DFW Freethinker

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2014, 08:25 PM
DFW Freethinker
Hello everyone!

I think I may have done one of these about a year ago but then I stopped coming around. I'm looking to get to know like-minded people and since I am a 'religious' listener of this podcast, I figure this is a great place to start.

I grew up assemblies of god and my family are still practicing and devoted. For reasons none of you care to hear just yet, my atheism is only known to two close friends and one family member (who is also an atheist). Like lots of other people here, there are about 100 reasons why I haven't come out. Maybe someday, but I don't feel a pressing need for that right now as none in my family are pressuring me with religion or asking me to attend church (I'm 31 and live on my own so that helps Tongue).

I've been an atheist for only about a year. My deconversion began when my roommate began having questions about her Mormonism and it was a pretty quick unraveling process. I attribute my 'light bulb' moment to a video interview on YouTube video of Bishop John Shelby Spong about Hell being an invention of the church (HERE if you;re interested). It's odd what simple phrases, when said out loud, can cast a whole new light on your entire life and all you know about the universe.

I am now sorry I couldn't appreciate Hitchens when he was alive.
Carl Sagan and Neil Degrasse Tyson are my heroes.
Space is my new obsession.

Anyway, probably more of an intro than most of you were up for hearing, but I look forward to getting to know some of you as well Smile

"The church doesn't like for people to grow up because you can't control grown ups. That's why we talk about being 'born again'. When you're 'born again,' you're still a child. People don't need to be born again, they need to grow up." --Bishop John Shelby Spong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2014, 08:34 PM
RE: DFW Freethinker
Welcome...DFW area here too.

Glad to have you here.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
06-02-2014, 09:06 PM
RE: DFW Freethinker
Bienvenidos! Your story is a familiar one, you are among friends. Cool

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user