DNA

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2011, 07:23 AM
DNA
I am no expert on DNA, whatsoever. Not a good way to start off a thread about DNA is it? I have been reading a paper on the Cambrian Radiation and I came across some interesting information (I came across a lot of interesting information) that reminded me of a creationist argument. That is the argument that evolution can't add new "information" to DNA to "create" a new organism. Needless to say this is refuted through processes that actually do increase the number of base pairs, but this paper mentioned another unique characteristic that we are only beginning to realize the significance of. The fact that DNA is combinatorial. How I interpret this (based on this paper) is that it is not the amount of base pairs present, but the possible combinations that exist that are responsible for part of the disparity of organisms. The point of the argument in this article is that the ancestor to all organisms radiated very rapidly (20-65 million years) into most of the major phyla. In order to do so the assumption is that the descendants would have been closely related but new combinations of genes enabled new morphologies never seen before.

If you are interested (and have access) the article is "Explaining the Cambrian 'Explosion' of Animals" by Charles R. Marshall, 2006; Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Science.

Anyone got any other information on DNA as it relates to this argument or any corrections to mine? As I said I am no expert so I love information on it!

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2011, 10:53 AM
RE: DNA
DNA is a myth.

Just kidding, but the article sounds interesting I am currently trying to procure a pilfered version for myself.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-09-2011, 02:18 PM
RE: DNA
If you wish to know more about DNA in general, then Wikipedia is a good place to start:
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Dna

However, beware the article is written in anything but a simple language and that single words, processes and so on may require additional research.

The paper you are describing sure sounds interesting. It's a good thing that Harvard University have such things freely available on there website Wink

Sincerely TE
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes TitanusEramius's post