DC Law To Reward Breeders

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2015, 07:06 AM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2015 07:10 AM by Res Publica.)
RE: DC Law To Reward Breeders
Personally I think government support for families and child-raising is good. Raising the population is needed to keep up with economic growth. Those who have many children should be rewarded, and not left out in the dust.

(11-10-2015 04:44 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Heaven forbid we use tax money to assist with the well being of future productive citizens. Dodgy I guess we should all wait until we're 40 and the risk of genetic disorders and risk to the mother sky rockets.

It would have been great to have some help when my son was born. I was in nursing school, had three weeks off, and was back to school and taking care of patients/studying for tests before I was even recovered (I wasn't physically capable of changing a diaper the first two weeks). My husband had to file for FMLA and take the unpaid leave. Our income was less than $30K a year. We couldn't afford the formula that he needed and I was too sick to breast feed - my family helped pay for it. We still haven't caught up from the financial burden of it all.

If it weren't for help from my family, I would have never finished school effectively decreasing our income - hell, even with my current income I can't afford to give my son the resources he needs for school (he's incredibly bright and I can't afford $17K tuition/year not do I want to move him ahead two grades).

*Not everyone has family resources.*Not every mother has a spouse with an income. You can do the coulda shoulda woulda had an abortion argument, but the fact remains there's now a child. (Not to mention having access to an abortion is damn near laughable for my region thanks to the same goddamn political party that doesn't want to use tax money to assist those children). That child is going to either grow up and be a productive citizen or a burden upon society.

If we give parents the resources to take care of their children, then the likelihood of the kiddos becoming well adjusted adults is much higher. Last time I checked, drop out rates were much higher in impoverished neighborhoods than your upper middle class neighborhoods. I mean, with mom working multiple jobs struggling to make ends meet and dad either working or not in the picture, who's watching junior?
^This. This exactly.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2015, 07:12 AM
I am with Angele. There should be a number of leave days for taking care of helpless next of kin.

If the leave were to be paid, it should be paid at an equal rate for all by the health insurance company, not the employer.

This would include babies, spouses and parents who need special care. Newborns need special care, hospice patients need special care etc, it would have to be properly defined.

I do think that encouragements to breed should be removed. I also think that everyone should be able to receive care from relatives. These things are not mutually exclusive.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
12-10-2015, 07:14 AM
(12-10-2015 07:06 AM)Res Publica Wrote:  Raising the population is needed to keep up with economic growth.

So you're willing to sacrifice future generations -- condemning them to a short, impoverished life -- and probable starvation in a severely overpopulated world.

Just so you can see good economic growth in your lifetime.....

You do know what a pyramid scheme is, don't you???

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
12-10-2015, 07:26 AM
(11-10-2015 06:56 PM)Anjele Wrote:  When one person is dealing with an illness or injury it's possible that they have some sort of insurance coverage for them that will pay them a part of their usual income. However, the spouse/partner/child/parent that may have to take time from work to help care for the person during and after will not be paid through FMLA, nor is there an insurance, that I am aware of, to cover taking care of someone else. So you have the issue of a family that can go, in the blink of an eye, from two incomes to less than one.

The DC measure accommodates that.

Under the legislation that will be introduced Tuesday, almost every part-time and full-time employee in the nation’s capital would be entitled to 16 weeks of paid family leave to bond with an infant or an adopted child, recover from an illness, recuperate from a military deployment or tend to an ill family member.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
12-10-2015, 07:35 AM
(12-10-2015 07:14 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(12-10-2015 07:06 AM)Res Publica Wrote:  Raising the population is needed to keep up with economic growth.

So you're willing to sacrifice future generations -- condemning them to a short, impoverished life -- and probable starvation in a severely overpopulated world.

You do know what a pyramid scheme is, don't you???

I still don't know what this has to do with over population. Please provide a citation - any citation - that backs that assertion up. Your assertion is in complete contradiction to the actual facts that we can see and validate.

I also don't understand the "short, impoverished life" comment. You're just making stuff up now.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
12-10-2015, 07:36 AM
(12-10-2015 07:03 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And note --- I DO favor (as I stated earlier) the time off for maternity leave. I just don't favor any financial funding for something that people should be willing and able to pay for themselves.

Rolleyes So do you favour paid sick leave? Compassionate leave?

You've got no argument "my friend". Your ridiculous assertion that the bill incentivises reproduction is BULLSHIT.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
12-10-2015, 07:37 AM
(12-10-2015 07:03 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And note --- I DO favor (as I stated earlier) the time off for maternity leave. I just don't favor any financial funding for something that people should be willing and able to pay for themselves.

I missed this comment before.

It's nonsense. The idea that people can afford to take time off to spend with new children is not even a debate worth having. The very idea is preposterous. There is a reason new mothers are going right back to work - because they can't afford not to. And, it's not healthy for the mother or the child.

Contrary to current opinions, capitalism does not mean "every man for himself".

12-10-2015, 07:39 AM
(12-10-2015 07:36 AM)morondog Wrote:  

Rolleyes So do you favour paid sick leave? Compassionate leave?

You've got no argument "my friend". Your ridiculous assertion that the bill incentivises reproduction is BULLSHIT.

Speaking of things I don't get - is it at all possible to have a debate and difference of opinion without resorting to ad hominem attacks?

I disagree with Biker on this and think he's wrong. That's it. It doesn't mean I have to insult him along the way. Why is that so difficult for people to grasp?

12-10-2015, 07:46 AM
(12-10-2015 07:39 AM)BnW Wrote:  
(12-10-2015 07:36 AM)morondog Wrote:  Rolleyes So do you favour paid sick leave? Compassionate leave?

Speaking of things I don't get - is it at all possible to have a debate and difference of opinion without resorting to ad hominem attacks?

I disagree with Biker on this and think he's wrong. That's it. It doesn't mean I have to insult him along the way. Why is that so difficult for people to grasp?

Rolleyes I'm very sorry Biker if I inadvertently offended you. I also apologise to this random dickhead who's "calling me out for my offensive behaviour". Sorry I made you feel uncomfortable.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
12-10-2015, 07:53 AM
(12-10-2015 07:14 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  So you're willing to sacrifice future generations -- condemning them to a short, impoverished life -- and probable starvation in a severely overpopulated world.

Ludicrous hyperbole is a wonderfully effective way of convincing people that your argument has no merit whatsoever.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post