DEMOCRATS REMOVE GOD FROM PLATFORM...oh...uh...wait, it's back

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2012, 08:46 PM
DEMOCRATS REMOVE GOD FROM PLATFORM...oh...uh...wait, it's back
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2...ntion.html

Delegates and members of the Democratic party booed after former Gov. Ted Strickland (D-OH) discussed God and moved to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.

Convention chairman Antonio Villaraigosa, mayor of Los Angeles, had to ask for the Yea and Nay vote several times before declaring the motion passed.

C-SPAN cameras captured the dissatisfaction among members after the motion passed.

More information from the Associated Press:

Democrats have changed their convention platform to add a mention of God and declare that Jerusalem is the capital of Israel.

The move came after criticism from Republicans.

Many in the audience booed after the convention chairman, Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, ruled that the amendments had been approved despite the fact that a large group of delegates objected.

He called for a vote three times before ruling.

The party reinstated language from the 2008 platform that said "we need a government that stands up for the hopes, values and interests of working people and gives everyone willing to work hard the chance to make the most of their God-given potential."

The platform also now includes what advisers said was Obama's personal views on Jerusalem.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Jeff's post
05-09-2012, 08:57 PM
RE: DEMOCRATS REMOVE GOD FROM PLATFORM...oh...uh...wait, it's back
(05-09-2012 08:46 PM)Jeff Wrote:  http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2...ntion.html

Delegates and members of the Democratic party booed after former Gov. Ted Strickland (D-OH) discussed God and moved to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.

Convention chairman Antonio Villaraigosa, mayor of Los Angeles, had to ask for the Yea and Nay vote several times before declaring the motion passed.

C-SPAN cameras captured the dissatisfaction among members after the motion passed.

Democrats have changed their convention platform to add a mention of God and declare that Jerusalem is the capital of Israel.

Many in the audience booed after the convention chairman, Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, ruled that the amendments had been approved despite the fact that a large group of delegates objected.

The party reinstated language from the 2008 platform that said "we need a government that stands up for the hopes, values and interests of working people and gives everyone willing to work hard the chance to make the most of their God-given potential."

The platform also now includes what advisers said was Obama's personal views on Jerusalem.

And your point?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Vote Romney....lol

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
[+] 1 user Likes Seasbury's post
06-09-2012, 05:21 AM
(05-09-2012 08:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-09-2012 08:46 PM)Jeff Wrote:  http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2...ntion.html

And your point?

I thought the points were obvious, but I'll state them:

1. Excitement - a major party has removed "God" from it's platform. I'll bet there's an atheist forum around somewhere that might want to discuss this.

2. Disappointment - they put it back.

3. Contempt - a 50/50 voice vote is proclaimed to be a 2/3 majority. Sheep who have just had their power usurped don't even "baa".

Thanks for asking.Thumbsup
06-09-2012, 07:10 AM
I agree to the 3 points Jeff made here but I'd also like to add

4. Why would they recognize Jerusalem as capital?

Are they once again trying to show Israel that look, you can do whatever you want and disregard all international laws and human rights and we'll still support you and give you lots and lots of guns and money :-)

Sorry, I'm just a wee bit tired of the competition in the US to see who can pamper Israel the most... even though I have to say that after Romneys visit there it did seem like he would personally lick the feet of Netanyahu if he got the chance :-D
[+] 1 user Likes MAD's post
06-09-2012, 07:22 AM
(06-09-2012 05:21 AM)Jeff Wrote:  
(05-09-2012 08:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  And your point?

I thought the points were obvious, but I'll state them:

1. Excitement - a major party has removed "God" from it's platform. I'll bet there's an atheist forum around somewhere that might want to discuss this.

2. Disappointment - they put it back.

3. Contempt - a 50/50 voice vote is proclaimed to be a 2/3 majority. Sheep who have just had their power usurped don't even "baa".

Thanks for asking.Thumbsup

Looks like normal political party platform process to me.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
06-09-2012, 10:15 AM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2012 10:48 AM by TrulyX.)
I was pissed off.

Politically, however, Democrats are in tough water, so you kind of gotta do what you gotta do. Atheists, and the people that got upset about the Jerusalem thing, are really the only people left that Democrats can safely throw under the bus and expect to win.

Back in the day, especially without the Tea Party and enthusiasm gap, they had the room to throw groups under the bus, to gain votes elsewhere, without sacrificing an unfavorable number of the votes from that usual constituency. They could do that with the poor, blacks, Latinos, gays, atheists, some other religious groups, environmentalists, people further to the left, etc. Right now, though, they really need enthusiasm from a lot of groups, and they are open in supporting certain groups, so it's tough to play it off to gain those other votes.

Republican right now are lucky, because they can throw all of those groups under the bus, and then some. That will just gain enthusiasm for them. They have a lot of room to play with politically. It will be nice in 20-30 years or sooner, when the population starts becoming open an diverse, and they won't be able to do that any more. Politics will be on an even playing field.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
06-09-2012, 01:33 PM
(06-09-2012 05:21 AM)Jeff Wrote:  1. Excitement - a major party has removed "God" from it's platform. I'll bet there's an atheist forum around somewhere that might want to discuss this.
It would be much better if atheists recognized that their best action is to abandon both of the political parties as erroneous, and place their alliance with a more appropriate party, because the Dems have recognized that they get more from the religious homos and feminists then the poor atheists who don't have much of an eletoral effect on the elections.

It does not matter if atheists can reason better than anyone else.

Too bad atheists cannot actually reason better government policy than the rest of the people, because that would be an advantage.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
06-09-2012, 01:38 PM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2012 01:49 PM by TrainWreck.)
(06-09-2012 07:10 AM)MAD Wrote:  4. Why would they recognize Jerusalem as capital?

I think there is a Republican coup in the Democrat convention - speakers and delegates.

I heard Ann Coultur on a radio interview describing that at the Republican Convention when they had Democrat operative hecklers, the delegates would shout "USA" drown them out. I would imagine that Republican operatives would be much more numerous and much more operative.

Sandra Fluk was interviewed this morning by Geraldo Rivera and it confirmed a suspicion I had back in the Spring when her activism gained attention - there was something amiss about her credentials that caught my attention, but let it go because I didn't really care. I am pretty sure she is a Republican operative gaining access to some of Obama's secret political strategy meetings.

Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
06-09-2012, 01:40 PM
(06-09-2012 10:15 AM)TrulyX Wrote:  It will be nice in 20-30 years or sooner, when the population starts becoming open and diverse, and they won't be able to do that any more. Politics will be on an even playing field.

We'll need a new constitution - got one?