)
(29-11-2015 11:20 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Talking about poor grammar and syntax, consider the following verse: In Joshua 5:2, "the Lord said to Joshua, “Make flint knives for yourself, and circumcise the sons of Israel again the second time."

Yeeeowch! How's that even possible? Was the ancient Hebrew male like a lizard, able to grow back amputated parts?

Doc

Well, maybe the some Rabbis have poor aim.
Another question is why flint? They knew about metal knives.

Also, Josh handled a great many penises in his time. A couple hundred dead Philistines and the peckers of every male of Isreal. He got around. And he was not gay.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
30-11-2015, 05:46 PM
(29-11-2015 11:32 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(29-11-2015 11:20 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Talking about poor grammar and syntax, consider the following verse: In Joshua 5:2, "the Lord said to Joshua, “Make flint knives for yourself, and circumcise the sons of Israel again the second time."

Doc

Flint knives are sharper. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-11-2015, 07:24 PM
(29-11-2015 11:32 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  

Doc

Also, Josh handled a great many penises in his time. A couple hundred dead Philistines and the peckers of every male of Isreal. He got around. And he was not gay.

I think you mean David. This was in my very first pop quiz ever:

6. In your own opinion, which was the better of the two:
a. David's gift of two hundred foreskins (which he got by murdering 200 random Philistines) to his lovely bride-to-be (I Samuel 18:27)
b. Samson's gift of thirty sets of clothes (which he got by murdering thirty random Philistines) to his wedding guests.
Be creative. Extra credit for using all our vocabulary words from last week (horrific, humorous, romantic, atrocity, tender, sweet, thoughtful).