DC Law To Reward Breeders

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2015, 06:56 PM
RE: DC Law To Reward Breeders
I would like to be clear that I am not saying saying NO to paid FMLA for pregnancy.

What I am saying is that paid FMLA should then be available to everyone.

When one person is dealing with an illness or injury it's possible that they have some sort of insurance coverage for them that will pay them a part of their usual income. However, the spouse/partner/child/parent that may have to take time from work to help care for the person during and after will not be paid through FMLA, nor is there an insurance, that I am aware of, to cover taking care of someone else. So you have the issue of a family that can go, in the blink of an eye, from two incomes to less than one.

I spent my recovery alone...unable to open a pill bottle or pour a glass of tea. I also had to drive myself into downtown Dallas for appointments when I had far from the appropriate range of motion to do so safely. My husband was in a similar position after back surgery.

During this time, expenses do not decrease...in fact, multiple medical visits, physical therapy, etc. add up quickly and there isn't anyone out there handing out cash for the incidentals like bandaging, transportation, etc.

The majority of us aren't in a financial position to handle that. It also forces people back to work before it's a medically good idea. This forcing of people back to work too soon is often detrimental to a full and complete healing.

It isn't only young people that face struggles when a medical issue crops up. I still struggle thanks to gaps in work/pay and medical expenses. It's been nearly six years.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
11-10-2015, 07:02 PM
While we're at it, we should take away veterans' benefits. We shouldn't be rewarding people for risking their lives for the glory of $2 car magnet manufacturers. Should we really be paying for the medical care and therapy for returning human shields just becaused they stepped on a landmine? Why should I pay for it? They should be pulling themselves up by the straps of their leg-knubs. Or, if overpopulation is really a concern, just take them out behind the chow hall and grind them into Salisbury steak for the new recruits. Waste not, be efficient.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
11-10-2015, 11:01 PM
(11-10-2015 04:16 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(11-10-2015 03:46 PM)morondog Wrote:  Jeez OB, that was a decent article. By adopting the bill you're improving the quality of brats you produce, not the quantity.

And you want to reward people for having children WHY???

If having children enhances your life - nobody's telling you otherwise.

No one wants to punish people for having kids - but we should NOT be in the "procreation business".

It's an outdated concept -- promoted by every religion as a way to "out breed the other guy".

We don't need it anymore - it's simply clung to like many other outdated principals -- like shaming unwed mothers......

You are drawing an unwarranted conclusion - I am fully in support of any and all measures that decrease population without actually killing people. Sex education, wide availability of contraceptives, abortion for those who want to go that route. But like Nurse said, once the kid is on the way, there's a lot that can be done to improve its chances in the future. The formative years are the most important, it makes sense to invest the heaviest in them. You get a much better return for cheaper. Consider how much more it costs to fix a broken adult than to raise a kid who's not gonna break in the first place.

I don't know how the concept of paid leave for parents is equivalent to "shaming unwed mothers", please do explain? Dodgy

And again, as Anjele said, really this paid medical leave thing should be for *all*, not just parents, but it's a start.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
11-10-2015, 11:26 PM
(11-10-2015 11:01 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(11-10-2015 04:16 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And you want to reward people for having children WHY???

If having children enhances your life - nobody's telling you otherwise.

No one wants to punish people for having kids - but we should NOT be in the "procreation business".

It's an outdated concept -- promoted by every religion as a way to "out breed the other guy".

We don't need it anymore - it's simply clung to like many other outdated principals -- like shaming unwed mothers......

I don't know how the concept of paid leave for parents is equivalent to "shaming unwed mothers", please do explain? Dodgy

Clearly it's like shaming unwed mothers because, much like unwed mothers, those who take it should feel ashamed of wantonly popping out more kids for the world to deal with.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
12-10-2015, 12:02 AM
Lest anyone not be clear on this.

I'm not advocating treating children badly. Far from it.

NOWHERE have I said kids should be unwanted and in orphanages.

................................................................................​......

Sorry to break it to everyone who's unaware -- but the planet is horribly overpopulated. Damned near EVERY social problem can be linked back to one thing.

The continued pyramid scheme that is an economic system based upon an ever increasing population.

How many people is too many? There has to be a number. In every natural population of any species there is a threshold limit where the food, water and other resources run out and the population of that species dies out to a sustainable level. (personally I think we hit the number sometime in the 1800's)

Man with his intellect puts himself somewhat outside of the natural order of things, as he's learned to convert assets. Turning petroleum into fertilizer to increase crop yields for instance. We've so far been able to cover the deficits that would otherwise exist if we couldn't think up a solution.

And here's the crunch --- we're soon going to encounter problems we can't solve with intellect. Heard of global warming? What happens when we get a drought cycle that we can't cover with irrigation? What happens when gasoline prices fluctuate upwards to the point where petrol based fertilizer becomes too expensive to use widely??

Wouldn't it be better - if we reduced demand -- by not encouraging people to have kids??? Do future generations have to starve to death to feed the egos of those people who figure their DNA is so important that they need to pop out a dozen kids to ensure it's propagation???

Do we HAVE to stick to the old ideals of "Grow up, marry and have kids"????????

How about --- save the world -- wear a rubber for crissakes...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
12-10-2015, 12:56 AM
^^ All of what you said is true, none of it pertains to the article in your OP. The bill doesn't encourage people to have kids.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
12-10-2015, 01:30 AM
How is paid leave a bad thing?

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
12-10-2015, 01:57 AM
(12-10-2015 01:30 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  How is paid leave a bad thing?

Because it encourages women to shit out more kids, thus making overpopulation worse. And it's their job to pay for it; the society has no business supporting the members within it.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
12-10-2015, 02:10 AM
What they are proposing is another addition to the hodgepodge of government programs that are more and more governing people's lives. Get rid of it all and replace it with a universal basic income.

(11-10-2015 04:42 PM)Anjele Wrote:  When I was out, if I would have had short or long term insurance, I could have brought in some money.

If you don't have the money saved to be out of work for at least a year if you get sick....you should buy some disability insurance. Do it with after tax dollars because then you if you use it, you won't need to pay tax on any of the benefits you receive. Disability insurance isn't horribly expensive either. Maybe $40 dollars a month.
12-10-2015, 03:31 AM
(12-10-2015 12:56 AM)morondog Wrote:  ^^ All of what you said is true, none of it pertains to the article in your OP. The bill doesn't encourage people to have kids.

People are encouraged to do all sorts of things for "free money"-- including having kids.

If a person/couple is borderline of affording the cost of having a kid -- offering them money to take the time off to do it is a hell of an incentive.

Can you afford a kid or not??? There's the question...

If you have to get everyone else to kick in on your little venture -- the answer's probably "not"....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.