DNA testing for ancestry?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-02-2015, 05:07 PM
DNA testing for ancestry?
Has anyone had their DNA tested not just for genetic diseases but for ancestry. Half of my ancestry is a mystery on my mothers side so I'm considering getting DNA testing for the genealogical information. Ancestry.com has this service but I don't know if their service is very scientific.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2015, 05:27 AM
RE: DNA testing for ancestry?
I think I've heard about one from National Geographic, but I can't remember that one.

I'm still trying to save money to do the 23andme one, which seems very interesting and thousands of people have done it already.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
02-02-2015, 05:37 AM
According to Wiki, Ancestry has 12.7 billion records. I don't think that's too bad.

I'm also curious to see what a test would say for me, although I don't expect particular surprises. Tongue

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
02-02-2015, 05:48 AM
(02-02-2015 05:37 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  According to Wiki, Ancestry has 12.7 billion records. I don't think that's too bad.

I'm also curious to see what a test would say for me, although I don't expect particular surprises. Tongue

Those are simply name records, not DNA records, no? Consider

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
02-02-2015, 06:11 AM
I've never understood the fascination.

A bunch of dead people.

And??

What's it got to do with me?

Those dead guys wouldn't be any more impressed of me than me of them.......

I guess I'm missing something....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
02-02-2015, 08:55 AM
I've done a couple of versions of it. Familytreedna.com, 23andme.com, the national geographic genographic project all do it. The genographic project is neat, because it gives you your Y-DNA, haplogroup, mitochondrial DNA haplogroup, % of your DNA that comes from each region, and it also gives how much % of your DNA is Neanderthal and Denisovan. It also allows you to transfer your data to Familytreedna.com and it will show matches of your Y DNA and mitochondrial DNA in their database, so you could find relatives on the maternal line of your mom. One of the interesting things that arose for me, is that 2% of my DNA was sub-Saharan, which means that around 7 generations back, I have an African ancestor of which I had no idea, but after doing more research, I found is very common for Latin Americans.
02-02-2015, 09:26 AM
(02-02-2015 05:48 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(02-02-2015 05:37 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  According to Wiki, Ancestry has 12.7 billion records. I don't think that's too bad.

Those are simply name records, not DNA records, no? Consider

Well, I suppose so, but that's still a lot of records. Big Grin I'm sure they can link those to the DNA database(s).

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
02-02-2015, 09:52 AM
(02-02-2015 06:11 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I've never understood the fascination.

A bunch of dead people.

And??

Well, I love history. I have a gigantic history book that tracks the movement around the world of groups of people going back 20,000 years. It's a fascinating book, but I'd like to see where some of my ancestors immigrated from and maybe see how they might have fit into that big ol' history book.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
02-02-2015, 09:54 AM
(02-02-2015 08:55 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  I've done a couple of versions of it. Familytreedna.com, 23andme.com, the national geographic genographic project all do it. The genographic project is neat, because it gives you your Y-DNA, haplogroup, mitochondrial DNA haplogroup, % of your DNA that comes from each region, and it also gives how much % of your DNA is Neanderthal and Denisovan. It also allows you to transfer your data to Familytreedna.com and it will show matches of your Y DNA and mitochondrial DNA in their database, so you could find relatives on the maternal line of your mom. One of the interesting things that arose for me, is that 2% of my DNA was sub-Saharan, which means that around 7 generations back, I have an African ancestor of which I had no idea, but after doing more research, I found is very common for Latin Americans.

Yup, mine was 3%. I guess having the Moors occupying the Iberian Peninsula for 700 years accounts for that.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
02-02-2015, 10:06 AM
(02-02-2015 09:52 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(02-02-2015 06:11 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I've never understood the fascination.

A bunch of dead people.

And??

Well, I love history. I have a gigantic history book that tracks the movement around the world of groups of people going back 20,000 years. It's a fascinating book, but I'd like to see where some of my ancestors immigrated from and maybe see how they might have fit into that big ol' history book.
I agree with you that history is fascinating....

I guess I just don't see the history of relatives I've never met as very interesting.

Of course they were just a bunch of dirt farmers... Not a whole lotta excitement there.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.