DIY household products?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2014, 06:40 PM
DIY household products?
Probably a thread for a select few, but I've been on a bit of a search with regards to what household (and body) products contain what nasty chemicals.

I've been surprised at the amount carcinogens and toxins are in air freshener aerosols and other household products, needless chemicals in lotions and soaps and I have been interested in making my own products out of essential oils, fruit derivatives and whatever base products I can find without having all the tat.

I have kind of worked out that it might be cheaper in the long run, or even on a par with buying the usual aerosols and such from a supermarket. The only problem is it's a little bit pricey to start off with (it's all a bit of a stretch currently as we've got very little to spend at the moment).

Has anyone gone this route before and found it cheaper or has any advice?

"God is a thought who makes crooked all that is straight." - Nietzsche

You can follow/read my blog on religious text and things related at: http://alookatholytext.wordpress.com/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2014, 06:49 PM
RE: DIY household products?
(03-01-2014 06:40 PM)SpaceMonkey Wrote:  Probably a thread for a select few, but I've been on a bit of a search with regards to what household (and body) products contain what nasty chemicals.

I've been surprised at the amount carcinogens and toxins are in air freshener aerosols and other household products, needless chemicals in lotions and soaps and I have been interested in making my own products out of essential oils, fruit derivatives and whatever base products I can find without having all the tat.

I have kind of worked out that it might be cheaper in the long run, or even on a par with buying the usual aerosols and such from a supermarket. The only problem is it's a little bit pricey to start off with (it's all a bit of a stretch currently as we've got very little to spend at the moment).

Has anyone gone this route before and found it cheaper or has any advice?

There are many sources for these already, I believe. Like this one.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-01-2014, 06:52 PM
most household cleaning can be done with white vinegar and baking soda. It sanitizes and deodorizes.

a friend uses olive oil on her face…(but google than one because I think there's this whole castor oil/olive oil thing that I think she follows).

I have also seen a few lists that rate certain products…..the name is slipping me at the moment….Dove soap usually scores pretty well and isn't too pricey.

I have used the crystal deodorant and it worked well enough for me. Smellier/sweatier people might need more.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
03-01-2014, 06:53 PM
Onions, lemons and eggs is all you need to have a perfect skin with a delicious salad aroma Smile

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
03-01-2014, 07:10 PM
Thanks Chaz! I try to find lots of source info, found a few bits but the more the merrier! Smile

Bows, there's always other elements in the oils, haha. I've thought about crystal deodorants. I get paranoid though about how I might possibly smell after a length of time after certain deodorants Big Grin I should give it a go though.

Nach.... everyone loves salad.

Smile

You can follow/read my blog on religious text and things related at: http://alookatholytext.wordpress.com/
05-01-2014, 08:28 AM
Did you watch Chemerical?
It's a documentary about a family getting rid of all their chemical laden products and making stuff on their own. It's pretty informative and they give some resources and recipes, too.
05-01-2014, 11:19 AM
I'll have to look out for that. Thanks Colourcraze Smile

05-01-2014, 10:05 PM
(05-01-2014 11:19 AM)SpaceMonkey Wrote:  I'll have to look out for that. Thanks Colourcraze Smile

No problem Thumbsup
I'm pretty sure I watched it on Hulu.
06-01-2014, 05:06 AM
I use watered down bleach or watered down ammonia for most of my household cleaning. For air freshening I use one of those hippy oil burners with cheap essential oils. Our local health food store has a lot of that now brand. Diiiiiirt cheap.

DIY bathroom products? Yeah, I could fill this thread with a novel length essay. Smile My focus is more on cost effectiveness than natural/organic. (I use parabens, propylene glycol, the works.) But if you have any questions on X or Y type of product, I could point you in the right direction. I think the biggest learning curve for most people is preservatives and emulsifiers.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
06-01-2014, 12:05 PM
I take it preservatives and emulsifiers bad?