DJL Creationism taught in Schools
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2014, 10:01 PM
RE: DJL Creationism taught in Schools
(22-02-2014 09:26 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I have a habit of reading the end of long posts before dipping in to the detail.

I think this goes back to an exam I did when I was 9 or 10.

The top of the paper stated:
"Read all questions before answering"
I did.
I think that everyone else in the room must have interpreted that as "Read each question before answering".
I got up and left while the others spent 2 hours working away.
After the last question, the paper stated:
"No questions need to be answered".
We had one of those in the 6th grade. I and this really smart girl (she finished before me) were the only two who left the room.

Quote:So, I have read only the last bit of the previous post and see that Drich has given up.
yes you win

Quote:In a way, I am disappointed as I had only just started to roll up my sleeves.
Dodgy I don't think it would have helped you any, but as I am the oone who quit/lost we will never know will we.Wink

Quote:I think this has been a good example of epistemological relativism and of the need to establish definitions nice and early. I think there was some syntactical relativism going on there too Big Grin
Laugh out load

Quote:Once The Ref (Moms) opens this up, I would appreciate comments regarding the approach I have taken here:
If you are really open to suggestion I would be happy to give you an failure report if your open to criticism.

Quote:My formal education ended 30 years ago and I never experienced anything like a university debate society so this is the first time I have tried this and wasn't sure how it would go.
this was my 3rd time?

Quote:I feel I have complied with the rules as stated by Drich.
I was open about my method by linking to it in my opening remarks:
[quote]
Well, all except the caveat concerning topic. otherwise you did good till you assumed that my 'terse responses' were not calculated. 'Fight your enemy where he is not.' & appear weak when you are strong and strong when you are weak.
-Sun Tzu

Quote:How to compose a successful critical commentary:
1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.
Ironically if you would have followed your own rules and not gone off the reservation with your own selfrighteous definations of words anyone can look up, we would be having a very different discussion right now. rather you seeking validation for your failed efforts from your peers, which will result in name calling and verbal back pats for your efforts.. Common it wasn't that bad. you did a better job than most.

Your initial failure was your topic of Choice. It did not comply with the topic requirements you agreed to. this was the beginning of the end.

Your want and desire to be the savior of your brethren and the self righteousness it took to tear out a piece of your own personal dictionary, along with your assement of my children's mental stability due to being 'taught differently' than how you wanted your kids raised.. made it too enjoyiable for me to not make the effort to take an equal amount of ass-holiness and force feed you some of your own crap back at you.

Someone here has pointed out that I am still a bully at heart. This is completely true. It takes every ounce of self control I have to not spoon feed all of you poop when you flinge it at me. On the rare occasion (2 times in what 400+ posts) I get to let the bully in me bully a bully.. Get it? (I am bully and I get to bully you for tring to be a bully..)

Anyway, thanks. I helps me to let the smaller arguments go when I know I get to kick the teeth of a teeth kicker..

If you want to try again (this time on topic) leave the attitude and I promise to do the same. I goto great lengths to play nice when every thing and everyone is above board.

The Index: A/S/K Ask Seek Knock as outlined by Luke 11:5-13
Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

If you want to ask me a question feel free to Pm me or E/M me. I will not speak of it to anyone.
Find all posts by this user
22-02-2014, 10:06 PM
This debate is over. At the request of DLJ I'll keep this thread open for a few days for post debate chatter/comments/feedback, etc.

Please restrict your comments to what was mentioned in the debate and not directly engage the debate participants with added questions to clarify their postion or continue debate. Feedback on this debate is most welcomed.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

22-02-2014, 10:12 PM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2014 10:19 PM by DLJ.)
Moms informs me that the boxing ring can't be opened up for debate and suggests I start a thread in The Colosseum.

I'll do that later as I have to travel now.

Also, I will read Drich's last post properly later but I just had to comment on this gem because I did actually (absolutely, factually, etc.) LOL.

