DNA and RNA

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2012, 09:41 AM
RE: DNA and RNA
I think RNA is the same thing for everything, used as essentially lines of code for proteins, although I'm not sure.

I'm not sure if damaged DNA can be repaired (I'll need to look that up), i know that damaging the DNA of viruses is one of the things they do when making a vaccine, to prevent the virus from replicating, since the antigens on the viral coat is what your immune system recognizes as foreign.

But i do know that inside you cells there are free DNA nucleotides which are used when the DNA replicates to form the daughter strands. so i don't think RNA is really needed, except maybe when a protein is required such as polymerase (enzyme).

I know for a fact that there is much more to it than what I've mentioned, but my knowledge is just what I've learned at college and back when i was at school, and they need to cut loads out, because there is so much involved in it.

I'm not to sure if retro viruses RNA is different, interestingly enough they use their RNA to create DNA ( i never knew this until just now) which takes over the host cells processes. Wiki link

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2012, 09:48 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2012 09:56 AM by robotworld.)
(01-04-2012 07:47 AM)Dragon-Wolf Wrote:  From what I gather, RNA is supposed to be more malleable than DNA which allows it to literally "shape" itself however it sees fit.

I am wondering if RNA is somehow used to repair damage to DNA or at some point was functional in a type of healing process that we no longer have.
But then again RNA seems to be a sort of "instruction manual" for the blueprint which is the DNA.
However RNA for viruses would have to be different yet again, I would think, since its primary function would be to somehow alter the contagion so that it can bypass the immune systems primary defenses or something whereas the RNA in our bodies appear to function as repair systems. Maybe?
Well, there's mRNA (messenger RNA), tRNA (transfer RNA), rRNA (ribosomal RNA), miRNA (micro RNA)... which have various functions and are critical in the process of gene expression, specifically translation. miRNA is used in control of gene expression, mRNA as the template for translation, rRNA forms the ribosomes which translation takes place, tRNA carries various amino acids into the ribosomal complex.

The RNA is our body is derived from DNA via transcription. And indeed RNA is important in various processes involving DNA such as DNA replication where RNA is used as primers.

RNA in viruses are like the DNA in our body - they are the genetic blueprints for these viruses. These viruses utilisereverse transcription to form DNA via reverse transcriptase. This allows the viral DNA to integrate itself into the DNA of a cell, hijacking its gene expression mechanism.

EDIT: Missed out one part. Yes, DNA can be repaired through various pathways. One of them uses the p53 protein, which binds to DNA and summons the relevant DNA repair proteins, such as p21. If the DNA cannot be repaired, the cell undergoes apoptosis, aka SELF DESTRUCT MODE. Some proteins utilise RNA as their active sites such as telomerase which uses RNA to extend the telomeres (ends of the chromosomes).

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
[+] 2 users Like robotworld's post
01-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Thanks.

Robotworld what do you work as?, It must be in a biology field.

02-04-2012, 03:29 AM
(01-04-2012 11:01 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Thanks.

Robotworld what do you work as?, It must be in a biology field.
I'm a student Tongue

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
03-04-2012, 03:11 PM
(02-04-2012 03:29 AM)robotworld Wrote:  I'm a student Tongue

Close enough Tongue.

They don't even cover that stuff in my course, it just seems to be the basics of DNA/Chromosome replication and protein synthesis that we do.