DC Law To Reward Breeders

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2015, 08:14 AM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2015 08:18 AM by Hobbitgirl.)
RE: DC Law To Reward Breeders
So you want forced abortion and sterilization? Because I see that as a complete disrespect of someone's right to control their own body. That's not me jumping to worst case, that is basically what every idea would break down to. Reproduction is our most basic human drives. People will not give that up willingly.

I do agree in overpopulation is a huge problem. In an ideal world everyone would only have one kid and that would be it. But thats not a reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
12-10-2015, 08:23 AM
(11-10-2015 04:42 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I don't have an issue with this except for one thing.

What about people who need to use FMLA but aren't having a baby? What if they must care for a family member? A job is held for them but they aren't paid.

When I was out, if I would have had short or long term insurance, I could have brought in some money.

Either make it so everyone who needs time off for a family medical situation, maternity/paternity, or a personal health issue can continue to bring in some income...either everyone gets the same benefit or no one gets it. In the latter case, make maternity leave an optional insurance coverage.

Well, to be honest, first usually comes the babies and then people think about aging mom and dad. As the boomers age, something will happen (I'm pretty sure).

Then you'll have the people complaining who don't have living parents -- why should they have to pay....Facepalm

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

12-10-2015, 08:39 AM
(12-10-2015 06:05 AM)BnW Wrote:  
(12-10-2015 05:58 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Just because something is common - doesn't mean it's a good idea. Bear in mind -- Europeans are doing NOTHING to address overpopulation - except restrict immigration.

If you agree that overpopulation is a problem - then ANYTHING we can passively do is a good idea. We should NOT do ANYTHING that encourages people into procreating.

If we don't get a handle on the problem passively - at some point governments will be forced into active programs. Remember China???

And someday - when we get to 20 billion people or so (yes I pulled that figure out of the air) -- people will look back and say the 1 child policy was over generous.

Of course we can just look the other way- and say there's no problem.

I don't actually have a dog in the fight.

I don't have any kids who are going to inherit the problem.

Ok, you've changed arguments here. You were not originally talking about over population. But, let's go with that.

First, I disagree that Europe is not doing anything to help with over population as they are having fewer children and are not sustaining a replacement population. If that is not doing something about the problem, then I don't know what doing something about the problem looks like.

Second, and more to the point, what does this have to do with over population? Your entire premise seems to be that this policy will encourage people to have more children. But, an overwhelming number of European countries offer this, and have for years, and they can't shoot out enough kids to maintain their current populations. So, it defy's logic that somehow this policy encourages more population given that, in one large sample, the complete opposite happened.

I'm pretty sure some other countries give a stipend to women so they can stay home for the first 5 years.

That would have been a HUGE help to us when the kids were little.

12-10-2015, 08:49 AM
(12-10-2015 07:35 AM)BnW Wrote:  
(12-10-2015 07:14 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  So you're willing to sacrifice future generations -- condemning them to a short, impoverished life -- and probable starvation in a severely overpopulated world.

Just so you can see good economic growth in your lifetime.....

You do know what a pyramid scheme is, don't you???

I still don't know what this has to do with over population. Please provide a citation - any citation - that backs that assertion up. Your assertion is in complete contradiction to the actual facts that we can see and validate.

I also don't understand the "short, impoverished life" comment. You're just making stuff up now.

Running a bit short on time here.... I gotta make this quick... (got a roof to fix)....

I'm predicting the outcome of course - via extrapolation.

If you look at highly overpopulated areas -- consider India -- a full 12 years less expected lifespan than the USA -and India isn't exactly a third world country anymore- it's pretty easy to guess that things will get worse as populations increase further.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
12-10-2015, 10:25 AM
(12-10-2015 08:14 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  So you want forced abortion and sterilization? Because I see that as a complete disrespect of someone's right to control their own body. That's not me jumping to worst case, that is basically what every idea would break down to. Reproduction is our most basic human drives. People will not give that up willingly.

I do agree in overpopulation is a huge problem. In an ideal world everyone would only have one kid and that would be it. But thats not a reality.

Like that nut that used to come here and say all women who are post menopausal should be killed.

Because they're useless and a drain on resources or something totally asinine like that. Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-10-2015, 10:37 AM
(12-10-2015 07:46 AM)morondog Wrote:  I also apologise to this random dickhead who's "calling me out for my offensive behaviour". Sorry I made you feel uncomfortable.

So, why is that statement in quotes? That's what I really want to know.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
12-10-2015, 10:42 AM
(12-10-2015 08:49 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(12-10-2015 07:35 AM)BnW Wrote:  I still don't know what this has to do with over population. Please provide a citation - any citation - that backs that assertion up. Your assertion is in complete contradiction to the actual facts that we can see and validate.

I also don't understand the "short, impoverished life" comment. You're just making stuff up now.

Running a bit short on time here.... I gotta make this quick... (got a roof to fix)....

I'm predicting the outcome of course - via extrapolation.

If you look at highly overpopulated areas -- consider India -- a full 12 years less expected lifespan than the USA -and India isn't exactly a third world country anymore- it's pretty easy to guess that things will get worse as populations increase further.

I don't dispute over population is a problem. I dispute why giving paid family leave to new parents will have any impact on population at all. There is no evidence that this is going to result in additional children at all.

Well, that's not completely true. I have one piece of anecdotal evidence: my current employer gives 90 days partial paid leave to new parents, moms and dads. When I heard this, I tried to convince my wife we should have another kid so I can hang out at home for 3 months with a large percentage of my salary still paid.

She said "no".

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
12-10-2015, 10:45 AM
The whole topic is a huge mess. The deeper you dig, the messier it gets. From any perspective.

The thing is, we are not an island. We populate the world. I don't know about reducing population in one area/type of society and not in another. Certain cultures/religions will over run everything.

Then you have the issue with individual rights. Some cultures/religions value this very highly, some don't value it at all.

Then you have the issue of money - who doesn't want paid vacations? Who doesn't sooner or later end up in a situation where someone close needs constant assistance for a while? Who is supposed to pay for all of this?

I opted not to have children partially for financial reasons - and I am paying to put everyone's kids through school and for their medical care, and then I pay a huge property tax assessment every year for local schools. It's ok, kids are the future, but someplace there has to be a limit.

Too many people who cannot afford kids are giving birth at an alarming rate. I do have a beef with that. Globally.

It's a very messy topic, and everyone has some sort of horse in this race.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-10-2015, 11:09 AM
(12-10-2015 06:01 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I don't have a problem with maternity leave -- unpaid.

If you want kids - you should start off right -- by assuming full financial responsibility for them....

That would certainly be better than nothing. Knowing you can keep your job is better than losing it.

I'm just less bothered about the "getting paid" part than you are.
12-10-2015, 11:15 AM
(12-10-2015 11:09 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(12-10-2015 06:01 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I don't have a problem with maternity leave -- unpaid.

If you want kids - you should start off right -- by assuming full financial responsibility for them....

That would certainly be better than nothing. Knowing you can keep your job is better than losing it.

I'm just less bothered about the "getting paid" part than you are.

I guess the reason it bothers me is it sends a subtle message -- which is "Having Kids is Good".... The inferred --- and what person with an overbearing mother hasn't heard this: "When are we having grandchildren????" --- with the implied message that you're a selfish clod for not having kids.....

Not having kids has long been stigmatized.

That needs to change.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.