DC Law To Reward Breeders

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2015, 04:51 PM
RE: DC Law To Reward Breeders
I'm against forcing employers to pay for this kind of thing. Bottom line is companies will find a way to make up for the lost money somehow. They'll A. Lower wages, B. Hire fewer workers, or C. Raise prices on their products.

It's like all of the McDonald's workers screaming for $15 an hour, only to find their jobs slowly replaced by a touchscreen ordering terminal.

What works in other countries will never work here. Companies desire higher profit margins.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2015, 05:02 PM
Should we have universal health care -- that's a separate issue.

(my opinion -- it would be cheaper than the abortion we recently got stuck with)..

Paying people for having kids is equal to the prohibition of birth control...

It's a very "Catholic" idea -- make more little Catholics........

Do you have the right to have kids??? Absolutely.

Do you have the right to expect anyone other than the other person involved in the making of the kid to be fiscally responsible for your desire to procreate????

Absolutely not.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
11-10-2015, 05:25 PM
(11-10-2015 05:02 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Do you have the right to expect anyone other than the other person involved in the making of the kid to be fiscally responsible for your desire to procreate????

Absolutely not.

Like previously said, it's an investment. We expect our taxpayers to fund the education system. Why? It's beneficial to society as a whole.

Is it a right to have paid FMLA? No. But it is part of being a civilized society to ensure the well being of its citizens.

As far as desire to procreate, according to the CDC, 40% of US births result from an unintended pregnancy.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
11-10-2015, 05:32 PM
(11-10-2015 05:25 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(11-10-2015 05:02 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Do you have the right to expect anyone other than the other person involved in the making of the kid to be fiscally responsible for your desire to procreate????

Absolutely not.

Like previously said, it's an investment. We expect our taxpayers to fund the education system. Why? It's beneficial to society as a whole.

Is it a right to have paid FMLA? No. But it is part of being a civilized society to ensure the well being of its citizens.

As far as desire to procreate, according to the CDC, 40% of US births result from an unintended pregnancy.

All FMLA should be paid. Otherwise you are offering it to very select group. When I was going through cancer surgeries there was unpaid FMLA. Had my father not died that year, we would have become homeless as my income was halted twice in 5-1/2 months. Once for nearly 8 weeks and once for three...both times, I should have been out longer but couldn't afford it.

It doesn't matter that 40% of pregnancies are unplanned. I assure you I didn't plan on breast cancer. In fact, I had been having mammograms for over a decade - not that that's preventative in any way. My choice would certainly have been a resounding 'no'.

All or none - or offer the sale of maternity leave insurance for people of child-bearing years.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
11-10-2015, 05:48 PM
(11-10-2015 05:25 PM)Nurse Wrote:  

Absolutely not.

I beg to disagree. It's not an investment -- it's continuing an outmoded system.

At one time in agrarian society it made sense to have lots of kids. They helped out on the farm - and were your "social security" plan... You got old - your kids (hopefully) took care of you... (unless of course you're a complete asshat - and the kids all ran off)

In today's society -- where overpopulation is a very real issue -- promoting the having of children should NOT be a priority. Taking care of the kids we have? Sure, of course.

But NEVER should we give anyone any incentive to have kids.

If anything -- we should incentivize the NOT having of kids...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
11-10-2015, 05:55 PM
(11-10-2015 05:32 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(11-10-2015 05:25 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Like previously said, it's an investment. We expect our taxpayers to fund the education system. Why? It's beneficial to society as a whole.

All FMLA should be paid. Otherwise you are offering it to very select group. When I was going through cancer surgeries there was unpaid FMLA. Had my father not died that year, we would have become homeless as my income was halted twice in 5-1/2 months. Once for nearly 8 weeks and once for three...both times, I should have been out longer but couldn't afford it.

It doesn't matter that 40% of pregnancies are unplanned. I assure you I didn't plan on breast cancer. In fact, I had been having mammograms for over a decade - not that that's preventative in any way. My choice would certainly have been a resounding 'no'.

All or none - or offer the sale of maternity leave insurance for people of child-bearing years.

You're right, it doesn't matter if the pregnancy is planned or not...there's still a child that's going to grow up to become a member of society. (The point I didn't clearly make was that there are a LOT of young, new parents that don't have the resources in place to raise a child, and being that it wasn't a planned pregnancy, there's not savings in place, instead contributing to poverty and the laundry list of problems that entails. We should be trying to give the country's children the best opportunities possible - they are our future engineers, nurses, doctors, entrepreneurs, politicians).

I'd support paid FMLA - I think it's shameful that it isn't. I'm all for keeping our society as healthy as possible instead of the every man/woman/child fend for themselves mentality.

As far as sale of maternity insurance, if I'm struggling to make ends meet before I get knocked up, I'm not going to pay maternity insurance for a possible "oops." I'm going to pay my utility bill.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
11-10-2015, 05:56 PM
Yes. Don't help support a family if they need it. It's better they put the kid in an orphanage.

That will create a much more stable adult.
11-10-2015, 05:58 PM
(11-10-2015 05:48 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(11-10-2015 05:25 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Like previously said, it's an investment. We expect our taxpayers to fund the education system. Why? It's beneficial to society as a whole.

I beg to disagree. It's not an investment -- it's continuing an outmoded system.

At one time in agrarian society it made sense to have lots of kids. They helped out on the farm - and were your "social security" plan... You got old - your kids (hopefully) took care of you... (unless of course you're a complete asshat - and the kids all ran off)

In today's society -- where overpopulation is a very real issue -- promoting the having of children should NOT be a priority. Taking care of the kids we have? Sure, of course.

But NEVER should we give anyone any incentive to have kids.

If anything -- we should incentivize the NOT having of kids...

But that's what it's doing - helping to take care of kids that we have. Incentivizing having a child? That would be paying someone above the $300K it costs to raise them.

[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post
11-10-2015, 06:01 PM
Paid FMLA would have been such a huge help to us. My job basically forced me out when I got pregnant and I had to take unpaid fmla very early into my pregnancy. My job told me that was the only way I could have my position back after the baby.

This threw us into a financial tailspin we are still recovering from.
[+] 3 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
11-10-2015, 06:43 PM
(11-10-2015 05:32 PM)Anjele Wrote:  

I think I agree with this. Having children is a lifestyle choice. If a benefit is available to some as the result of a choice, there should be some equal benefit available to all. I don't think people get paid (unless they use their accrued PTO time) when they take FMLA. So it's basically an unpaid LOA.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post