(22-02-2014 03:17 PM)Drich Wrote:  ...
Dictionaries are considered to be primary source material and in of themselves represent absolutes in human knowledge concerning the subjects they cover. to argue your truth-ie-ness against a primary source reference.
http://www.lib.umd.edu/tl/guides/primary...es#primary

This teeth in kicking has been brought to you by the merrium-webster dictionary and the number 2SmartassLaugh out loadLaughat

From the link:
Quote:Secondary sources

Definition:
Secondary sources are less easily defined than primary sources. Generally, they are accounts written after the fact with the benefit of hindsight. They are interpretations and evaluations of primary sources. Secondary sources are not evidence, but rather commentary on and discussion of evidence. However, what some define as a secondary source, others define as a tertiary source. Context is everything.
Examples include:
Dictionaries,
Facepalm

Way to kick yourself in the teeth.
Now I understand why you threw in the towel. That looks nasty, you should put something on that. Tongue

As Samuel Johnson himself said that writing his dictionary was like trying to "lash the wind".

EDIT: Thanks Moms. That saves me some effort. Cheers
EDIT EDIT: I see another post from Drich, I'll read it later. Thanks

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
23-02-2014, 12:00 AM
(22-02-2014 10:12 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Moms informs me that the boxing ring can't be opened up for debate and suggests I start a thread in The Colosseum.

I'll do that later as I have to travel now.

Also, I will read Drich's last post properly later but I just had to comment on this gem because I did actually (absolutely, factually, etc.) LOL.

(22-02-2014 03:17 PM)Drich Wrote:  ...
Dictionaries are considered to be primary source material and in of themselves represent absolutes in human knowledge concerning the subjects they cover. to argue your truth-ie-ness against a primary source reference.
http://www.lib.umd.edu/tl/guides/primary...es#primary

This teeth in kicking has been brought to you by the merrium-webster dictionary and the number 2SmartassLaugh out loadLaughat

From the link:
Quote:Secondary sources

Definition:
Secondary sources are less easily defined than primary sources. Generally, they are accounts written after the fact with the benefit of hindsight. They are interpretations and evaluations of primary sources. Secondary sources are not evidence, but rather commentary on and discussion of evidence. However, what some define as a secondary source, others define as a tertiary source. Context is everything.
Examples include:
Dictionaries,
Facepalm

Way to kick yourself in the teeth.
Now I understand why you threw in the towel. That looks nasty, you should put something on that. Tongue

As Samuel Johnson himself said that writing his dictionary was like trying to "lash the wind".

EDIT: Thanks Moms. That saves me some effort. Cheers
EDIT EDIT: I see another post from Drich, I'll read it later. Thanks

You are right dictionaries are secondary sources. Now how does that change anything? Besides that I made a labeling error?

Does it change the fact that you made up your own definitions and tried to pass them off as being authentic? Does it change the fact that when you compare your made up definitions to the actual definitions there is a massive descrepency in all but one of your personal definitions?

The Index: A/S/K Ask Seek Knock as outlined by Luke 11:5-13
Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

If you want to ask me a question feel free to Pm me or E/M me. I will not speak of it to anyone.
23-02-2014, 01:22 AM
(23-02-2014 12:00 AM)Drich Wrote:  ...
Now how does that change anything?

I am calling into question your understanding of the term 'absolute' and by association, your epistemology.

Challenging me by PM and then admitting your error publicly is something that I applaud. That was honourable and worthy of note. Thank you.

It's a shame we didn't get any further, I had a nice piece ready about the Thai creation myth as a comparison to the Judaic one to emphasise the cultural value of exposure to a variety of folklore.

Still, it was an enjoyable exercise even if we didn't get beyond defining our terms.

Thank you.

23-02-2014, 08:15 AM
Interesting!

Angel oi
[+] 1 user Likes Lalida's post
23-02-2014, 08:28 PM
Lovely. D-Wreck demonstrates his fundamental dishonesty and monumental capacity for self-delusion once again. No surprise here.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Thread Closed